TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 5/19/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Glee -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 5/19/09

Originally Posted by HotThang
It's free on Amazon, too. I just dloaded it to my Tivo!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The pilot is currently free on itunes. The video of the the two numbers are $.99 each.
Thanks for this, too! This way I can keep it forevermore. :P
Old 05-20-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I enjoyed the show and the music. However, I'm the only one who thought the quarterback's voice wasn't that great? I'm not a music aficionado, but it just sounded weak to me.
Old 05-20-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

What a nice surprise - this was really good.
Old 05-20-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I enjoyed the show and the music. However, I'm the only one who thought the quarterback's voice wasn't that great? I'm not a music aficionado, but it just sounded weak to me.
I thought that a little, but hey, it's a freaking quarterback.
Old 05-21-09, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A great setup for a series I just hope people watch it. I think it will be as much about the caste system at school as it is about the music.
Old 05-21-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked how it also explored the lives of the teachers, it kind of reminded me of the movie Election and the short-lived series Miss-Guided.
Old 05-21-09, 01:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I loved the pilot. I just hate that we have to wait a whole summer. It's an interesting idea to show the pilot months ahead. It just might work, who knows.
Old 05-21-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
and the hot girl was in Spring Awakening. (And you got to see her boobies )
pics?

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Show needs more Journey
Seriously, it was like the band sponsored this pilot or somethng.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 05-21-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was ok with it though it was funny and fit what they were going for but don't keep playing it throughout the season . The quarterback's voice was a little weak but still pretty good and somewhat realistic because these are supposed to be high school students that are just starting to learn so it fits. Also we couldn't get past the fact that he was a Chris Klein clone playing his American Pie role, but still good show.
Old 05-21-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
TRASH

don't know why FOX bought this shit, this IS an ABC Familyesq show

i can only watch stuff that is actually funny or have intense action
What are you talking about? Does ABC Family have shows where the gay choir teacher gets fired by getting caught groping a student then starts selling drugs?

Originally Posted by Flave
I went in thinking this was going to be really good or really bad. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really funny and had lots of good moments. Hope the series maintains the same quality as the pilot.
+1

Finn:I have a girlfriend.
Rachel: Who?
Finn: Quinn
Rachel: Quinn?! The president of the celibacy club?!

Terri (the wife) is going to wear on me as the naggy shrew similar to what she was on Nip/Tuck. Mayo is going to make her diabetes come back? WTF. Schuster is a putz for staying with her. I'm guessing they're going to proceed with a messy relationship for them. Why did she announce she was pregnant while holding two glasses of champagne?

I'll certainly be back for an encore next fall.

Last edited by rfduncan; 05-21-09 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 01:49 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The cast recording of Don't Stop Believin' is #1 on iTunes.
Old 05-21-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just watched the free HD download from iTunes. I thought it was excellent and very funny, so I think I'll be adding it to my TiVo season pass when the series starts up again in the fall. The lead female reminded me a lot of Tracy Flick... I hope she can get over herself though or she's going to be a very annoying character.

The redheaded teacher = I'd love to see the guy end up with her... she's the type of person I'd like to meet! His wife must drive him nuts! I am wondering if she was lying about being pregnant just so he'd quit his teaching job for an accounting position.

I finally remembered where the cheerleading coach is from... I loved her character in "Role Models"... it seems like she's doing the same thing in this show too.
Old 05-21-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really really liked it....I think I'm going to keep it on the DVR until the fall so I can watch it again in case they don't replay it.

I also got the Election vibe from it....thought it was very well done. I like that background glee singing during scene transitions and in the background. I've got it season passed for the fall.
Old 05-22-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the guy's wife being pregnant...

Spoiler:
The preview shows her at a doctor's office, and he informs her that it is a hysterical (false) pregnancy. Not sure if she was lying or if she genuinely believed she was pregnant, but I suspect we will find out.
Old 05-22-09, 05:42 AM
Banned

Finally got around to watching this and was very surprised. I thought it was a very entertaining show.

The Don't Stop Believin' number was brilliant (although I'll always think of the finale of The Sopranos when I hear it).

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I liked how it also explored the lives of the teachers, it kind of reminded me of the movie Election and the short-lived series Miss-Guided.
Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1
I also got the Election vibe from it....thought it was very well done.
Odd that this thread got to page three until this was mentioned. The film 'Election' being one of my all-time favorite films, it was the first thing I thought of.
Old 05-22-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
TRASH

don't know why FOX bought this shit, this IS an ABC Familyesq show

i can only watch stuff that is actually funny or have intense action
Their biggest show is American Idol, why do you think they bought it?
Old 05-22-09, 09:43 AM

Finally got around to watching this-- I LOVED IT!!

