DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568199-nbc-lets-see-how-low-we-can-go-conan-thread-part-2-a.html)

Achtung 01-21-10 12:05 AM

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9954697)
Missed this bit. Please fill us in.

http://tv.gawker.com/5453348/cocos-r...-trade-insults

BravesMG 01-21-10 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by MvRojo (Post 9954725)
From DeadlineHollywoodDaily.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/an...-at-letterman/

I don't watch Leno, so I didn't see it, but this is starting to cross a line. This joke seems a little more personal.

I saw this clip. It's hard to feel any sympathy for Dave with how he has been KILLING Leno every night, but this one did seem a little more personal. I wouldn't call it over the line though, at this point I'm surprised they're not posting cell phone numbers of their relatives or something.

What was funny about that comment was that I heard more boos than cheers in Jay's audience when he said that.

Boba Fett 01-21-10 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by BravesMG (Post 9954736)
I saw this clip. It's hard to feel any sympathy for Dave with how he has been KILLING Leno every night, but this one did seem a little more personal. I wouldn't call it over the line though, at this point I'm surprised they're not posting cell phone numbers of their relatives or something.

What was funny about that comment was that I heard more boos than cheers in Jay's audience when he said that.

If it's any consolation, he's just asking Letterman to take it more personal and as bad as Letterman has hit him so far, I doubt we've seen just how nasty he'll get.

Letterman alluded the other night to how the real Jay Leno acted off camera when they were cordial years before the Carson incident. That could come back to hurt Leno' image big time.

RichC2 01-21-10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9954697)
Missed this bit. Please fill us in.

http://tv.gawker.com/5453348/late-ni...g-bear-returns

3rd clip

I would LOVE for Letterman to be his last guest on Friday. Won't happen but man it should.

wirefan 01-21-10 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9954209)
I'm sure Jay has a lawyer (or a team of them), but it seems clear it isn't a situation where he really has a manager or agent -- we know who the players there are.

I'm suggesting that even professionals get caught up in what the paradigm is and that Jay's team pretty obviously was far less concerned with the paradigm. They got 2 years because they asked. Maybe that's because he's Jay Leno and they were desperate. Maybe it's just because he asked and nobody else does.

And this clever group of lawyers came up with the 2004 contract too? ;) This is just a case of Leno having an insane amount of leverage. NBC would look like even bigger jackasses (if that's possible) if Conan took over in 2009 and Jay went to another network and beat him instead of doing this 10pm/developmental deal - Leno knew this and if there were any lawyers involved they knew it too... this is not about "paradigm breaking". They got 2 years because NBC had backed themselves into a corner and had no choice (and I suspect Leno knew the show would suck and NBC would be forced between paying him 150mil or giving him the Tonight Show back).

150mil also helps me now understand how his new show sucked even more than the Tonight show... exactly what incentive did Jay have to make the show work when if it failed he'd either get paid 150mil or get the Tonight Show back? Knowing this I'm surprised he didn't come out in a bathrobe, kick his feet up and light a cigar with a $100billl at the start of every show.

For me this contract confirms that this whole thing was plotted by Leno when he signed on to do the 10pm show (or he at least had it in mind as a distinct possibility)... there's no reason to have a 150mil buyout except to put in an insane poision pill and leverage another more desirable job (I don't know, maybe The Tonight Show?)

monkish 01-21-10 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9954678)
rotfl Awesome! I thought it was brilliant last night when he had Max play Misty Mountain Hop coming out of a break and commented on how expensive Zeppelin is, but this takes it to the next level.

It's been fun to hear Conan's band play real songs for bumper and guest intro music this week, and not the generic stuff they've had to use during the whole "Tonight Show" run 'til now (I'm sure the generic music was a network-forced cost-cutting measure). In addition to Zep, they've done "Johnny B. Goode", "Misirlou", "Tomorrow Never Knows"... all kinds of cool tunes, like they used to do in the "Late Night" days. Another welcome side effect of the new "eh, screw 'em" attitude. :D

MvRojo 01-21-10 02:01 AM

^Well, it's also a budget issue since they have a budget for a years worth of shows. Now Conan can blow as much as he can of it in the next couple days.

