Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I thought it was terrible. What was good about it? The hackneyed and predictable story? The flat direction? No explanation for why the TARDIS took off in the first place (yes, reality was just-so-Martha-could-return-for-an-ep, but for Pete's sake, give me some sci fi excuse).

As for the Doc's "daughter," it was was completely lame, contrived, and, to make matters worse, a blatant sell for another (unneeded) spinoff. I swear, thats the kind of thing, the kind of overload, that, mark my words, will be the end of the series. Thier energies would be better spent on quality control and improvement of Who rather than spreading themselves thin with cash-in spinoffs.
Well, RTD's still involved with these episodes, and good riddance to him, because he's driven this show to pure cheese.
Old 05-13-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I caught up with the last two episodes, and while I'm enjoying this season, it feels slightly off to me. We're halfway done and haven't had a "great" episode yet. Some fun stuff, and very enjoyable, but largely forgettable. I don't have the desire to rewatch any of these episodes which has never been the case with seasons past.

I hope this season goes out with a serious bang...which I think it definitely will.

I really liked Martha this go round. Even though her trip with The Doctor and Donna was largely a waste, I do like how her character seems to have grown up. You can see the influence the Doctor had on her with how she reacted to the Fish-Faces (who were so fucking ridiculous). Martha was kind of wasted in all three episodes she was in, really. I wish she was treated with a bit more reverence. You know they are going to treat that other one like the Queen to end it all. Martha should get some of that too, instead of being treated like a stop-gap.

Jenny was irritating at first, but she grew on me quickly. She's no Sally Sparrow or Girl in the Fire Place, but this season keeps the tradition of introducing an interesting blonde girl mid-season going. I was on board until those last few seconds, where this definitely felt like a pilot for a spinoff show featuring her. Unless that was setup for her to hook back up with the Doctor later this season.

Donna is kicking ass. I'm getting such a kick out of her. They can stop with the "We're not a couple" gag, we get it, but other than that I really dig her.
Old 05-14-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Doctor and Donna couple thing is an "Ongoing" gag which means we'll probably get it a bit more.
Old 05-17-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Unicorn & The Wasp = Worst Episode of the New Who and on par with some of the craptacular old Who eps.
Old 05-17-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh bullshit. That was a wonderful episode. Not every story has to be filled with stunning revelations, and the Doctor saving the universe.
Old 05-17-08, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Oh bullshit. That was a wonderful episode. Not every story has to be filled with stunning revelations, and the Doctor saving the universe.
That's not at all why I hated it it, but thanks for jumping to that conclusion.
This episode made even Titanic In Space look fantastic.

Spoiler:
The "Bee Baby" and the "Unicorn" girl thief...it was just a horrible story. The Doctor curing himself from cyanide in front of everyone and no one really questioning it other than the throw-away line "you're impossible" just horrible writing and bad story-telling.

Maybe if I gave a rats-turd about Agatha Christie I might appreciate it, but sadly I don't. I'm also beginning to really dislike Donna. The only good thing about this episode - no giant exposed brain. I have never bad-mouthed a single episode of the New Who until now. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled and am now expecting too much from this series and the writers.

Last edited by dan30oly; 05-17-08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 02:57 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I enjoyed this Agatha Christie episode, very cool. Great to see Felicity Kendall again
Old 05-18-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought "Unicorn and the Wasp" was great. I think that newWho misses more than it hits, but its episodes like "Unicorn.." that keep me from abandoning all hope. It was quick, cute, had an interesting angle, and didn't really falter until the clunky ending.

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Spoiler:
The "Bee Baby" and the "Unicorn" girl thief...it was just a horrible story. The Doctor curing himself from cyanide in front of everyone and no one really questioning it other than the throw-away line "you're impossible"
just horrible writing and bad story-telling.
Well, you can dissect the plotholes to death on any fantasy show. Some exasperating and fantastic stranger showing up during a moment of chaos realistically would always be treated much different than the Doc is. In terms of this particular eps pacing, I think it fit just fine because the plot kind of snowballs forward, they are in the thick of it, so there wasnt really any time to stop things dead for some cover-up explanation of who this weird guy is.

