Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Fringe -- "The Ghost Network" -- 9/23/08

Fringe

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

During the investigation of the bizarre deaths of a bus full of commuters, Olivia, Peter and Dr. Bishop reach out to a troubled man with prognosticative powers of Pattern-related catastrophes who might be able to help them prevent another tragedy.

Old 09-23-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still on board.
Old 09-23-08, 10:43 AM
Cool New Member

Still watching, though I think they need to get rid of Olivia and get someone with half a personality in there.
Old 09-23-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm in but this is the last chance.
Old 09-23-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bibliophile4
Still watching, though I think they need to get rid of Olivia and get someone with half a personality in there.
Really? I have a weird thing for her. She's hot.
Old 09-23-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here we go...
Old 09-23-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm in but this is the last chance.
Ditto.

Actually, I got a call in the first 45 seconds trying to watch it as it airs. I'll be catching up probably this weekend.
Old 09-23-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I just turned away from Fringe, to a random Law & Order repeat, waiting for The Shield. Maybe it will play better on DVD, but I think im done for now.
Old 09-23-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
not sure why people are bailing from this show as they seem to be doing. this show is far more deserving of an audience than a show like Terminator is. for the people that are bailing, what kind of show were you expecting? is it the content of the show or the acting that is turning you off? just curious, since i like the show and think it's one of the better new shows this season.

Last edited by Deftones; 09-23-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely better tonight than the last 2 weeks.
Old 09-23-08, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
Definitely better tonight than the last 2 weeks.
Agreed, hopefully they can keep it up next week.
Old 09-23-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe this would have been better served had it been called "Deus Ex Machina." It is invariably following the pattern of a problem arising, and Walter inexplicably having an invention lying around to solve said problem.

Unless they deviate from "the pattern," the show will become trite in it's plot contrivances. I want to like this, truly, but the lackluster acting and storytelling is making it quite difficult.
Old 09-23-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
not sure why people are bailing from this show as they seem to be doing. this show is far more deserving of an audience than a show like Terminator is. for the people that are bailing, what kind of show were you expecting? is it the content of the show or the acting that is turning you off?

No its the not-very-attractive main chick. She looks like a cross between Cate Blanchett and Janice from the Muppets.

+ =
Old 09-23-08, 09:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I want to like this, truly, but the lackluster acting and storytelling is making it quite difficult.
Same here -- the show is just not engaging enough for me to care about it.
Old 09-23-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I believe this would have been better served had it been called "Deus Ex Machina." It is invariably following the pattern of a problem arising, and Walter inexplicably having an invention lying around to solve said problem.

Unless they deviate from "the pattern," the show will become trite in it's plot contrivances. I want to like this, truly, but the lackluster acting and storytelling is making it quite difficult.
Yup. Monster of the week formula. Problem, panic, solution pulled from no where. Maybe if there was more of an overall storyline.
Old 09-23-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I think it has gotten progressively better each week.

The cast's chemistry is definitely improving.

I always get a laugh out of the random invention Walter pulls out of his ass each ep.

I want Olivia to punch the Massive Dynamic broad in her smug face.
Old 09-24-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to admit, I liked the deadpan exchange regarding the students at the door.

"Is this political science?"

"Not remotely."

"Who was it?"

"Freshmen."

If the show keeps up that kind of humor, it'll have a better chance of holding my attention.
Old 09-24-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Better than the first 2 episodes, which is always a good sign.

Also love the X-files influence, Saw Darin Morgan's name in the credits.
Old 09-24-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
So, if the little coin thingie the bad guys wanted isn't hidden in the DEA lady's bag, by what stretch of the imagination would that guy know to go and dig it out of her dead palm? My first thought, were I to suspect it was "on her person", would be that she either swallowed it or shoved it up her patootie - but not surgically insert it in her palm!
Old 09-24-08, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
for the people that are bailing, what kind of show were you expecting? is it the content of the show or the acting that is turning you off? just curious.
Acting is fine, I like the cast but I was expecting a faster paced show. The previews before even one ep aired was this plane with what looked like zombie'fied people, a bus filled with goop, girl in a tank of something glowing and shipping crates blowing up.

What I got was people standing outside a plane, talking.. Standing outside a bus, talking about the bus. Then a lab, with talking..

Then at the same time every ep they go to this really interesting building, sit at a table and talk. Of course they also mix it up sometimes and sit and talk in the lobby of the really interesting looking building.

I think was I expecting a JJ Abrams mix of Alias meets X-files.. I don't want to say the show is bad, it's just not what I was looking for and like this ep I bailed out of about midway. As they were sitting some where dark and talking about something, I just did not care anymore.

I'll still record and watch a few more eps. I want to like it but I just don't.
Old 09-24-08, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
The good thing is that the show improves week after week. I'm just not sure how long I'll stick with it. They need to deviate away from the formula. I felt that last night's episode was just a better written version of the first 2 episodes. The acting is still pretty bad although it worked for me last night.

I can certainly understand why people are disappointed with the show. The promos make it seem like a show that it is clearly not.
Old 09-24-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like it... although I dig the talking scenes. I think Walter and Josh Jackson are both hilarious and get some great lines. I usually hate 'Freak of the Week' storylines but it's not bugging me yet and all the carryover stuff with Massive Dynamic and The Pattern is interesting enough to keep me watching. Really hope the ratings hold because I want this one to stick around.
Old 09-24-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one comment that I really got a good laugh out of was her accusing the head of Massive Dynamics of being connected to all the plots thus far, and then having it flipped to "don't you think it's odd they're all happening in Boston?" Touche.

At least they're acknowledging it.
Old 09-24-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta love a god "hit by the bus" scene.

Those always get me.
Old 09-24-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Fox, you suck for making me wait a week to view your shows online.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.