TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO renews Entourage, True Blood and Hung

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts
Re: HBO renews Entourage, True Blood and Hung

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Ari had his character arc when he started his own agency in season 2.
Johnny Drama has changed from being an unemployed actor to being on a hit TV show.
Eric has now branced out and has his own little company with more than one client.
Turtle is now looking at what he really wants to do with his life.
Lloyd is really pushing to finally become an agent!
As Red Dog pointed out personalities don't change that much once you're an adult except in extreme circumstances. Also I think people neglect the fact that a whole season of Entourage is usually only a few weeks "show" time which doesn't allow for much change in character, which leads to the big changes between seasons.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think this forum is very hard on Entourage for reasons I've never been able to comprehend.
Yes.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It took me awhile to realize Vincent Chase was the most boring and uninteresting character on the show, but you realize he's less of a character and more of a setpiece, the show improves dramatically.
I wouldn't say it's common, but it's certainly not unusual for the main character to be the least interesting dating back as far as Mickey Mouse. More recent examples would be Seinfeld or Ted in HIMYM.

One thing I can agree on is that things do always seem to turn out alright for the gang even when things are looking down. I just finished season 5 and they went from Smokejumpers being canned to Scorsese wanting Vince in his movie based on the defunct footage? Footage, I remind you, of a character who's lines and scenes were mostly cut by the director? Come on.
Old 07-31-09, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still enjoy all three shows tremendously even though I dont know If i would call any of them "great artistic TV" like i would Sopranos, Six feet Under and Deadwood.
Still, i plan on watching all the shows throughout their entire run and buying all the DVD's they release of them.
Old 07-31-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"True Blood" is a favorite of mine. I've been reading those books since High School.

"Entourage" I've only recently gotten into but I'm in season 3 and Loving the show... Although doesn't this make 'Entourage' HBO's longest running series if its going into a seventh year?

"Hung" I couldn't last out past the second episode - very surprised this will be coming back...
Old 08-01-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the other thing to factor in with Entourage is that since it is only ~25min, it's difficult to get a lot of growth and a huge # of plot arcs in a 12episode season. (or 1/2 season?)

This season they do seem a little more focused on the growth aspect. There seems to be a lot less Ari which takes away a lot of the humor for me. I find the personal interaction to be the focus of the show and really don't care how accurate the Hollywood plot lines are or how accurate the career development of Vince is.

Good to see it renewed.
Old 08-03-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never seen True Blood.

Love Entourage. Some people say it's not as good as it used to be but I disagree. It's not as fresh because it's been around for a while, but I still find it as compelling and entertaining.

I really like Hung. Don't understand how people are bored with it. I'm finding it one of the more interesting satires on male-female relations.