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Maybe if I gave a rats-turd about Agatha Christie I might appreciate it, but sadly I don't... Maybe I'm just getting spoiled and am now expecting too much from this series and the writers.[/spoiler]
Well, you might have answered yourself there. Like I said, I liked the cute Christieisms, especially how they modern joked with everyones alibi. As for the latter, for me, the writers bar is set pretty low on newWho, so I expect the worst and this time I thought it was tighter than any ep so far this season.
Old 05-18-08, 06:35 PM

After thinking about it some more, the flashbacks. I hate flashbacks (other than Lost, which is the only exception to being able to consistently pull them off). Flashbacks are lazy writing and story-telling. The only worst thing the writers could have done with this ep. would be a laugh-track.
Old 05-18-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The flashbacks served a purpose in that they didn't match what the person was describing they were doing, which added to the humor.
Old 05-19-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Unicorn" was entertaining enough to pass the time, but it'll be a pretty easily forgotten Who episode. In fact, much of the season has been that way. The earlier comment about "no great episodes" so far has been accurate.

On the plus side, next week it's Moffat to the rescue.
Old 05-19-08, 06:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I liked "Unicorn and the Wasp", and am really looking forward to next week. "Stay out of the shadows!" Kinda like "Don't Blink!"
Old 05-20-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The latest episode was an improvement over the previous episode but that isn't saying much.
Old 05-20-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I thought the people over at Outpost Gallifrey were a tough audience...
Old 05-20-08, 05:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
On the plus side, next week it's Moffat to the rescue.
That cheesy-looking talking wall thing in the previews has me worried.

As for "The Unicorn and the Wasp", you can tell who on this forum is familiar with Agatha Christie and who isn't. The entire style and plot was an homage to her stories. And the incident where she disappeared really happened.
Old 05-20-08, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I liked "Unicorn and the Wasp", and am really looking forward to next week. "Stay out of the shadows!" Kinda like "Don't Blink!"

Unfortunately, Silence in the Library isn't on until May 31st. Eurovision is scheduled for the 24th.

http://www.doctorwhoforum.com/showthread.php?t=181307
Old 05-20-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought unicorn and the wasp was probably the worst episode of Dr. Who I ever seen. I didn't like the story. I couldn't get into it at all.
Old 05-20-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who aren't happy with RTD, check the following link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...bc.television2

It looks like Steven Moffat, award-winning writer of episodes such as "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink", will be taking over as executive producer from Davies in 2009. Very good news. Moffat's episodes have been among the best of the new series, if not THE best.
Old 05-20-08, 12:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's excellent news, to be sure. It's interesting that that article doesn't mention Tintin at all.
Old 05-20-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome.

Can the announcement of a James Nesbitt casting be far behind?

Last edited by Chew; 05-20-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 01:45 PM

I was just coming to post this!!!!

That's is beyond awesome news!!!!
Old 05-20-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thats cool. I like the eps Moffat has written well enough. Dont know what kind of producer track record he has but hopefully he has a good vision. As long as he veers from the bombast (weepy emotion, Christ metaphors) I'll be happy.

*Fingers crossed*

I'm especially positive because of the addition of Tennant leaving. As much as people might like him, getting a new actor in the role and a new producer at the helm is a double whammy, a huge change, a big redesign. Sure it could go either way, turn out worse rather than better, but thats a risk I'm willing accept over things staying the same.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-20-08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats cool. I like the eps Moffat has written well enough. Dont know what kind of producer track record he has but hopefully he has a good vision. As long as he veers from the bombast (weepy emotion, Christ metaphors) I'll be happy.

*Fingers crossed*

I'm especially positive because of the addition of Tennant leaving. As much as people might like him, getting a new actor in the role and a new producer at the helm is a double whammy, a huge change, a big redesign. Sure it could go either way, turn out worse rather than better, but thats a risk I'm willing accept over things staying the same.
Where has it been confirmed that Tennant is leaving?
Old 05-21-08, 02:36 AM

*Fingers crossed*

You're still going to have to wait quite a while to get a new Doctor, even with Moffat coming on board. David is scheduled for three specials next year and then the full fifth series after that, so you are looking at two more years at least with him still playing the Doctor.
Old 05-21-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Can the announcement of a James Nesbitt casting be far behind?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I admit that I'm not terribly familiar with Agatha Christie, so maybe because of that I found this ep to be pretty boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.