DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568199-nbc-lets-see-how-low-we-can-go-conan-thread-part-2-a.html)

anomynous 01-20-10 10:44 PM

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Yes, finally the Bear is back

shaun3000 01-20-10 10:46 PM

:up::up::up::up::up::up:
:lol:rotfl

JuryDuty 01-20-10 10:46 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5WarA5xnNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5WarA5xnNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Letterman and Johnny talk about Letterman losing the show to Leno. Starts around 3:00. Insightful--especially where Letterman says he would only be mad if he were offered the Tonight Show and then NBC took it away in 3 weeks... :O

anomynous 01-20-10 10:47 PM

Now we need Triumph one last time, and for Will Ferrel to do his strip tease on Friday.

siddd5 01-20-10 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9954076)
siddd5 -

care to expand on this statement you previously made:
why are you sure he won't pay any money to his staff?

Conan's negotiating with NBC so that NBC will cough up more severance to his staff (IE: Coming out of NBC's pocket, not Conan's).

I know this for a fact : ABC had paid out 1 week of severance for every year that you've been an employee with the company when there were network cuts a few months ago. What Conan is asking for (for his staff) is a HELLUVA lot more than what ABC was dishing out.

Regarding the name 'The Tonight Show' : nobody in the general public who watches a late nite show gives 2 shits what the show name is. They only care who the host is. They stopped watching because they preferred Jay Leno to Conan O'Brien at 11:30. Since that wasn't a possibility (at the time), they tuned into Dave instead. Its hard to believe that a smart guy like Conan would put so much stock into the 'Tonight Show' name. It ultimately meant nothing.

Drav3n 01-20-10 10:50 PM

awesome so far! masturbating bear and ed helms! :up:

stingermck 01-20-10 10:59 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

shaun3000 01-20-10 10:59 PM

rotfl
$1.5 million

Renee 01-20-10 10:59 PM

I'm actually crying from laughing so hard at this "Satisfaction" bit! Brilliant!!!

TheNightFlier 01-20-10 11:00 PM

1.5 million plus the huge grin :lol:

Deftones 01-20-10 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by siddd5 (Post 9954615)
Conan's negotiating with NBC so that NBC will cough up more severance to his staff (IE: Coming out of NBC's pocket, not Conan).

I know this for a fact : ABC had paid out 1 week of severance for every year that you've been an employee when there were network cuts a few months ago. What Conan is asking for (for his staff) is a HELLUVA lot more than what ABC was dishing out.

On a separate note: Conan just did the masturbating bear bit tonite. Good stuff.

sure, he's negotiating it, but if NBC said go F yourself, you know Conan would keep his staff afloat until they landed the gig at Fox or where ever else they land. he's shown that he's that type of guy.

Brent L 01-20-10 11:02 PM

Just brilliant. :lol:

Now take it to the next step and have that be the classic Tonight Show moment for tomorrow night.

Geofferson 01-20-10 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier (Post 9954636)

Agreed, that was awesome! :up:

Renee 01-20-10 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9954642)
Just brilliant. :lol:

Now take it to the next step and have that be the classic Tonight Show moment for tomorrow night.

That's a great idea. I would love to see that happen.

dad1153 01-20-10 11:07 PM

Call me crazy but I think O'Brien is stalling on finalizing the severance deal with NBC hoping against hope that a Hail Mary intervention (Comcast? Angels? Common sense?) will allow him to keep "The Tonight Show." Signing the severance contract means crossing the line of no return and Conan wants to wait until the last possible second before letting go of the show he dreamt all his life of hosting. Plus it allows him to keep jabbing at NBC while he's still hosting the aforementioned show. :p

siddd5 01-20-10 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9954640)
sure, he's negotiating it, but if NBC said go F yourself, you know Conan would keep his staff afloat until they landed the gig at Fox or where ever else they land. he's shown that he's that type of guy.

Conan would pay his ENTIRE staff for 8 months from his own money???? Maybe some of the PA's who make 35k a year. He wouldn't pay Max or his band or Andy their full salaries. No way.

My Other Self 01-20-10 11:14 PM

http://tv.gawker.com/5453348/late-ni...g-bear-returns

story 01-20-10 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dad1153 (Post 9954656)
Call me crazy but I think O'Brien is stalling on finalizing the severance deal with NBC hoping against hope that a Hail Mary intervention (Comcast? Angels? Common sense?) will allow him to keep "The Tonight Show."

Ha! Now who's hoping against hope?!

...me...

JasonF 01-20-10 11:21 PM

rotfl Awesome! I thought it was brilliant last night when he had Max play Misty Mountain Hop coming out of a break and commented on how expensive Zeppelin is, but this takes it to the next level.

kefrank 01-20-10 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by siddd5 (Post 9954615)
Conan's negotiating with NBC so that NBC will cough up more severance to his staff (IE: Coming out of NBC's pocket, not Conan's).

But that's not consistent with what you originally said. You originally said Conan is getting $40 million dollars none of which would go to his staff, when the reports of a $40 million deal specified that millions of that total were for his staff's severance.

What's keeping you from admitting that you were wrong? It's all about EGO! ;)

kefrank 01-20-10 11:29 PM

Truly hilarious!

Nefarious 01-20-10 11:38 PM

Missed this bit. Please fill us in.

pinata242 01-20-10 11:41 PM

"NBC: Nothing But ****s!" rotfl

MvRojo 01-21-10 12:03 AM

From DeadlineHollywoodDaily.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/an...-at-letterman/

Tonight, during his monologue, Jay Leno said, "Letterman has been hammering me every night. Going after me… hey kev, you know the best way to get letterman to ignore you? Marry him. He will not bother you. He won’t look you in the eye…"
I don't watch Leno, so I didn't see it, but this is starting to cross a line. This joke seems a little more personal.

Achtung 01-21-10 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 9954669)
Ha! Now who's hoping against hope?!

...me...

I know people with the personality of Jeff Zucker. They don't admit their mistakes, regardless of how badly they get egg on their faces.

Conan could average 40 million viewers this week and he wouldn't be convinced to do anything but bring Leno back.