Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Next Food Network Star 6/1/08

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
With the whole personality thing, I think that any of the three had it. Just different types of personality. I like Aaron, and I picked him to win after a few weeks, but saying he was the best person for the job because he was camera ready is completely and utter laughable.
Old 07-28-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
i don't think that's completely true. you were in before my edit, but in Vegas, his promos were the best of the three and it appeared to only take him a few attempts before he relaxed and found himself in each one.
Well, that could've been good editing again. We never really got to see how many takes it took them. They could've just put together cuts 74, 97, and 106 to make it look the best.

I'm not saying Adam and Lisa were perfect by any means, as they could've benefited from good editing as well, but it seemed at least with Adam, and to a somewhat lesser degree Lisa, could roll with punches and improvise a bit. As Gordon Elliot so appropriately put "he looks like a deer in headlights."
Old 07-28-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
it's really hard for us to know. Truth is, many of us picked Aaron a long time ago, saying it was his show to lose. Maybe they edited it so that he looked worse than he really was, to create more suspense?

I just don't think he looked that bad, but it did appear that they tried to make him look worse. According to what they showed, each person got to a take that they called his or her "last take", so it's quite possible, likely even, that they each received the exact same number of takes. We don't know which person had the most good takes.
Old 07-28-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
it's really hard for us to know. Truth is, many of us picked Aaron a long time ago, saying it was his show to lose. Maybe they edited it so that he looked worse than he really was, to create more suspense?

I just don't think he looked that bad, but it did appear that they tried to make him look worse. According to what they showed, each person got to a take that they called his or her "last take", so it's quite possible, likely even, that they each received the exact same number of takes. We don't know which person had the most good takes.
Just watched it on TIVO, and thought it was interesting that they have a different person actually doing Adam's show idea (they had a commercial for it)

Thought Lisa was the best, but she I think would have brought in an older, less ethnic demo which FoodTV is obviously trying to cultivate.
Old 07-28-08, 09:23 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
Just watched it on TIVO, and thought it was interesting that they have a different person actually doing Adam's show idea (they had a commercial for it)
They've been promoting Ask Aida for weeks now... but it is kind of funny now that you mention it.
Old 07-28-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I don't think I'll be catching the "deer in headlights" show... well, maybe I'll watch the first one. I'm not into fancy-schmancy food so I could've passed on "Miss Squints". I would've been more interested in watching Adam's show. He had that personality that said "This may not be the most polished presentation but we're gonna make it through together somehow". Sort of reminded me of the Galloping Gourmet... for those old-timers here
Old 07-29-08, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
...and Guy Fierri, "cooking for real" Sunny, Bobby Flay's throwdown, blah, blah, blah. Fine Living Network for me. The original Iron Chef, Molto Mario, Wolfgang Puck, etc. The only show that I actually make a point of watching on the FN is Barefoot Contessa.

As everyone has already mentioned, it was blatantly obvious that they wanted Aaron all along. This was the first season that they had a 3 person finale because Aaron would have had to be the one that got eliminated in Vegas. If Adam's food had bombed with the Vegas chefs, Flay would had gladly dumped him and it would have been a 2 person finale. Also, this was the first season not to have the winner determined by a viewer vote. They probably feared that Aaron wouldn't have gotten the votes. Oh well, I was really hoping that the Romulan would have won even though I knew she was a longshot.

You don't think Aaron would have got the votes?

Did you hear the audience during his promo? The guy is extremely popular and likable. I agree Aaron was not the one who was "most ready to do a show tomorrow." However, there was only 1 judge who said that, he did not say it was the only criteria for picking a person.

Also, they could have edited in that statement just before the decision so it made you think they were not going to pick Aaron for the surprise factor. Aaron was definitely not the most camera ready, but he had personality, you can't teach that.
Old 07-29-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agent2099
You don't think Aaron would have got the votes?
I think that Adam would have edged out Aaron in a vote, but FN saw to it that we'll never know.

Did you hear the audience during his promo?
I agree with wmansir(post #92) that the FN might have edited it to show a more pumped up reaction for Aaron. I like Aaron. I just feel that FN has enough of these shows already on the roster(Boy Meets Grill, Down Home with the Neelys, etc). That's why I was rooting for Lisa. The only show that remotely resembles her concept is Barefoot Contessa(Ina Garten) and I rather enjoy that show.
Old 07-29-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and Guy Fierri, "cooking for real" Sunny, Bobby Flay's throwdown, blah, blah, blah. Fine Living Network for me. The original Iron Chef, Molto Mario, Wolfgang Puck, etc. The only show that I actually make a point of watching on the FN is Barefoot Contessa.
I blame Rachael Ray and Emeril. FN seems to be trying to cultivate personalties now rather than good cooking shows. Aside from Good Eats & Nigella "Bites" or whatever they're calling her show this week. There aren't many FN shows I bother watching anymore. I go to PBS when I need my cooking show fix (America's test kitchen,Lydia's table, Daisy cooks, etc).
Old 07-29-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Lydia>Giada

Old 07-30-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^

Lydia>Giada

You obviously don't watch Giada for the same reason I watch Giada !!

And agree all 3 of the finalist had good pilots, but thought Adam's 'internet' angle was good but think see why that was shot down with the 'Aida' commercials. Eh, will give Aaron a try to see how he pans out.

