TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sci-Fi greenlights Caprica to series for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Sci-Fi greenlights Caprica to series for 2010

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Sci-Fi Channel has greenlit "Caprica," the much-anticipated prequel to hit series "Battlestar Galactica."
"Caprica" will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to "Galactica's" seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded 'droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society's emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.

Produced by Universal Cable Prods., "Caprica" will be exec produced by "Galactica" masterminds Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, along with Remi Aubuchon ("24"). The pilot was co-written by Aubuchon and Moore and directed by Jeffrey Reiner ("Friday Night Lights.")

Having already produced a two-hour backdoor pilot, Sci Fi is aiming for an early 2010 bow for the series, with production starting around the middle of next year, probably in Vancouver, where both "Galactica" and the spinoff's pilot were shot.

" 'Battlestar Galactica' was absolutely our flagship show. It put us on the map and helped transform the perception of the network," said Sci Fi prexy Dave Howe, noting that the cabler hopes to draw a broader audience to a series it sees as more compelling family drama than "space opera."

"We want people to come to this who have never heard of 'Battlestar Galactica,' " he added. "I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. 'Caprica' has none of that. It's an intense family drama set on an Earthlike planet, in the near future, speaking to a lot of the ethical dilemmas that we as a human race are going to have to face very shortly."

"Galactica" has had its fourth and final season in the can for several months, with the final 10 episodes culminating their run March 20. A two-hour movie adaptation, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan," is slated for early summer.

Mark Stern, original programming topper for Sci Fi and Universal Cable Prods., says waiting until 2010 to bow the prequel will give the producers time to regroup the core of "Galactica's" writing staff, which has largely scattered to other shows.

"One of the other things we have going for is, this is one of the first shows we've done in conjunction with our new cable studio," Stern added. "There will be a lot of coordination between the studio and the network, not just on production, but how the series is launched, as well."
Old 12-02-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about this. This is a prequel and I hate prequels plus this doesnt really have anything to do with Cylons, just a soap opera on Caprica.
Ho Hum.
The quote from Dave Howe says that this show helped transform this network?
This is the network that does Sci Fi original movies and has shows like Scare Tatics and Ghost Hunters.
Old 12-02-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, I'm down.
Old 12-02-08, 03:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
meh. lets take all the most boring bullshit I hate about BSG and make a show about it? no thanks.
Old 12-02-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a fan of BSG, I can't see the point of this. It feels like all it will do is retcon the series and introduce plot holes and continuity gaps...

I will give it a fair shake though. I wonder when we'll see the pilot/mini-series of this one.
Old 12-02-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't there a teaser trailer released a while back that was super lame and seemed to totally disagree with some of the mythos of BSG? I'll probably check it out but expect it to blow.
Old 12-02-08, 04:21 PM

" he added. "I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. 'Caprica' has none of that.
Dude, WTF? This is the Sci-Fi channel after all.
Old 12-02-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would rather have another Farscape movie than to see this.
Old 12-02-08, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
meh. lets take all the most boring bullshit I hate about BSG and make a show about it? no thanks.
Agreed. I don't really get this idea at all.
Old 12-02-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I would rather have another Farscape movie than to see this.
But only if it's a prequel with Chrichton's dad doing regular stuff on Earth for the IASA.
Old 12-02-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Wasn't there a teaser trailer released a while back that was super lame and seemed to totally disagree with some of the mythos of BSG? I'll probably check it out but expect it to blow.
yeah, it was so bad i turned it off halfway through it. i'll give it a chance, but i don't see myself lasting long with it. looked incredibly cheesy and boring.
Old 12-02-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Oooh ... a Lost in Space remake ... oh.

I'm open to a meaningful prequel -- but there seems to be absolutely no plot and no point.
Old 12-02-08, 09:03 PM

I'd be more interested if Galactica was running at the same time. Or if it was run when Galactica was on hiatus. SCI FI waited way too long to greenlight this.
Old 12-02-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
"I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers.
This is a perfect distillation of what's wrong with this channel. Someone should tell this guy that professional wrasslin' is a barrier to entry for people with a triple digit IQ.
Old 12-02-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely not my cup o' tea, and it seems like a really odd fit for the SciFi channel, but more power to 'em, I guess. If someone watches it and likes it, then it's no harm to me (unless it prevents them from greenlighting something that I actually WOULD watch).
Old 12-02-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Just watched the trailer for this last night. I must say I was completely underwhelmed. And I was so looking forward to this show. Oh well.
Old 12-03-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the idea of the show. I really like Esai Morales and Eric Stoltz and it's got a solid creative team behind it with Moore, Eick and Aubuchon.

I wonder what this means for Moore's other proposed series Virtuality on FOX? I know they are filming the pilot right now and it's suppose to air in the spring.
Old 12-03-08, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Small update. Sci-Fi ordered 20 episodes.
Old 12-03-08, 07:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
" he added. "I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. 'Caprica' has none of that.
In other words, let's take the SciFi out of it.
Old 12-03-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For some reason it sounds like a rip-off of 'Terminator Sara Connor Chronicals'. A bunch a drama stuff while an AI is developed in the background.

Frankly, for a prequel, I'd rather see the 1st Cylon war (with all the classic designs) before the Cylons went away for decades.
Old 12-03-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
About frakkin' time! I'm definitley down for this.
Old 12-03-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQlhlHwXjj0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQlhlHwXjj0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This seems to suggest that maybe a human built the first human-looking cylon or something? Could be interesting, but who knows...
Old 12-03-08, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd rather them do 2-3 more seasons of BSG than this.
Old 12-03-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Setzer
Oh please NO! Have you SEEN the last season or so of BSG?!?! They need to wrap it the hell up already instead of dragging it out further!

Thing about the Sci-Fi network is, they shouldn't have to worry about original programming so much with what the networks routinely cancel that they could pick up (e.g. Journeyman, Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, Firefly). While they didn't debut a show, they shouldn't write off snapping up the non-mainstream discards for themselves. They could genuinely pull some numbers for themselves - numbers a major broadcast network wouldn't sniff at but would blow their routine ratings away.
Old 12-03-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
I'm assuming Caprica will be significantly cheaper to produce than BSG, hence Sci-Fi's willingness to greenlight it as a series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.