Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/10/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/10/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/1

For the pig challenge I think I would have tried harder to get them to carry on their shoulders. Even though they were small, it would be easier than just using arm strength. Maybe stick one end in the sand, then help them get the other side of the pole on their shoulder and then go back and pick up my end.

You could also offset the load by moving the pig down the pole some close to your end and then just have them hold the other end for balance.
Old 05-11-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/1

Originally Posted by Jeeden
For the pig challenge I think I would have tried harder to get them to carry on their shoulders. Even though they were small, it would be easier than just using arm strength. Maybe stick one end in the sand, then help them get the other side of the pole on their shoulder and then go back and pick up my end.

Yep. I was wondering Tammy didn't squat down and then Victor could have helped her put it on her shoulder. Then he could have gone to the front and should have been able to do the same by himself. Then stand up together.
Old 05-11-09, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump
I was pretty peeved heading into the finale over the huge boost T&V got from spending an inordinate amount of the race time on their home turf (China) but once again everyone was forced to bunch up on a single flight to Maui so no one got a big jump at the end.
They're Chinese AMERICANS. How is China their home turf? They didn't grow up there. I'm glad they won because they were the most decent throughout and they did learn to work together better. Overall, I think Margie was the best contestant though. Too bad she had Luke holding her back.
Old 05-11-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't understand when Jaime and Cara's cabbie got lost and he called his office to get directions and then lady gave a huge attitude and refused to help with directions. WTF was that about?
I think that Jaime probably got a good edit in that scene. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if her sunny disposition had steam coming out of the dispatcher's ears.

I think the right team won; they were the best competitors and simply outplayed everyone else. And I'm glad that their unfair advantage in China was not a factor in their winning.

Anyone know if there's going to be a summer version of AR?
Old 05-11-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by the_dude8
because the pig was too heavy for tammy and caira to put them on their shoulders.
I don't believe that. The strong redhead and Victor could have helped their other teammate and then lifted it on their own shoulder.
Old 05-11-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by megashopper
They're Chinese AMERICANS. How is China their home turf? They didn't grow up there.
When you speak the language fluently (and one that most other racers are unlikely to know unlike, say, Spanish) and have traveled to the exact same city (Guilin) very recently I would say that that's a pretty overwhelming advantage.
Old 05-11-09, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I'll be rooting for Jaime and Cara. Though Victor and Tammy are most deserving.

How are they most deserving? Please explain!
Old 05-11-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dta316
How are they most deserving? Please explain!
Tammy & Victor stage finishes: 2,1,8,3,2,1,1,3,2,1,1

Jaime and Cara stage finishes: 7,6,7,5,3,5,2,2,4,3,2
Old 05-11-09, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flave
Anyone know if there's going to be a summer version of AR?
No, the show is too popular now.

Seriously, Season 4 & 5 they put it on during the summer because the show was near death. What saved it was CBS's patience, the show getting great reviews, it started winning Emmy's and the loyal few (us) who stuck with it and watched every episode.

And to think when it premiered I wasn't planning on watching it and I had higher hopes for NBC's Lost, remember that one?

Chris
Old 05-11-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Unfortunately it looks like there will only be a Fall edition next season. CBS would have to green light 2 editions at the same time for them to make air on time. Fall edition would be shot in the summer and Spring edition would be shot in the winter.
Old 05-11-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If your contention is that Victor and Tammy dominated this season, then I'd have to disagree...and I'd wonder what the point of the finale would even be.

Should a team that dominates all year just get the million dollars even if they finish 3rd in the final leg?

There wasn't any fluke in this finale and any of the 3 teams would have been deserving. When Rob and Amber lost, now that was a damned shame because I didn't think it was fair. This finale played out well, if not spectacular, and no one got hosed.

Margie was dominant and despite Luke's being annoying and kind of weak, they certainly would have been deserving HAD they won.

The girls wouldn't have been bad either and had their bad taxi karma not followed them to Maui, they just might have won.
I don't think there was a single dominant team this year, but I do think over the course of the show Tammy/Victor and Margie/Luke emerged as the two strongest contenders. Jaime and Cara were more like underdogs (but not vastly inferior).

No, a dominant team should not win the money just because they dominated all year. I just don't like seeing a dominant team lose to a vastly inferior team in the final leg, but to be fair, we haven't really had a dominant team in a while on the race. For instance, if Team Alabama (I forget their real names) had won their season that would have been pretty disappointing because like Flo they just didn't deserve to win.

A lot of the problem I have with this is the bunching. I know they have to bunch, but when a team falls more than 24 hours behind but still wins the show like in the "some"-star season I have a real problem with that.

Tonight's finale was mostly fair, but it there was an advantage to be gained by the most physically strong team. Who knew that would be Margie though? I do think it helps that they've stopped casting young guy teams for the most part.
Old 05-11-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

And to think when it premiered I wasn't planning on watching it and I had higher hopes for NBC's Lost, remember that one?
Yes. Great premise, but not very competitive and impossible to make interesting over the course of several episodes. I'd love it if The Amazing Race could do one leg where they drop everybody off in some mystery location and all they have to do is make their way to the pitstop.
Old 05-11-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/05/11...on-prize/?cp=5

A lot of people felt it was an unfair advantage that you spent three legs in a country where you speak the language. Do you agree or disagree?
Victor: There is no question that speaking Chinese to waiters was completely within our nerdy abilities. The route is set in advance and they have no idea who will make it to what leg. But it balances out because there are so many different tasks and everyone has different strengths.

What is the first thing you will buy or do with the million?
Tammy: I took my entire law school education out in loans so I will be paying that back. It would have taken me 10 years of working to pay those back so it will be nice to not be saddled with such an enormous debt. I have been coveting a pair of black peeptoe Christian Louboutins.
Victor: I’ve decided to bail out Citibank. Just kidding but I did email my banker today to say that I could pay down my line of credit and take care of debt.
Old 05-12-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I wasn't a fan of V&T all season... he is the most obnoxious person on the planet.. but then I realized that out of the last 3-4 teams, they were the only ones who didn't degrade, make fun of or say racist things about anyone.
So ... for that.. I'm glad they won.

Same here - I'm amazed at some of the insensitive, rude and outright racist behavior of some of these contestants. They don't seem to realize that they're the foreigners in these countries! Tammy and Victor were refreshingly self-deprecating about their own ethnic identity that made me fans early on (even when Victor was kind of a tool to his sister). Overall, they were a classy duo.
Old 05-12-09, 11:17 PM

I think that the only team in the final three who probably really could have used the money would be Margie and Luke. The cheerleaders can ride the wave and pose in various states of undress to pad their bank accounts. And the winners are in a high-dollar earning profession. Perish the thought that Tammy might have had to work ten years to pay off her HARVARD education. I certainly found them to be the most likeable team in the finals, but the money is certainly not going to be a life-changer for either of them.
Old 05-13-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
No, the show is too popular now.

Seriously, Season 4 & 5 they put it on during the summer because the show was near death. What saved it was CBS's patience, the show getting great reviews, it started winning Emmy's and the loyal few (us) who stuck with it and watched every episode.

Chris
it has won every reality competition programming emmy since the category was created in 2003. Asshat Jeff Probst is still steamed that his inferior Survivor hasn't won it and complains about it in his blog.