TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- CGI animated series -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- CGI animated series -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by TGM
Anakin in the animated series looks nothing like Hayden Christensen, and now I see a photo of Jake Lloyd as an adult and wonder if the character was modeled after him as a tribute? Would be cool if true.
I always though the CGI designs were strongly inspired by the 2D animated Clone Wars that came before it. Particularly Obi-Wan's square beard and Yoda:

Old 02-04-21, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

One weird thing about the likenesses is how some thing like the Clone Trooper armor, droids, and some aliens (Jar-Jar) look like almost exactly their movie counterparts, but the human characters are extremely stylized (Dooku, especially). It's kind of off-putting in an anti-uncanny valley kind of way. The human characters look like puppets, and it frequently comes off looking Team America World Police. And quite a few lightsabre battles and other fight scenes look like they're from an X-Box game.

And then, a while back I rewatched The Phantom Menace, and the big Gungan/Battle Droids fight looked like it could have been from the Clone Wars cartoon.
Old 02-04-21, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The character design is one thing that put me off watching the show for so long, since it looks so janky at first glance. I've gotten used to it now, and It's been improving. I think I noted a big improvement on the human models at the beginning of season 3.

I did find reference to the CGI design being based on the 2D show:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011...5/indexp2.html
While the new Clone Wars series has a clearly defined look and style, Plunkett did refer to the characters of the original 2-D Cartoon Network series when designing the new CG animated characters.

[ Clone Wars Character Designer Kilian Plunkett ]"We looked at how Paul Rudish and Genndy [Tartakovsky] approached the characters to see if we could find certain shapes or features that had a similar feel and adapt them to work in three dimensions," explains Plunkett. "This meant finding shapes that are not quite as angular or severe but still have a stylized graphic 'swoop' to them
I also didn't watch the show initially because I was miffed at it, for seeming to be Lucas doing a knock-off of the excellent 2D series Genndy Tartakovsky had made. Seeing the awful reviews of the movie, and the middling reviews of the first season, made it easier to ignore.

In terms of some characters and things looking like it's straight from the movies, they probably are. I imagine since it was totally in-house, they just grabbed the assets from the movies and used them, maybe tweaking them a bit and adjusting textures and such to fit a CGI show instead of merging it with live action.
Old 02-21-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost done with season 4.

Spoiler:
I thought "Nomad Droids" was going to be a riff on Gulliver's Travels, but only the first segment was close.

The Umbara arc was done really well, although I felt Pong Krell was acting very un-Jedi like from the beginning. There's a lot of interesting dynamics and conflicts as the various clones have to deal with a commander that doesn't seem to care if they live or die, and whether they should obey orders that seem like certain death. I think they went a bit of the easy way out by having Krell outright admit being treacherous. It'd be scarier if Krell was for the Republic, but had the clones attack each other because he felt they were disobedient and had to be taken care of.

The Zygerrian slaver arc gave a peek into Anakin's darkness. Overall a good story, but some of the beats were a little too pat. The Zygerrian Queen realizing too late she's just a Separatist pawn echoed the Quarren leader in Water Wars a bit too much, and was a very quick turn. Likewise, the Togruta leader at the end agreeing to join the Republic instead of staying neutral makes sense, but was just rushed through.

Obi-Wan going undercover was a good arc, although at multiple points through it illustrated that having a Jedi go undercover in a criminal/Separatist plot isn't the smartest move, especially if the Jedi isn't willing to kill. Too often you see Obi-Wan stand by as his co-horts kill, sometimes killing people Obi-Wan just decapacitated. I guess the show thought having Obi-Wan actually kill, even to maintain cover, even if it was someone who was going to die anyway, was a step too far, but Obi-Wan was still complicit in many of those deaths, even if he didn't do the final deed himself. Also, this arc has Anakin throwing red flags all over the place about his anger management issues. Nobody seems particularly concerned about the level of rage Anakin shows after he thinks Obi-Wan was murdered.

I liked seeing Asajj Ventress again, although I still think Mother Talzin comes off as inept, as all her plans always seem to fall apart. Like, I understand she can't actually kill Dooku, but that voodoo doll was taking too long. Also, Grievous gets to her a little too readily even after the zombie Nightsisters are released. The battle on Dathomir should've been more than one episode, cause as is it seemed the Nightsisters were too easily eliminated.

Old 02-28-21, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Three episodes of the show left. .

I found a guide online that breaks down how to watch the final episodes of the series and Revenge of the Sith so they more or less line up. Think my girlfriend and I are going to do the final episodes and movie like that.

Old 02-28-21, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I found a guide online that breaks down how to watch the final episodes of the series and Revenge of the Sith so they more or less line up. Think my girlfriend and I are going to do the final episodes and movie like that.
Or, you could save some time and watch this brief animated recap of RotS:
Old 02-28-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Or, you could save some time and watch this brief animated recap of RotS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmReoDi4sE
We already had planned on watching Revenge of the Sith though. We’ve watched the other two prequels and most of The Clone Wars. The plan is to keep going through Return of the Jedi at this point (including Solo, Rebels, and Rogue One).
Old 03-01-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I just finished this series rewatch myself now to include the final season.
There's a really interesting uber edit of Revenge of the Sith out there that edits in the cartoon series battle, Clone Wars final 4 episodes and the deleted scenes from the live action film in one 4 hr and 19 min cut. It's pretty interesting to view it in that context.
Old 04-11-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still watching the show, but I've been taking it slower recently. I did pause to rewatch the 2D Clone Wars, which was recently added to D+. I feel that series still holds up, basically a 2 hour movie set between episodes 2 and 3 that tells a better story than either of those films. The CGI series clearly took a lot of inspiration from the show, expanding on a lot of the characters and concepts introduced in it.

I'm in the middle of season 5.
Spoiler:
I just finished the D-Squad arc, which ended up being a solid narrative, despite the introduction in the first episode being cringe-worthy. The return of Darth Maul had been "spoiled" for me years before, even before seeing Solo, so that arc was ok, but for me the most interesting aspect was making Asajj Ventress almost a good guy. The Young Jedi arc turned out better than the first episode in it seemed to indicate, which was a bit formulaic. Also, Hondo seems to have a lot of trouble holding onto his men and his base. .

Overall, the series is good, but I'm not sure if I'd call even any particular story arc great. It's also maybe overlong, with a number of arcs that likely don't contribute to the overall series story. I feel a bit exhausted with it. Lately, when selecting something to watch for the night, I find myself looking for other things to watch, settling on The Clone Wars if there's nothing more compelling.
Old 06-05-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished the series.
Spoiler:
The season 5 final arc was an effective way to get Ahsoka Tano believably away from the Jedi Order.

The Season 6 opening arc regarding Fives almost figuring out Order 66 was frustrating in that I knew it was doomed from the beginning. It's a bit like those conspiracy political thrillers where the protagonist is doomed to fail. The banking clan and Bardotta arcs were meh. At least Mother Talzin was done away with, I always found her to be an ineffectual character. The final arc of Yoda learning how to become a Force ghost was interesting, but overlong, and makes the question of how Anakin and Leia could appear as Force ghosts.

Season 7 was better. The jump in visual quality was noticeable. On Disney+ it played in 4K HDR, but the rendering overall was better. I did like The Bad Batch arc, although it seemed odd that Echo would join with them so quickly. I liked Ahsoka's arcs, the first was good to have her develop before thrusting her back into the main storyline, and the final arc was very strong.

I'm moving on to Rebels next, then may circle back to The Bad Batch series after that.