TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Moment of Truth

Old 01-23-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the fuck did Uncle Pedro have to do with anything?
Old 01-23-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts
I think this is the absolutely worst game show/idea ever. I will never watch it again.

That answer is.... true.
Old 01-23-08, 11:27 PM

that answer is true... gosh! that could get so annoying.. and why is it taking that guy forever to answer the questions?
Old 01-24-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The big problem (besides the faux suspense) is that polygraph tests are pretty easy to fool. Not me, of course, but a "friend" of mine has taken two tests administered by FBI trained law enforcement professionals. This "friend" lied on at least half the questions asked and was not caught.
Old 01-24-08, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sergtv
that answer is true... gosh! that could get so annoying.. and why is it taking that guy forever to answer the questions?
he was stalling, he didn't want to answer the question - if he said true, you knew he would have been lying.
Old 01-24-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many couples do you think this show is going to break up or cause troubles for in thier relationships with the questions they are asking. The football guys wife looked kind of pissed with some of his answers
Old 01-24-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Big to this show. The answer is.................................................................................................. .................................................................................................... ....................................TRUE!

Ugh!
Old 01-24-08, 10:14 AM

for some reason, with the first guys' wife.

I kept thinking Russian mail order bride.
Old 01-24-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think they are required to wait a certain amount of time before they can answer....like a signal from the producers, in order to contribute to the faux suspense.
Old 01-24-08, 10:28 AM

While the annoying wait for the True answer is annoying (and yeah, you could fast forward through about half of this - which I did at breakfast), I'll admit to laughing at this one. It sure could be improved, but I still enjoyed seeing the scumbag have to answer those questions and then lose the money. Good times.
Old 01-24-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two major problems with this show:

1) The contestant already knows what questions were asked. The first six questions are an easy $10,000. After that, the contestant can put a monetary value of whether or not he wants his loved ones to know that he rapes school children behind the middle school.

2) It doesn't show any consequences. The first guy lied about never touching female clients inappropriately. I want to see his wife beat the shit out of him on the drive home.

Also, this just seems so freaking staged. In the promos for next week, it looks like the contestant's son asks if he has ever gambled away a child's college fund. Why the fuck would they just randomly ask somebody that question? That seems awfully coincidental. Unless the contestant's family/friends get to suggest questions.
Old 01-24-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Also, this just seems so freaking staged. In the promos for next week, it looks like the contestant's son asks if he has ever gambled away a child's college fund. Why the fuck would they just randomly ask somebody that question? That seems awfully coincidental. Unless the contestant's family/friends get to suggest questions.
Exactly. I suspect the producers will only allow those contestants to play the game that they suspect of hiding deep secrets which when exposed will make for "good" television. Ugh. They must go through a lot of potential constestants in the screening process hoping to finds the ones they can embarrass on television with their questions.
Old 01-24-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
I think this is the absolutely worst game show/idea ever. I will never watch it again.
It's actually a good idea, poorly executed. If they'd get rid of the long pauses and the fact that you have to get through SIX FREAKIN' QUESTIONS before you even start to get to the "interesting" ones, they might have something.

A more interesting premise, however, would be to just show them taking the polygraph itself (with their family/friends in the room) with the caveat "Pass the text, win $500,000".
Old 01-24-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I didn't watch it and have almost zero interest, but I did just read this review on the Onion's AV Club:

The Moment Of Truth
posted by: Sean O'NealJanuary 24, 2008 - 1:30am

It’s only the first episode and already The Moment Of Truth has its own catchphrase: “But at what cost?” It’s an apt question for a show that asks contestants to answer increasingly uncomfortable personal questions in exchange for money. But poised as we are on a seemingly endless fount of reality television, maybe now is a good time to apply it to ourselves, to stop and take personal stock of what our insatiable appetite for voyeurism is doing to our insides. Yes, it’s provided us with plenty of cheap laughs and mindless entertainment—but at what cost? Through our ever-vigilant, Big Brother eye have we reached a greater understanding of the human condition? Or have we just reveled in the misery of our fellow humans like petty jackasses, feeding off each other’s tears like Madagascan moths?