As to the 'personalities' observation... well this is TV... good food is one thing, but you have to make it interesting to watch. There have been several shows where I had no interest in the dishes being prepared but watched anyway because of the host. And I don't consider Emeril a personality anymore...his show is pretty boring to watch except to poke fun at when the audience goes ape shit over 'gaaarlic' or hot sauce.
Old 07-30-08, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by greg9x
As to the 'personalities' observation... well this is TV... good food is one thing, but you have to make it interesting to watch. There have been several shows where I had no interest in the dishes being prepared but watched anyway because of the host. And I don't consider Emeril a personality anymore...his show is pretty boring to watch except to poke fun at when the audience goes ape shit over 'gaaarlic' or hot sauce.
Oh, you definitely need to pique interest with an entertaining host; however, Food Network seems like it's making that the most important thing, even more so than food, something on which the whole network is supposed to be based. Basically, it's like "On Tuesday night at 9 PM, come check out our really cool, off the wall host; s/he'll even be doing some cooking!" Food Network needs more Alton Brown-type hosts (he oozes personality but doesn't make the food/cooking thing take the back seat) and fewer Neely/Deen types.
Old 07-30-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greg9x
You obviously don't watch Giada for the same reason I watch Giada !!
Sure I do. Lydia looks like she'd be a demon in the sack. I'll stand by my statement!
Old 07-30-08, 11:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Aaron had lots of charm that could be shaped. He deserved the win. Plus everyone liked his food.

But the show itself is so obviously manufactured in the editing room, it's hard to believe any of the footage. Lisa on Rachael Ray was a prime example of the Food Network tinkering too far with footage to create drama.
Old 08-02-08, 05:29 PM

This morning I was watching the FN and Down Home with the Neelys came on, but before I could change it, they said that Aaron was going to be a guest today.

So I watched it.

You know what?

He did great.

He made a Lemon Dill Chicken with Wild Mushrooms over Fettuccini. It looked really good... and he was calm and fit right in with them. It was a good show.

... and just a heads up, his show "Big Daddy's House" is on tomorrow (8/3) at 1:30/12:30c.
Old 08-02-08, 06:23 PM

he won because he is black..yeah i said it. he did ok but the white guy had a better show idea and did a better job. FNC needs the black market and the god awful neelys arent enough. speaking of the neelys...who the hell watches them? can they just please cook instead of making verbal love? they are everything that has gone wrong with that channel.
Old 08-03-08, 01:31 PM

I just watched Aaron's first ep (production episode BI0102, next week is actually the first produced ep).

It was a good menu and a good show. They must have edited him to be a bumbler in the show, because he has really worked a few kinks out (if he had them to begin with).

He was really comfortable in his set and seemed to be having a great time doing the show.

I'll keep watching.
Old 08-03-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone else think it's possible that Foot Network stole Adam's idea to make "Ask Aida"?

I found this answer from Aida on google:
I don’t know if you watched the finale of The Next Food Network Star, but there's some buzz online about how Adam's show pilot incorporated the element of answering questions via the Internet. Would you mind setting the record straight about the similarity to your show?
People don’t always realize how long it takes to make a show; there are so many different elements that need to come together. We’ve been talking about [Ask Aida] since the end of Fall/early Winter last year. Ask Aida was well, well underway when Star was being filmed.
I guess it's just coincidence that Aaron's show, which presumably started production just after the end of TNFNS's production is premiering at the same time.
Old 08-03-08, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
... and just a heads up, his show "Big Daddy's House" is on tomorrow (8/3) at 1:30/12:30c.
No reruns??
Old 08-03-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No repeats of it this week, according to my DVR. I forgot to record it today so I checked for repeats. I'll catch next week's episode.
Old 08-04-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Does anyone else think it's possible that Foot Network stole Adam's idea to make "Ask Aida"?

I found this answer from Aida on google:
I guess it's just coincidence that Aaron's show, which presumably started production just after the end of TNFNS's production is premiering at the same time.

I cry BS. It is just TOO coincidental.
Old 08-04-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not impressed with his show at all..I thought he cooked better dishes when he was competing..
the quick editing and snapshot still thing was annoying and I tired quickly of him saying this or that "bad boy " every 5 min.
and could he have cooked anything greasier than he did??
Old 08-04-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. It has potential but the "bad boy" and "what I'm gonna do" really got annoying.
Old 08-04-08, 07:35 PM

Ask Aida isn't a coincidence, but technically Food Network didn't steal the idea. When you apply, you have to submit 30 recipes and a show idea, which all become the property of the Food Network.

I could care less about the show idea since I've never thought of one, but my recipes are mine, I'm not giving them up.

Aaron's show was hit and miss with me. I hated how he talked about having the kids help you with this step, but they were nowhere to be found and he was flat. When he had his son with him at the end, he was a different person and much more enjoyable.

Last edited by Keith6601; 08-04-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Keith6601
Ask Aida isn't a coincidence, but technically Food Network didn't steal the idea.
FN seems to be having difficulty in coming up with original ideas lately. They have another Bobby Flay show called "Restaurant Revamp". The description of the show is that Flay uses his culinary expertise and business acumen to help turn around a struggling restaurant. Gee, this plot sure sounds familiar!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.