FiveO 01-21-10 06:31 AM

32 Million for Conan....12 Million for his staff:

Done Deal: O'Brien Leaves 'Tonight Show' Friday

LOS ANGELES (AP) ―

NBC says it has reached a deal with "Tonight" host Conan O'Brien for his exit from the show, allowing Jay Leno to return to the late-night program he hosted for 17 years. The deal is worth a reported $44 million.

Network spokeswoman Allison Gollust confirmed the deal early Thursday but did not offer any other details. Earlier, The Wall Street Journal reported that O'Brien will get $32 million and that the network agreed to pay his staff $12 million in severance.

The announcement comes seven months after O'Brien took the reins from Leno.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/21/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

http://wcco.com/national/leno.obrien.nbc.2.1439569.html

CTUK 01-21-10 06:50 AM

According to Z100, ALL intellectual property will remain with NBC :(

Count Dooku 01-21-10 07:02 AM

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HLyX4DbE6Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HLyX4DbE6Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Luds 01-21-10 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by CTUK (Post 9954913)

Along with the Veyron I hope ;)

anomynous 01-21-10 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by CTUK (Post 9954913)

Fail.

Oh well, here comes the Pleasuring Panda and Triumph the Insult Comic Cat

chuckd21 01-21-10 09:18 AM

Here's why I'm okay with Dave attacking Jay but not with Jay attacking Dave...

Dave's jokes about Jay have not necessarily been personal attacks. They've been professional ones, about his business dealings and behavior within the business. All Jay can seem to do is attack Dave personally, and that just seems pathetic. I've always been indifferent to Jay, even during this nonsense. But jokes about Dave's personal life really don't even seem to be in the same ballfield as Dave's jokes about Jay's work behavior.

WallyOPD 01-21-10 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9955082)

Dave's jokes about Jay have not necessarily been personal attacks. They've been professional ones, about his business dealings and behavior within the business. All Jay can seem to do is attack Dave personally, and that just seems pathetic. I've always been indifferent to Jay, even during this nonsense. But jokes about Dave's personal life really don't even seem to be in the same ballfield as Dave's jokes about Jay's work behavior.

Sleeping with several staffers isn't work behavior?

RichC2 01-21-10 09:36 AM

They dropped the Bugatti/Satisfaction clip from the Hulu reair :lol:

chuckd21 01-21-10 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD (Post 9955116)
Sleeping with several staffers isn't work behavior?

No. You know exactly what I meant.

boogieman03 01-21-10 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9955117)

rotfl

Cory02 01-21-10 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9955117)

Damn...guess the total price isn't $1.5 million after all.

dx23 01-21-10 10:10 AM

What I would love is to see all the fans of Conan show up as audience members when Jay returns to the show. I want to see that return filled with jeers and hate towards Jay.

Nefarious 01-21-10 10:29 AM

Or just a nice Conan! Conan! chant.

nightwing82 01-21-10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9955175)
What I would love is to see all the fans of Conan show up as audience members when Jay returns to the show. I want to see that return filled with jeers and hate towards Jay.

The Tonight Show isn't live, it is taped -- there is no way they'd allow Jay's return episode to contain chants for Conan and jeers at the Leno.

outcastja 01-21-10 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9955175)

Or if the front row audience just sits there when Jay does his shaking hands with audience routine.

RoyalTea 01-21-10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9955082)

Dave taking shots at Leno/NBC are funny.
Conan taking shots at Leno/NBC are hilarious.

But Leno taking shots at Conan/Dave/NBC are fucking pathetic.

Luds 01-21-10 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9955262)
Dave taking shots at Leno/NBC are funny.
Conan taking shots at Leno/NBC are hilarious.

But Leno taking shots at Conan/Dave/NBC are fucking pathetic.

This is BS.

It's all been pathetic, especially Letterman. Christ, this idiot let build all this frustration for over 20 years and is now letting it out. That's pathetic.

Conan taking shots at Leno is pretty dumb too. It's too bad for him he couldn't get good ratings but Leno will. So NBC obviously made the right choice.

WallyOPD 01-21-10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9955123)
No. You know exactly what I meant.

Actually I don't. Leno and NBC are clearly the bad guys in this situation, but I'm seeing a lot of people go out of their way to demonize anything Leno does while rationalizing anything Conan/Letterman/anyone else does.