Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

I was a Sesame Street freak, but also saw Letter People, Electric Company, and Mr. Rodgers.

I still remember the 3-2-1 Contact episodes vividly for some reason too...the Bloodhound Gang where I learned what a dwarf star was lol...

Anyone else here watch Reverse the Curse, or was that a regional thing only?
Old 02-21-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not PBS, but if anybody here was from SD or southwestern MN, did you watch Captain 11?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1e8fsFLyvE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1e8fsFLyvE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He just died a few weeks ago
Old 05-25-10, 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the great memories - I hope you can all help me. I have been searching for this for months.
There was a show on PBS I believe that was called The Math Factory. It was puppets that worked out math problems on a large computer and the janitor would clean up at the end. The theme song rocked. Any clue?
Old 05-25-10, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

You sure it wasn't called "The Infinity Factory"? I remember a math show from the 70s with that name about math.
Old 05-25-10, 09:50 PM

No, that wasn't it. This show had muppets. It may have been a short shown during the Electric Company or Zoom.
Old 02-13-11, 11:48 PM

Does anyone remember a show about a snake named Nigel? The themesong went something like this...' Nigel, Nigel, where ya been? '. I believe it was a segment that was played during another show. Please help, it's driving me nuts not being able to remember it. Thanks
Old 02-13-11, 11:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooltime40
Does anyone remember a show about a snake named Nigel? The themesong went something like this...' Nigel, Nigel, where ya been? '. I believe it was a segment that was played during another show. Please help, it's driving me nuts not being able to remember it. Thanks
I think you're referring to a segment that was from a series called 'Vegetable Soup'
Old 02-14-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zoom and the Big Blue Marble are the only ones that I remember. 3-2-1 Contact... that was my show!
Old 02-25-11, 08:41 PM

I remember an nature educational program in the late 70's or early 80's that had a woman as the host or narrator , it was about the California desert. I can't remember what show it was . Can someone tell me please ?

$cott
Old 02-25-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I remember that too. The editor was the black woman who was later on Carmen Sandiego. Her character was named Red Green, of all things.

Man, I remember the local public TV station running a lot of these things when I was a kid. I also remember that because they never ran ads during the educational programming (even for other shows) they would sometimes fill the time between shows with cards counting down how many minutes to go. Those always seemed to go on forever, but I'm sure it was never more than five minutes.
And now, a year later, I found an episode posted online

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GnIcNH07tws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-25-11, 10:23 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 02-26-11, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by scotta1
I remember an nature educational program in the late 70's or early 80's that had a woman as the host or narrator , it was about the California desert. I can't remember what show it was . Can someone tell me please ?

$cott
This was on Pbs here in TN. and it was a "woman" kinda manly voice . I'm sure she was always in the California desert . We watched it in class sometimes . I'm 38 , prob was elementary school . Thanks .
Old 02-27-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
What was the show with the dude in the body suit that showed all his organs and stuff? And he would talk about how the body worked?
Mr. Goodbody?

I always watched '3-2-1 Contact' and vividly remember a show about weather when there was a storm threatening their clubhouse with that big glass wall. Oh, I was so scared for them.
Old 02-27-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

4-4-3-2
That's the way for me and you.
Slim Goodbody.
[Mentioned earlier in thread, I think].

And thanks for mentioning Clyde the Frog, he's the one I was thinking of. We used to watch that in school.
[oldmanrant]Even kids educational stuff aren't as good today as the stuff WE had [/oldmanrant]

And not the 70s, I think in the 80s, but I used to get into Square One TV. Mathnet, Mathman. Math based sketch comedy, what could go wrong.
Old 04-14-17, 04:57 PM

