Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/10/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/10/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/1

Originally Posted by TwineTime
When exactly?
It seems like it was many seasons ago is when they had 2 hour season finales. I tried to find out when they started doing it and when they ended it but the best I could come up with was a couple of examples when they did: Season 5 & 8
Old 05-10-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Amazing Race-- Season Finale-- "This is how you lose a Million Dollars"-- 5/1

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Thought this was going to be a walk on the beach for the sinister deaf kid, so this was unexpected...a nice come from behind win for Tammy/Victor!!!
It felt VERY much like a coronation for the producers' mandated "heroes" of the season up until Luke got his first X. I could barely stand watching it up until that point, but I'm very glad I stuck it out.
Old 05-11-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they aren't going to do 2 hours-this felt too short to me as well-at least they could have had the final destination be a difficult or potentially difficult place to find.

The race ended in a place that didn't give any real hope to someone coming from behind after the puzzle, so Victor and Tammy won the second they got in their cab.

The odds of two or even three teams leaving the puzzle at about the same time is kind of unlikely and it was probably edited to make it look like the girls were really close, when it probably wasn't as close as it even seemed.

I liked all of the final teams because Margie made up for Luke (she might have been the single best competitor in the final 3) and the girls weren't that bad. Some drama is fun with the teams. I liked V & T, but they kind of bored me too. And talk about coronation, they were the team to beat and they won.

I kind of like when a longshot wins.
Old 05-11-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad Victor and Tammy won, it would suck for them to get disowned by their parents and all of China.
Old 05-11-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I kind of like when a longshot wins.
I have to disagree. Especially if the long shot wins by some sort of fluky thing, like how Uchenna and Joyce won season 7 or Chip and Kim in season 5 (and I loved Chip and Kim).

There have been too many teams that just didn't deserve the title get it. And I'll never get over Flo "winning" season 3 instead of Ken/Gerard (who were consistently the best team all year). In some ways, Flo "winning" invalidated the show forever.
Old 05-11-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I have to disagree. Especially if the long shot wins by some sort of fluky thing, like how Uchenna and Joyce won season 7 or Chip and Kim in season 5 (and I loved Chip and Kim).

There have been too many teams that just didn't deserve the title get it. And I'll never get over Flo "winning" season 3 instead of Ken/Gerard (who were consistently the best team all year). In some ways, Flo "winning" invalidated the show forever.

If your contention is that Victor and Tammy dominated this season, then I'd have to disagree...and I'd wonder what the point of the finale would even be.

Should a team that dominates all year just get the million dollars even if they finish 3rd in the final leg?

There wasn't any fluke in this finale and any of the 3 teams would have been deserving. When Rob and Amber lost, now that was a damned shame because I didn't think it was fair. This finale played out well, if not spectacular, and no one got hosed.

Margie was dominant and despite Luke's being annoying and kind of weak, they certainly would have been deserving HAD they won.

The girls wouldn't have been bad either and had their bad taxi karma not followed them to Maui, they just might have won.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-11-09 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 04:14 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Congrats to Victor and Tammy, I'm glad they won. Yes Tammy did look hot and the pig challenge was great.
Old 05-11-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

"Finally."

Great final challenge.
Old 05-11-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I was so bummed when it looked like Luke was going to finish that challenge well ahead of everyone else. Then he starts to get frustrated and Victor starts knocking them out, and I knew he was done for.
Old 05-11-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was rooting for Margie, and margie alone.. Luke would have been collateral damage with that win. She was fantastic.

Overall another good season.
Old 05-11-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone post a screencap of Jaime, it's right when they go to commercial break in the middle of the pig challenge, and it's just a solo shot of Jaime with hands on hips and a sigh of resignation.
Old 05-11-09, 09:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't quite understand what Luke was doing with those last two surfboards. It seemed like he kept reusing the same wrong ones over and over again, which surprised me because he was so on point with the first ten. Like the skull with the sunglasses, what was that?
Old 05-11-09, 09:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Luke had the last 2 wrong, and he thought he only had the last one wrong..
Old 05-11-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on the CBS site and just found out that Jaime was a Former Police Officer. I had no idea. She's only 29, and she's not a cop anymore? Maybe a rogue taxi driver got her kicked off the force, and now she is out to terrorize them....one cabbie at a time.
Old 05-11-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish her future husband all the best.. he will need it!
Old 05-11-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I was pretty peeved heading into the finale over the huge boost T&V got from spending an inordinate amount of the race time on their home turf (China) but once again everyone was forced to bunch up on a single flight to Maui so no one got a big jump at the end.

I was waiting for Luke to slug the cute chick when she finally handed him the clue at the surfboard wall. She probably said "No" to him upwards of fifty or so times before he finally got the thing right and he was mighty pissed.

But all in all it was another fun and forgettable season of the Amazing Race.
Old 05-11-09, 10:31 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoyed the season, Tammy and Victor were strong throughout the race, so they were certainly one of the early favourites.

Glad Luke came 3rd. Margie was a rockstar..
Old 05-11-09, 10:31 AM

Tammy and Victor definitely deserved to win.

I'm surprised the cheerleaders couldn't carry the pig. It should have been a lot easier if they made the brief extra effort to get it on their shoulders. At least Luke pulled it together and was helpful for that part.

I was hoping Margie would take off her shirt.
Old 05-11-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As soon as they said Luke was going to the challenge, I knew they lost it. I remembered that Chekov challenge where Luke got all frustrated and instead of just trying again until he got it, he just seemed to throw up his hands and waste time. He is immature and does not have any patience.

I was very happy for Victor and Tammy.

Why did the one girl blame herself for losing the challenge, when they got there so much later than the other 2 teams? Even if she remembered the first challenge, it didn't seem like they would have won.
Old 05-11-09, 10:35 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I wish her future husband all the best.. he will need it!
I'd volunteer
Old 05-11-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't believe the other 2 teams didn't put the pig on their shoulders after they saw mom/son steamroll thru them on that part. Stupid.
Old 05-11-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I can't believe the other 2 teams didn't put the pig on their shoulders after they saw mom/son steamroll thru them on that part. Stupid.
because the pig was too heavy for tammy and caira to put them on their shoulders.
Old 05-11-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Good season finale, although I thought it wasn't as dramatic as most seasons. They spent alot of time on that surfboard challenge. Previous seasons relied more on driving and running to the finish line.

Glad that Tammy and Victor won. I think they definitely grew and matured as the race progressed. I think Jaime needs some anger management. She was way too bitchy and mean to Cara on that pig challenge.

I don't understand when Jaime and Cara's cabbie got lost and he called his office to get directions and then lady gave a huge attitude and refused to help with directions. WTF was that about?
Old 05-11-09, 12:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't understand when Jaime and Cara's cabbie got lost and he called his office to get directions and then lady gave a huge attitude and refused to help with directions. WTF was that about?
No kidding. I'm assuming she was the dispatcher. Isn't getting the cabs to the right place her job?
Old 05-11-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

I would have manned up and carried the pig by myself, but I don't think Victor could have done that. Glad they won. After that rough spot in the mountains, they certainly got their chemistry down and started to have fun.

Was there a FF this season? I can't remember there being one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.