Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cablevision drops Food Network and HGTV as of 1/1/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Cablevision drops Food Network and HGTV as of 1/1/10

Yup, I had all three. Wanted to downgrade to just internet.
Old 01-21-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And both are back now.
Old 01-21-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad this doesn't affect me, I love the Food Network.
Old 01-22-10, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the pissing contest is over. I actually have not missed FN even though it was gone for 3 weeks like that. I don't even know if I'll start watching it again.
Old 02-05-10, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Even if you don't watch the channels (or even if you do), call and complain/threaten to cancel service and extract some type of deals/credits out of them.
Funny how misinformed the people of Long Island are about Cablevision. When Cablevision came to Long Island there were 30 channels today there are over 350. Networks charge Cablevision a fee to broadcast their Channels such as Food Net work and HGTV. ESPN charges over $4.00 per house hold. So as new channels are added the cost would go up but customers never say wow look at all the wonderful new channels I get to watch....rather how come my bill goes up each year. Cablevision employs thousands of people here on Long Island but you would rather support the economy in some other state. Cablevision gives free cable to your children's schools, fire houses and hospitals but you would rather support the phone company you once complained was a monopoly how quickly we forget.
Cablevision supports Cancer research here on Long Island through the Lusgarten Foundation what is the phone company supporting? Cablevision customer service is open 24/7 the phone company is 8:30 to 6 pm Monday to Friday. Cablevisions bills are plain easy to read with no hidden fees or taxes we all know you need a master degree to dissect a phone bill. You should be ashamed at yourself for demonizing a company that gives so much back to your community. If the phone company was so wonderful why would they need to lock you into a contract for two years especially when the price is only guaranteed to you for one. There has never been a contract to be a cablevision customer. And yes next time its snowing or a something important is happening on Long Island tune to channel 2,4, or 7 they can tell you all about it...I'll be watching News 12 for the real news that's important to me a long Islander....
Old 02-06-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-06-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I guess they even give people money to post on the 'net how great they are.
Old 03-02-10, 11:05 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100302/...ey_cablevision

Disney: ABC may go dark on Cablevision in New York
AP

By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer Ryan Nakashima, Ap Business Writer – Tue Mar 2, 7:13 am ET

LOS ANGELES – The Walt Disney Co. on Monday began warning Cablevision subscribers in New York that the local ABC television station signal may go dark this weekend in a dispute over how much it is paid by the cable operator.

If the fee fight isn't resolved, the station could go dark after midnight Saturday, meaning Cablevision's 3.1 million customers could lose the ability to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday on ABC.

The signal, however, can still be pulled from the air for free with an antenna and a new TV or digital converter box.

Disney is seeking an additional $40 million a year in new fees, Cablevision Systems Corp. spokesman Charles Schueler said in a statement. Cablevision pays more than $200 million a year to Disney.

"It is not fair for ABC Disney to hold Cablevision customers hostage by forcing them to pay what amounts to a new TV tax," Schueler said.

Disney said Cablevision charges customers $18 per month for basic broadcast signals, but does not pass on any payment for ABC to Disney.

The dispute involving WABC-TV is similar to the standoff at the end of last year between News Corp. and Time Warner Cable over how much Fox television station signals were worth. That tussle, which threatened the college football bowl season and new episodes of "The Simpsons," was resolved without a signal interruption.

Disney said it began alerting Cablevision watchers of the impasse in on-air spot advertisements Monday night.

It plans on taking out ads in local newspapers, radio stations and online to inform viewers of the situation, and set up a Web site, http://www.saveabc7.com, to plead its case. Cablevision, meanwhile, has also set up a Web site http://cablevision.com/abc/ and a page on Facebook.

The company's previous contract with Cablevision expired more than two years ago, but the companies extended it month by month as talks continued.

Under previous arrangements, Disney was paid for cable channels such as ESPN and Disney Channel, but gave its ABC broadcast signal away for free, a situation that most broadcasters are now trying to change.