I didn’t come to this review expecting to get all “the sky is falling” about the human race. In fact, I’m the first to admit I’m the worst of all when it comes to schadenfreude TV, and normally I love a thick, tasty slice of other people’s misery. For example, I’m one of those heartless bastards who only watches American Idol during audition weeks, fast-forwarding impatiently through the feel-good stories about dying mothers to get to the fuck-ups so I can snicker at their self-delusion. In college, I missed an awful lot of afternoon classes to gawk at the filthy, titillating laundry being aired on daytime talk shows. I have yet to miss even an episode of Celebrity Rehab. So when Moment Of Truth was first announced, I’ll admit that I got that same old evil glint in my eye, tenting my fingers like Mr. Burns in anticipation of all the excellent pain I’d be witnessing. “Soup is fucking on,” I said.

But somewhere around the quarter-hour mark of Moment Of Truth, I felt oddly queasy. Not for the contestants, two generic assholes who most definitely had it coming (like all reality show participants do) for agreeing to sacrifice their dignity in exchange for a blip of “fame” and what is--especially for a prime-time game show--a fairly paltry sum of cash. No, the ache in my conscience-bone was something much more personal, and the usual pleasures I derived from seeing people shoot themselves in the foot were strangely absent. This wasn’t like rubbernecking at misguided dopes mangling Whitney Houston, or watching drunken whore-donkeys cry into the cameras about how they’re meant to be with Bret Michaels. This was something far nastier hiding behind a veneer of popular entertainment, perhaps beamed in from some soulless, Verhoevenesque future. Watching it, I had the stirrings of something I haven’t felt in a long, long time: actual, tangible shame.

I’m not going to belabor the point with a lot of hyperbolic rending of garments, or go off on some diatribe about how Moment Of Truth represents the nadir of civilization. But I will say that this is one cold fucking show—from its ridiculous faux-UFO set to the way smug host Mark “The L. Means I’m Not The Boogie Nights Guy” Walberg asks contestants if they “care to elaborate” on how they maybe, possibly cheated on their wives, as casually as if he’s prompting them for a funny vacation story. The cheap purple vapors floating around the stage are a fair representation of the pervasive, impersonal frigidity that envelops Moment Of Truth like a spine-chilling fog, poisoning any possible enjoyment with its cheery callousness. I found my schadenfreude quickly turning to self-disgust amidst the “oooohs” of the ceaselessly hooting studio audience, that old reliable Greek chorus of man’s basest instincts, which I swear has never sounded more like the baying of bloodthirsty jackals (and I used to watch a lot of Jerry Springer). Is this what we’ve been reduced to now? Selling out our secrets—and with them our carefully constructed personal lives—for the viewing pleasure of shit-flinging monkeys, all in exchange for a little bit of attention and a pittance of cash? Moment Of Truth left me moaning about "values" and "morals" like a Brylcreemed '50s preacher burning an Elvis Presley record, and for that I hate it.

I suppose it could be worse: On the original, Colombian version of Moment Of Truth, the winning jackpot went to a woman who admitted she’d put a hit out on her husband. (The show was immediately canceled.) Thus far, none of the contestants have made it past the relatively tame first half of the oversharing pyramid—questions like “Have you ever checked out another man’s privates in the gym shower?” that provoke a lot of giggles but are ultimately harmless—so it’s hard to similarly condemn the American version just yet. It seems pretty unlikely that it will be unmasking any cold-blooded criminals, anyway. But stories are already floating around about break-ups in the wake of this season’s taping, and even from this fairly limp premiere it’s easy to see why: Watching the wife of a personal trainer learn that not only does her husband believe she’s probably not a suitable life partner, but he’s also almost certainly cheated on her with some of his clients, you can only imagine the tense conversations they’ll be having on the flight home. And for the next few weeks. And pretty much every day until the end of their relationship. To make matters worse, since the contestant got caught in a lie, they both walked away with absolutely nothing to show for all those permanent cracks he put he in his marriage—except for a commemorative tape of the time he went on TV and fucked up his life. When a contestant loses on Moment Of Truth, he’s actually losing everything, and somehow watching that is less fun than it sounds.

