Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 6, April 22 / 23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be go home this week?
Jason Castro
30.49%
Syesha Mercado
9.76%
David Cook
2.44%
Brooke White
39.02%
David Archuleta
2.44%
Carly Smithson
15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Top 6, April 22 / 23

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES! I love you, America! Dreams do come true.
Old 04-23-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez, Jason is such a goof. How many faces did he make tonight?
Did anyone notice when they were backstage looking at the monitor, he was yawning? Too funny!

:: When he said he didn't want to sing. He must have really hated that song.
Old 04-23-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty crazy... Looks like Im out. The fact that Jason Castro is still around after last night pretty much seals this season for me.
Old 04-23-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was my eyes playing tricks on me or did I see KISS's Paul Stanley in the audience last night.
Old 04-23-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, I think it's obvious KLC voted for BW. I'm only sad that Carly left before Castro, but Syesha performed better than her tonight. Hopefully, Carly fans will vote for everyone except Castro.

FIVE times Syesha has made it thru bottom group. What's the record?
Old 04-23-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I don't understand all the hate for Castro. I admit some nights he sucks, but guy at least has his own identifiable voice and has had some really good nights. You can label Cook the rebel for his night after night arrangements that go:slow verse, big chorus, even bigger half time ending with long, off key wailing, but dude never came out with a ukelele, or sang a chick's song. That's true rebellion right there...
Old 04-23-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again we're reminded that once you have a fan base, it's better to suck as hard as you can than to be average or slightly above average. The more you suck, the more your fans will go crazy voting for you. Syesha's gone next week, and there's nothing that can stop it. Brooke could go out on stage, vomit, and then cower in the fetal position the entire night, and it would only get her even more votes.

das
Old 04-23-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Once again we're reminded that once you have a fan base, it's better to suck as hard as you can than to be average or slightly above average. The more you suck, the more your fans will go crazy voting for you. Syesha's gone next week, and there's nothing that can stop it. Brooke could go out on stage, vomit, and then cower in the fetal position the entire night, and it would only get her even more votes.

das

Since it's neil diamond week that may actually be part of the song...
Old 04-23-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She'll start to vomit, but only squeeze out a few dry heaves, start over, then work up some chunks.
Old 04-23-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't get the love for Leona Lewis. I hate the timbre of her voice, and she sang her song in a key that I found grating. Plus, I was distracted by how thick her knees were.
Old 04-23-08, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
She'll start to vomit, but only squeeze out a few dry heaves, start over, then work up some chunks.
Heh heh, classic. Guess she'll get my vote since I WAS all about the Carly.
Old 04-24-08, 06:43 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
FIVE times Syesha has made it thru bottom group. What's the record?
Nikki McGibbon in Season 1 was in the bottom group 6 times... and she was #3 at the end of the season. Phil Stacey (S6), Kimberley Locke (S2), and Anthony Federov (S4) were in the Bottom group 5 times.
Old 04-24-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Was my eyes playing tricks on me or did I see KISS's Paul Stanley in the audience last night.
You're right. He walked right by me as he was going down the bleachers. His gf or wife or whatever was quite hot. Hot enough so that everyone was staring. And commenting.

David Duchovny was also in attendance. So was Courtney Love.

Um, what else do I remember...I remember Nigel saying that David Archuleta was the only one who did "what he was supposed to do" and that was to make it "pop" and "modern." He also mentioned that he thought Castro's performance was disasterous.

He did talk a bit about those dial-a-vote mass voting things and whether people just voted for their favorite. He said he sincerely believed that people really do vote for who is "good" and who is "not good." I think he meant in general and that "good" might mean just the overall package rather than just the singing.

Oh yah, he says that the reason why they took what's-his-name's songs down from myspace is that they want to create a level playing field as much as possible. But that "it never really is a level playing field because things like talent get in the way." He was being sarcastic. He's really sarcastically funny.

oH yah, about my earlier description of the selection process, he says those mini-producers choose the best and the worst, and after those who didn't get picked get their wristbands cut and sent home, Nigel and the other EP decide on who gets to see Randy, Simon, and Paula.
Old 04-24-08, 08:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Next week, Jason will choose "I'm a Believer" and will breathlessly tell the interviewer "I had no idea this was sung by monkeys!"
Old 04-24-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
Looked like it was him to me. On a side note Gene Simmons was doing a 7-11 tour down here promoting some energy drink.

Next week, I'm just hoping neither Jason or David A sings "I am, I said". That would make me sad.
Old 04-24-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, Brooke got a ton of sympathy vote because she seemed so fragile.

Carly may have suffered because of the way she celebrated after Simon praised her. She ran and got her "Simon Loves Me!" t-shirt and, IMO, it came off as rather obnoxious.
Old 04-24-08, 08:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Carly may have suffered because of the way she celebrated after Simon praised her. She ran and got her "Simon Loves Me!" t-shirt and, IMO, it came off as rather obnoxious.
Brooke has a similar plan when she gets voted off. She'll run offstage, and come back wielding a chainsaw. "WHO'S FRAGILE NOW, BITCHES?!?"
Old 04-24-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Final 5 Pick’em contest standings, based off of potential points. Only one person picked the final five correctly, Ardathbey:

1st: Ardathbey (40 points)
2nd: Groucho (36 points)
3rd: (8 way tie) The Godfather, Heat/Davidh777, Charlie Goose, Magiccmom, Das Monkey, Brainee, Goldberg74 (30 points)
11th: (2 way tie) El Scorcho, Jeffkjoe (28 points)
13th: (2 way tie) Chris Edge, Gambit (26 points)
15th: DVD Josh (24 points)
16th: Rkndkn (22 points)

Rules & Picks – in spoilers due to the length:

Spoiler:

Scoring:

a. For each of the five people you picked who are actually in the final five – two points each.

b. If your fifth place pick finishes in fifth place or higher, two points.

c. If your fourth place pick finishes in fourth place or higher, four points.

d. If your third place pick finishes in third place or higher, six points.

e. If your second place pick finishes in first or second place, eight points.

f. If your first place pick finishes in first place, ten points.