Okay. This is a tough one. Not sure if it was zoom or the electric company. But during one program on pbs there was a segment that didnt have any people. It was a time lapsed video of the arrival of spring. There may have been a brook or creek scene to scene. But as that video played out. There was this music. A melody i have not heard since 1979 0r 80. And i cant remember the show or who composed the piece. But like me. If you heard it again and found it. Youd prob burst into teare yourself. Because. Everyone has heard this melody before. Can anyone remember the time lapsed video with some kind of a golden colored flower coming into bloom and the guitar melody that played thru the whole video ??
Old 04-14-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is probably not the one your looking for but I remember this one from the 70's.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kojxgL3nf0Y?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-14-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Don't know if it was a kids show but I always dug Que Pasa USA? No, I didn't watch it back in the day, but I did watch it when I was in high school. It's funny. It's 60% in English and 40% in Spanish. Steven Baur (Scarface) got his start on that show before branching out. His name was Rocky Echevarria in those days.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-14-17 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't know if it was a kids show but I always dug Que Papa USA? No, I didn't watch it back in the day, but I did watch it when I was in high school. It's funny. It's 60% in English and 40% in Spanish. Steven Baur (Scarface) got his start on that show before branching out. His name was Rocky Echevarria in those day.
One Hispanic series that was on PBS that I liked was American Family with Edward James Olmos. Only lasted a couple of seasons and it was a really good drama. I don't think anyone really saw it.
Old 04-14-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
One Hispanic series that was on PBS that I liked was American Family with Edward James Olmos. Only lasted a couple of seasons and it was a really good drama. I don't think anyone really saw it.

I've never heard of that one.
Old 04-15-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I was born in 1977. None of those songs or shows seem familiar to me. I do remember "3 2 1 Contact," although I think they still aired that show into the '80s.
I was graduating high school in 1977 so I don't know any of those shows either. In my days in the early 60's there was no PBS, at least not that we got on our B&W TV. I think the kid's shows back then were Capt. Kangaroo and a local show Romper Room. On Sunday Mornings there was the SSHHHHH Show. Designed to keep kids quiet so mom and dad could bang away while we watched TV. Showed 3 Stooges, Shirley Temple and Westerns mostly.

Saturdays were the traditional Saturday cartoons; Jonny Quest, Banana Splits, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Top Cat, George Of The Jungle.
Old 04-15-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
In my days in the early 60's there was no PBS, at least not that we got on our B&W TV.
I actually remember that Sesame Street started in 1969. I had just turned 4.
Old 04-15-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't know if it was a kids show but I always dug Que Pasa USA? No, I didn't watch it back in the day, but I did watch it when I was in high school. It's funny. It's 60% in English and 40% in Spanish. Steven Baur (Scarface) got his start on that show before branching out. His name was Rocky Echevarria in those days.

I basically grew up on QUE PASA, USA as a kid of the 70s, and a Miami kid at that. My sister had a blonde Gringa friend and my Spanish grandmother (who barely spoke a word of English) used to call her "Sharon".

Andy Garcia also made an early appearance on the show as well, alongside Rocky Echeverria/Steven Bauer.
Old 04-16-17, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Another show I thought about was Up and Coming. I loved that show and actually talked about it with a few friends at grade school. I don't remember there being a real ending, it just kind of stopped.
Old 04-16-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I basically grew up on QUE PASA, USA as a kid of the 70s, and a Miami kid at that. My sister had a blonde Gringa friend and my Spanish grandmother (who barely spoke a word of English) used to call her "Sharon".

Andy Garcia also made an early appearance on the show as well, alongside Rocky Echeverria/Steven Bauer.

I think the Spanish situational humor is way better than the English dialogue subplots, etc. Granted, I think that was the point, but since they were using public/government funds to produce the show the contract stated that the show had to be bilingual.

Ana Margo was cute as hell and I do remember that she used to co-host this gameshow for a few years that was syndicated out of Miami and played on Telemundo here in L.A., with some old dude. She was attractive in that, too. I recently saw a picture of her and she's about 300lbs now and works as at some company as a communications director or something.
Old 07-09-20, 08:19 PM

Desperately trying to remember the name of an educational PBS show from the 70s and 80s that solved simple math problems using puppets and props such as lengths of string and so on in a workshop setting or something similar. Seems like one of the puppets was named "Cranston" maybe. Please help!!!

thanks
Will in Richmond VA

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.