King of the Hill Canceled

Old 10-30-08, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King of the Hill Canceled

Sad day all around for lovers of good TV
Old 10-30-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I've always liked the show, but it had about run it's course. The current episodes aren't as funny as the earlier stuff.
Old 10-31-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't this supposed to be canceled a few years back?

I wonder if this will affect the future of DVD season sets? I know they have been on hold for a while, but it seemed some abandoned shows were being revisited on DVD lately, so I was holding out hope.
Old 10-31-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yet the Simpsons carry on. I'm still kind of surprised KotH was on as long as it was, especially seeing Futurama go and Family Guy go (and then come back!). I wonder if, like me, the Fox executives forgot it was still on. There were a few years there when I had no idea it was still on the air. It didn't help that it always got (gets?) pre-empted by football.
Old 10-31-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there was a point when Fox had so many episodes that hadn't been widely aired (due to football) that they didn't order any episodes at all and were set to just burn off what they had. By the end of that season, they changed their minds and ordered more. That's what I remember about that period a few years ago off the top of my head.
Old 10-31-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
AccK!
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
It has been declining, but I still like King of the Hill because it attempts to tell an actual story in each episode, instead of just a bunch of random pop culture references.
Agree.

Maybe the show went down a few notches with the addition of Tom Petty & Lucky...
But this is always good for a laugh, and I do admire the show going beyond the scattershot sight gags and political jabs (unlike the MacFarlane animated block that follows) and rather hitting for a more solid 1/2 hr. storyline.

Two fave classic eps: "Beer and Loathing", "Dances with Dogs"
Old 10-31-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Substitute Spanish Prisoner and Love Hurts and So Does Art are two of my favorites.
Old 10-31-08, 12:27 AM

The episode where Hank's barber goes crazy and the New Orleans episode are my two favorites
Old 10-31-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't say that I'm all that surprised. It's probably time for it to become a part of our memories and our complete series collections.
Old 10-31-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am i the only one who finds it amusing that the voice of Bobby Hill is Charlie's coke head wife on Californication?
Old 10-31-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
So the whole Sunday night well be Simpsons and Seth Mcfarlane shows?
Old 10-31-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that made KotH great is that they never did anything that you couldn't do on a live action sitcom. The fact that it was a cartoon never affected the script writing.
Old 10-31-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Frankly, I didn't know it was still on the air.
Old 10-31-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It had a great run for such an underrated show.

I'm still sour over Fox stopping the DVD releases.
Old 10-31-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NO!

This is terrible, terrible news.

This is by and far one of my favourite shows. It was great coupled with The Simpsons, in my humble opinion, because whereas The Simpsons you had to check reality at the door, King Of The Kill was much more realistic and always presented situations I could actually envision people experiencing. Not onlythat, but it was a very moral-driven show and always left a good lesson for the viewer.

I like Family Guy, but if I had to pick one to go, I would not hesitate to axe Family Guy, as I truly feel it has run its course over the years, whereas with King Of The Hill I could have pictued it going on for a while and people not growing tired of it. Too bad Family Guy is FOX's new cash-cow and people will drink up whatever McFarlane spits out next. I'll probably check out The Cleveland Show, but don't we get enough of this with Family Guy? And American Dad is simply dreadful.

My only hope is that somehow, someway we can get a Complete Series release; and thankfully FX has the rights and broadcasts the show in syndication.

In any event, the show did have a great run and I am happy it stayed on air as long as it did, given it didn't seem like the most popular show around.
Old 10-31-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I am sad to see it go, it had a much longer run than I ever expected.
Old 10-31-08, 08:35 AM

"You had me at fruit pies" is my favorite line ever.

And Dale was the best; Rusty Shackleford, being oblivious about Joseph, the conspiracies...
Old 10-31-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"That's my purse, I don't know you!"

Too bad, I love this show, though I haven't seen a new episode in a long time (bad showtime on Sunday and no dvd releases )
Old 10-31-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Frankly, I didn't know it was still on the air.
Seriously! I used to love King of the Hill, and I still watch the occasional sydicated episodes, but I thought it had been cancelled some time ago.
Old 10-31-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
FOX should have done this years ago and cancelled it instead of Futurama.
Worst. Decision. Ever.

I swear Mike Judge must have had something on a FOX exec for this show to last so long.
Old 10-31-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could never make it through 10 minutes, meh.
Old 10-31-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was easy to see coming but it was still unexpected. It had a good run (even though it was almost always interrupted by sports).

When this show was on - it was on. Lately, though, I have been uninterested just like I am with all of the Sunday animated shows (except for American Dad which always gets a few laughs from me).

My favorite episode is "Dances With Dogs". A good example of what this show was really about. Not just ha-ha comedy all the time but it could be a comedy with heart.
Old 10-31-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pretty much agree with everything that has already been said and also thought that the show started to decline with the inclusion of Lucky as a main character. My favorite episodes always revolved around the Bill Dozer, Bill Dauterive.
Old 10-31-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to hate this show. I recently started watching reruns on FX over the past summer and fell in love with its dry humor. First season I started to Tivo new episodes and it gets canceled. At least I have quite a few older seasons to watch fresh.
Old 10-31-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FINALLY!

I had lost all interest since the 2nd or 3rd season. I've tried watching it a few times recently and just couldn't remember why I found it funny in the first place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.