Grade: D

Stray observations:

- The fact that contestants are submitted to the lie detector tests well before the taping—and thus know exactly what questions they’ll have to answer to reach the finish line—and yet they sit there squirming after every single one baffles me. If you’re going to whore yourself out, why not go for it? Warn your family in advance and just bulldoze through those questions with your eye on the prize. Otherwise you have no business being on the show.

- Despite all of my protestations, there’s a certain sick part of me that wants to see what happens next week, when the kid confronts his father about gambling away his college fund. Maybe this conscience thing is only temporary.

http://www.avclub.com/content/tvclub...oment_of_truth
What does it say about me that now my curiosity is piqued?

"It's time to start RUNNING!"
Old 01-24-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
"It's time to start RUNNING!"
SciFi is doing that one
Old 01-24-08, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
It's not random. You can check out the contestant application on the show's website. They ask about your relationship with various family members and ask a lot of probing questions about past indiscretions. They also ask for contact info for friends and family members. So by the time of the lie detector test, you can be pretty sure they've already conducted interviews with everyone around you, basically done a background check, and specifically tailored the questions to topics you're uncomfortable with.
Old 01-24-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't tell which is worse: the contestant pausing for 10 seconds before answering a question he's already heard and answered, so there's no surprise or suspense, or the voice-over pausing for 10 seconds before telling us the answer is "true" after the contestant admits to something incredibly embarrassing. No shit it's true.

Mark: For $100,000, have you ever had sexual fantasies about the cast of Good Burger?
Douchebag: Yes
Voice-over: That answer is ... ... ... ... ... FALSE!

das
Old 01-24-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
1. This show is much easier to watch (as are most gameshows) on a DVR, where you can fast forward through 80% of it.

2. What is the point of having all those people there? The wife/girlfriend, I could see, but the friends? Unless there were some really seedy questions involving them coming out later.

3. The questions are clearly setup after some extensive background check on the participants. I'm surprised they don't spice it up by having some Jerry Springer-esque reveals... "oh, you never had an affair? Let's bring out Wanda!"

4. What was the point of Rodney Peete coming out to read that one question? To cross promote the sports show? Because the guy was a former football player?

5. My first thought was that this show was too simple, since they ask all the questions beforehand, so the contestants know all the questions anyway. But there is an added layer in that the contestants presumably don't know the results of the polygraph test. They may lie to the polygraph test and have it get caught, then decide to tell the truth on air... or would they be confident that they fooled it, and present the same answer (the lie)? Granted, it still doesn't make the concept that enjoyable, but it is an extra layer.
Old 01-24-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
1. This show is much easier to watch (as are most gameshows) on a DVR, where you can fast forward through 80% of it.
First, let me say that I did not watch the show, but someone on the radio today played an "edited" version. They eliminated things like player introductions, opening and closing credits, and all of the long pauses. The result was just over 2 minutes in length, but still included all of the questions, answers, and "true" or "false" reveals.
Old 01-24-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Which makes me appreciate Jeopardy that much more. Answer/question/answer/question. No freaking pause. No stupid gimmicks. Maybe they should take some notes from shows that have actually been around.
There's a new gameshow on weekday afternoons called "Merv Griffin's Crossword". It's a truly refreshing throwback to gameshows that had smart contestants and proportionate prizes, and avoids that enraging modern formula started by "...Millionaire?" of bombastic music and lighting, stratospheric prize money, and interminable "suspense" pauses. "Crossword" even has retro theme music.

As for this "Moment of Truth" garbage, I'll probably watch it a few more times, but only with a finger poised over the FF button. Cutting out all the dead air will whittle it down to about 10 minutes.
Old 01-24-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
watched about three minutes of this ... I had to walk away...
3 minutes? Was that long enough to hear a question and an answer?
Old 01-24-08, 07:23 PM

if they stopped with the fake suspense i would actually really like this show. as of right now its a good show to watch while doing something else.
Old 01-24-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's actually a good idea, poorly executed.
This is exactly how I felt watching the show. I expect a big drop in ratings next week.
Old 01-24-08, 08:42 PM

Here's a video of the entire (condensed) episode:

Moment of Truth

Guess how long it is?

Last edited by Aegean2007; 01-24-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
Here's a video of the entire (condensed) episode:

Moment of Truth

Guess how long it is?
Ugh, I could only make it like 15 seconds in. What a crapfest...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.