Picks:

P=40
Ardathbey:
1. David Cook
2. Brooke White
3. David Archuleta
4. Syesha Mercado
5. Jason Castro

P=36
Groucho:
1. David Archuleta
2. Brooke White
3. Jason Castro
4. David Cook
5. Michael Johns

P=30
The Godfather:
1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Brooke White
4. Carly Smithson
5. Michael Johns

P=30
Heat / davidh777
1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Brooke White
4. Michael Johns
5. Carly Smithson

P=30
Charlie Goose:
1. Brooke White
2. David Archuleta
3. David Cook
4. Michael Johns
5. Carly Smithson

P=30
Magiccmom:
1. David Cook
2. Brooke White
3. David Archuleta
4. Michael Johns
5. Carly Smithson

P=30
das Monkey:
1. David Archuleta
2. Brooke White
3. David Cook
4. Michael Johns
5. Ramiele Malubay

P=30
Brainee:
1. David Archuleta
2. David Cook
3. Brooke White
4. Carly Smithson
5. Michael Johns

P=30
Goldberg74:
1. David Cook
2. Brooke White
3. David Archuleta
4. Michael Johns
5. Carly Smithson

P=28
El Scorcho (per the odds he posted)
1. David Archuleta
2. David Cook
3. Michael Johns
4. Brooke White
5. Carly Smithson

P=28
Jeffkjoe:
1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Michael Johns
4. Brook White
5. Carly Smithson

P=26
Chrisedge:
1. David Cook
2. David Archuleta
3. Carly Smithson
4. Michael Johns
5. Brooke White

P=26
Gambit:
1. David Archuleta
2. David Cook
3. Michael Johns
4. Kristi Lee Cook
5. Jason Castro

P=24
DVDJosh:
1. David Cook
2. Michael Johns
3. Brooke White
4. Carly Smithson
5. David Archuleta

P=22
Rkndkn
1. David Cook
2. Michael Johns
3. Carly Smithson
4. David Archuleta
5. Brooke White
Old 04-24-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta say I'm very surprised by last night's events. Happy for Brooke though. Will somebody please give that girl a Valium.

Someone else on this thread mentioned the possibility of a backlash against Carly by the Christian American public for her song choice. Now I have to wonder if he was right. If you don't know the context of that song (and how many Americans are familiar with JC Superstar?) many would consider it blasphemous. And the fact that she's not a "real" American born and bred doesn't help either. Myself, I thought that both Syesha and Carly did a much better job than either Castro or Brooke and I would have voted Castro off.

If there was any doubt that AI is more of a popularity contest than a talent contest, last night dispelled all doubt.
Old 04-24-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny how Carly leaves after she finally starts to have a good time, and Brooke stays when she is looking absolutely miserable.
Old 04-24-08, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Funny how Carly leaves after she finally starts to have a good time, and Brooke stays when she is looking absolutely miserable.
I suspect that a lot of AI fans are wanting to see Brooke go out in true psychotic glory. They may just get their wish yet. Her mind is crumbling, Fall of the House of Usher style.
Old 04-24-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
mytzplyx, I've gotta ask. Did you have a hamster walk over your keyboard to come up with that handle?
I think of:

Last edited by ytrez; 04-24-08 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carly never realized that America just wasn't that into her, but a backlash because singing "JC Superstar" was seen as blasphemous? Seriously?

THAT troubles me far more than last night's blatant confirmation that AI is a popularity contest and not a singing competition.

And yes, ALW IS a strange little man.
Old 04-24-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
I suspect that a lot of AI fans are wanting to see Brooke go out in true psychotic glory. They may just get their wish yet. Her mind is crumbling, Fall of the House of Usher style.
I hope they're making the contestents go through a metal detector. Though Neil Diamond should be a return to comfort for Brooke and Jason. Plenty of singer/songwriter-y stuff for Brooke to play solo piano to, and solo guitar-friendly mellow songs for Jason.
Old 04-24-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Someone else on this thread mentioned the possibility of a backlash against Carly by the Christian American public for her song choice. Now I have to wonder if he was right. If you don't know the context of that song (and how many Americans are familiar with JC Superstar?) many would consider it blasphemous. And the fact that she's not a "real" American born and bred doesn't help either.
Isn't Carly Irish? That's like Catholic central isn't it? Sorry to be so general, but I can't say that I've researched it much. I'm not familiar with JCS, so I don't know the blasphemous implications of the song.

I'm glad that Brooke is safe, but I'm sad to see Carly go home.

Jason is not unique... he sounds just like Jack Johnson - I've always thought that. And he's so apathetic about everything that I'm very surprised he hasn't gone home yet.

I also can't stand David A.

I think it will come down to the Davids, and possibly Syesha in the top 3. I prefer Brook to everyone though and hope that she gets to put out an album, 'cause I will definately buy it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.