HBO renews Entourage, True Blood and Hung

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-30-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

HBO performed a hat trick Thursday afternoon, picking up all three series currently on the air - "True Blood," "Entourage" and frosh skein "Hung" - for another year.
"The size of these shows have broken into the popular culture in a way we haven't seen in a while," said HBO co-president Richard Plepler.

Plepler and HBO West Coast Operations/programming group prexy Michael Lombardo announced the orders at the start of the pay cabler's portion of the TV Critics Assn. press tour.

"Credit to the creative teams who make that possible," Plepler said.

"True Blood" has turned into a bona fide hit for HBO in its second season, averaging 3.8 million viewers after six episodes. Newbie "Hung" has benefited from its Sunday night slot, averaging 3.1 million viewers after four segs.
Old 07-30-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: HBO renews Entourage, True Blood and Hung

I think Hung would be in trouble if it wasn't sandwiched between those other 2. I find it extremely boring so far, which given the subject matter, is a surprise.
Old 07-30-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

^ That's because there's a lot of whining and no sex/nudity
Old 07-30-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 3 or 4 episodes into the first season of True Blood, trying to catch up. Does it get better tho? I'm sort of iffy on finishing it at this point.

I agree about Hung. Outside of my initial curiosity, there's not a whole lot that's keeping my interest. About the only thing I'm looking forward to at this point is seeing Ray grudge fuck his neighbor's wife.
Old 07-30-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by belboz
About the only thing I'm looking forward to at this point is seeing Ray grudge fuck his neighbor's wife.
Yep. He already hit the old fatty which was the only other issue I wondered how they'd deal with - that was ho hum too.

HBO should be kicking itself for not picking up Secret Diary of a Call Girl as Showtime did. Now that's a great show about prostitution.
Old 07-30-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A new season of Hung? I never expected to see it extended.
Old 07-30-09, 08:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm glad they gave Hung one more season. While slow, I like the chemistry between the main characters. But I am hoping it'll pick up. Overall, at least it's way better than John From Cincinnati. I was glad that show only had one season.
Old 07-30-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

for True Blood.

still on the fence about Hung
Old 07-30-09, 09:34 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I'm 3 or 4 episodes into the first season of True Blood, trying to catch up. Does it get better tho? I'm sort of iffy on finishing it at this point.
Yes, it gets better. Everyone was iffy on the first couple episodes. By the end of the season, everyone still watching loved the show.
Old 07-30-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

HBO performed a hat trick Thursday afternoon, picking up all three series currently on the air - "True Blood," "Entourage" and frosh skein "Hung" - for another year.

"True Blood" has turned into a bona fide hit for HBO in its second season, averaging 3.8 million viewers after six episodes. Newbie "Hung" has benefited from its Sunday night slot, averaging 3.1 million viewers after four segs.
God damn do I hate Variety articles.
Old 07-30-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Yeah not everyone in the United States speaks Hollywood.
Old 07-30-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least they didn't refer to Entourage as a "Tinseltown laffer".
Old 07-30-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm stoked. I love them all.
Old 07-31-09, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that's saving Hung for us is that it's only a half hour show. It's slow moving but we can watch it and not invest much time in it.
Old 07-31-09, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

It does indeed get better. It never gets great but the last 3-4 episodes were very good. Unfortunately this seasons it's back to being slow and boring
Old 07-31-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm always down for more of Vince and the gang.
Old 07-31-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm always down for more of Vince and the gang.
YAWN! My TiVo somehow lost the first few episodes of this season, and I find myself not caring. I'm bored with their exploits. They always seem to be falling into predicaments that get "fixed" overnight without any consequence. The characters don't grow at all. I dare say that I am done. And I NEVER say that once I'm into a show this many seasons.
Old 07-31-09, 09:36 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
YAWN! My TiVo somehow lost the first few episodes of this season, and I find myself not caring. I'm bored with their exploits. They always seem to be falling into predicaments that get "fixed" overnight without any consequence. The characters don't grow at all. I dare say that I am done. And I NEVER say that once I'm into a show this many seasons.
I always love the "these characters never grow" argument.