As others have said it needs a little tweaking but for a 1st episode it hit enough things right (including the last musical number) that I'm definitely setting my DVR to record it in the fall.

One question: In what universe is there a high school where a chick, as hot as the lead glee singer, would be a complete outcast?
Old 05-22-09, 10:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it, but as I feared it is a bit too campy at times. I loved the more dramatic parts and I enjoyed the 'in-story' and character-based comedy, but I have a problem when the show tries to force the quirkiness in unnatural or unrealistic ways.

For me, a lot of elements and characters were exaggerated for comedy effect to a point where I felt it took away from the show's impact. It's harder for me to relate to the story if half the characters are sitcom-style caricatures. For example, the show's bizarrely exaggerated take on high school popularity just felt cliched to me. I can see how these kids wouldn't be popular or even liked, but for them to be that relentlessly loathed?

I'm not expecting them to make this into an ultra-serious show like Friday Night Lights or anything, and I appreciate that the show has its own feel. I love the scenes between the lead and the counselor, and the last ten minutes was pretty great. I'd love more of that type of thing and less of the one-note awful wife and the "mean-but-in-a-fun way" football buddy.
Old 05-22-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

You have never been to a high school where certain students were singled out and basically tortured? Believe me, that stuff exists. I rode the bus to private school, and some of the older students would terrorize some younger classmen. Wedgies, wrestling, and all that stuff. If you couldn't roll with it and have fun with, you were in for a rough life. One kid even just was crying to himself from all the insults and crap. I'm telling you when people remember high school as this wonderful experience, I don't even know what to say to them.

When people act in real life like they do in high school, it ends up on Jerry Springer. Teenagers are savages.
Old 05-22-09, 12:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You have never been to a high school where certain students were singled out and basically tortured? Believe me, that stuff exists. I rode the bus to private school, and some of the older students would terrorize some younger classmen. Wedgies, wrestling, and all that stuff. If you couldn't roll with it and have fun with, you were in for a rough life. One kid even just was crying to himself from all the insults and crap. I'm telling you when people remember high school as this wonderful experience, I don't even know what to say to them.

When people act in real life like they do in high school, it ends up on Jerry Springer. Teenagers are savages.
Oh, there were kids teased, bullied, etc. Hell, I had my share of bullies growing up. But as it was presented in the show it didn't work for me. The whole idea that the glee club was some instant social death sentence just is weird. IMO a group of goofy but for the most part average kids like that would generally get ignored or at worst, snickered at. The real torment would go to the true outcasts... the loners that had poor hygiene, few if any friends, and a general ignorance of social skills.
Old 05-22-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's different everywhere you go but at my high school there were whole groups picked on just because they were in the group. I think it just has to do with traditions that develop over years at a certain school. But I think since most of us only went to one or two schools it is hard to judge how other schools were we just assume they are all the same. I now know that my school had much more violence then some other schools in my city, but at the time I thought that is was natural.
Old 05-22-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I went to a very large high school that had the best music program in the state, so being in choir made people just as popular as being on the football team, as far as the number of people that liked them goes.

That said, I could see a small high school in a small town where football is the only "cool" activity being this way. It's exaggerated for comedic effect, but I think there are plenty of grains of truth to it.
Old 05-22-09, 10:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That main chick is way too hot to be unpopular.
Old 05-22-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the iTunes tip, I just watched this one. Good pilot, and hopefully will provide more humorous interaction between the teachers in upcoming episodes. Couldn't remember where I had seen the redheaded teacher before--looked it up and she was actually Charlie on the first season of "Heroes". As long as they don't overdo the singing routines (though they need at least one per episode) I think it'll work well.

As to the way the "castes" treat each other in high school, I've personally always found that to be way exaggerated on television and in the movies. I was in band and took AP classes, but also played soccer and had friends on the football, basketball, and baseball teams, some of whom were in my advanced classes. The notion that jocks are all meatheads who exist only to torture the smart kids is outdated, if it ever even existed in the first place. Only the very, very nerdiest kids stuck out, and even then they stuck together and mostly got by without too much trouble. The only show I've ever seen that got the dynamic somewhere close to correct was "Freaks and Geeks".

Also a very minor gripe but it looks like this is another show that'll bug me by having an Indian actor playing a character with a whitebread name.
Old 05-22-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
That main chick is way too hot to be unpopular.
Ryan Murphy seems to excel at that. He had Carly Pope playing the "outcast" chick on "Popular".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.