"We can no longer sit back and allow Cablevision to use our shows for free while they continue to charge their customers for them," said Rebecca Campbell, the president and general manager of WABC-TV in a statement.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger foreshadowed recently that a fight was coming after News Corp. succeeded in its campaign to be paid in cash for its stations' broadcast signals.

WABC-TV is the most watched TV station in the country, said Disney, which is based in Burbank.

"It's time to recognize the value that they provide to distributors, and their importance to local communities," Iger said on a conference call with analysts last month.
Chris
Old 03-02-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfer348
Funny how misinformed the people of Long Island are about Cablevision. ......And yes next time its snowing or a something important is happening on Long Island tune to channel 2,4, or 7 they can tell you all about it...I'll be watching News 12 for the real news that's important to me a long Islander....
Since you seem to work for them : why do I still receive the "Channel currently not available please try again later" on some of my HBO channels / channels in the 800s? Trying to save bandwidth? and if too many people want to watch the same channel - tough - wait until a spot opens up!

What pro-Cablevision spin do you want to put on this?
Old 03-02-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Cablevision keeps adding channels I don't want, how do I pay for just what I want?
Old 03-02-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Cablevision keeps adding channels I don't want, how do I pay for just what I want?

itunes
Old 03-02-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Golfer348
And yes next time its snowing or a something important is happening on Long Island tune to channel 2,4, or 7 they can tell you all about it...I'll be watching News 12 for the real news that's important to me a long Islander....
Important things happen on Long Island? Since when?
Old 03-02-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

at that P.R. piece. Never know what kind of response you can trigger with a post here.
Old 03-02-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
and if too many people want to watch the same channel - tough - wait until a spot opens up!
If they're using switched video (and I'm pretty sure Cablevision does), I believe it's the opposite problem -- too many people on your node are watching other channels, and they can't make the one you want to watch available in the meantime.
Old 03-03-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If they're using switched video (and I'm pretty sure Cablevision does), I believe it's the opposite problem -- too many people on your node are watching other channels, and they can't make the one you want to watch available in the meantime.
Thanks for clearing this up for me... How can they get away with this? I called the FCC and they say to call New York State ___ Authority... they tell me to call the FCC..

Ahhh.. it's good to be a monopoly!
Old 03-03-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Important things happen on Long Island? Since when?

Strange that most people with kids choose to live in the burbs and not one of the trendy NYC neighborhoods
Old 03-06-10, 11:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And ABC is gone.
With a rather nice parting message too:
cablevision has betrayed you again. now you've lost abc
Old 03-06-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geddlo
And ABC is gone.
With a rather nice parting message too:
cablevision has betrayed you again. now you've lost abc
Not only is ABC gone, I'm also not getting anything for CBS, NBC, and Fox.
Old 03-06-10, 11:10 PM

WTF?
Me neither!
Old 03-06-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geddlo
WTF?
Me neither!
I'm beginning to think all the networks pulled their signals as a big "Fuck You" to Cablevision.

Edit: Looks like all the major networks are working again except for ABC.

Last edited by Obey The D; 03-06-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 11:17 PM

Those 3 channels are back here now.
Edit: that was odd

Last edited by Geddlo; 03-06-10 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Strange that most people with kids choose to live in the burbs and not one of the trendy NYC neighborhoods
Kids are important?
Old 03-07-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So who is at fault here? Is this yet another James Dolan fuck up, or is ABC asking for too much? Surely they must know with the Oscars tomorrow that this will have an effect on ratings.
Old 03-07-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
So who is at fault here? Is this yet another James Dolan fuck up, or is ABC asking for too much? Surely they must know with the Oscars tomorrow that this will have an effect on ratings.
Why do I have this feeling that Dolan may be insane enough to seriously consider pulling the channels from Discovery Networks, A&E Network or even the ESPN network? If he tries to do that the New York state government may just step in and attempt a takeover of Cablevision.

If Cablevision doesn't put back WABC, the effect on the Oscar telecast ratings could be somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5 Nielsen points--a negative change that could affect how much advertising revenue ABC gets from this specific telecast.

Last edited by RayChuang; 03-07-10 at 07:45 AM. Reason: add wording
Old 03-07-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Can the Oscar's be viewed on the internet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.