Ari had his character arc when he started his own agency in season 2.
Johnny Drama has changed from being an unemployed actor to being on a hit TV show.
Eric has now branced out and has his own little company with more than one client.
Turtle is now looking at what he really wants to do with his life.
Lloyd is really pushing to finally become an agent!

How is this not growing? Granted their personalities have stayed pretty much the same, but I wouldn't want to watch if they all of a sudden acted completely different.
Old 07-31-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I always love the "these characters never grow" argument.

Ari had his character arc when he started his own agency in season 2.
Johnny Drama has changed from being an unemployed actor to being on a hit TV show.
Eric has now branced out and has his own little company with more than one client.
Turtle is now looking at what he really wants to do with his life.
Lloyd is really pushing to finally become an agent!

How is this not growing? Granted their personalities have stayed pretty much the same, but I wouldn't want to watch if they all of a sudden acted completely different.

I think this forum is very hard on Entourage for reasons I've never been able to comprehend. As for this season, I don't think it's been as funny because there hasn't been enough Ari. It has nothing to do with the 4-some.

I don't know what kind of growth people (men) expect to see: do they want to see them get into serious relationships (as most do their age) and settle down. No thank you. Can you say boring?
Old 07-31-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matto1020
But you see, their personalities are completely stagnant and that is not "growth".

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't know what kind of growth people (men) expect to see: do they want to see them get into serious relationships (as most do their age) and settle down. No thank you. Can you say boring?
Something. While you both have jumped on the growth thing, no one has yet to explain the risks, failures and dealing with consequences that they never seem to really have to endure. Everything is too easily fixed in every situation. They all essentially have charmed lives. Even the "Medellin" debacle ends up with them coming out on top. They're all just too smug or something.

Anyway, haven't gotten into Hung yet, but I'm certainly excited about True Blood!
Old 07-31-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
But you see, their personalities are completely stagnant and that is not "growth".
I don't think personalities change all that much once you hit your late 20s. Your personal circumstances might, but not personality.
Old 07-31-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ari is also evolving into more of a mentor for the group (his heart to heart with Turtle and advice for E on handling the studio executive) and is showing affection and respect for them which definetely shows an evolution of his character. I like the way this season is evolving.

Great to hear about TRUE BLOOD and like everybody else (it seems) I'm still on the fence about HUNG.
Old 07-31-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife and I are really having a hard time getting into this season of True Blood. Between the atrocious writing, acting, and ridiculous dance parties this season, I have a hard time finding one nice thing to say so far. The only thing that keeps me tuned in, frankly, is the red-head.

Let's hope season three brings back the quality of the season one episodes.
Old 07-31-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lopper
My wife and I are really having a hard time getting into this season of True Blood. Between the atrocious writing, acting, and ridiculous dance parties this season, I have a hard time finding one nice thing to say so far. The only thing that keeps me tuned in, frankly, is the red-head.

Let's hope season three brings back the quality of the season one episodes.
Well, I heard a radio interview with Charlaine Harris who wrote the original Sookie Stackhouse novels back when the show was picked up for this season. She said that she expected the show to sharply veer away from the books this season as the characters were naturally evolving in different ways then she had originally written them (that and some main characters should have been dead by now). So maybe that is affecting the writing compared to S1?
Old 07-31-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Enjoying TRU BLOOD this season. This is a show that started a bit slow and weak in its first season and gradually became more compelling. This season is a marked improvement, although the show does tend to spin its wheels a bit.

HUNG is OK. I'm curious to see where it's oing.

ENTOURAGE has had a mediocre start, but I've been with the show too long to give up on it. I like the characters and the actors enough but the storylines need to progress a bit. And it took me awhile to realize Vincent Chase was the most boring and uninteresting character on the show, but you realize he's less of a character and more of a setpiece, the show improves dramatically.

CATHOUSE?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.