Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Heroes -- "Powerless" -- 12.03.2007

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What do you think about this "season"..?
24.86%
27.03%
It could've been better!
43.78%
Liked it, but it was more fun coming to these weekly threads and needlessly bitching about it!
3.78%
Other wiseass comment (see below).
0.54%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Powerless"

Deep below Primatech Paper in Odessa, TX, Peter's reunion with Nathan turns violent when the brothers, Matt and Hiro all clash thanks to Adam and his pursuit of the deadly Shanti Virus. After watching his heroic cousin captured by a street gang, Micah turns to the one person who can help him save Monica -- his mom. Meanwhile, Maya tragically learns how much of a monster Sylar really is during his kidnapping of Molly and Suresh. Meanwhile, Elle decides to play hero to get back into her father's good graces.

Well, this is it. Sad that so much time was wasted up 'til 2-3 episodes ago.
Old 12-03-07, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I voted .

The only problem I had with this season was that is started out slowly. However, when it picked up it was as exciting as last year, IMO. I think they should take a cue from this season. Make the season 12 episodes next go around. That way you won't have to have all those filler storylines.
Old 12-03-07, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The only problem I had with this season was that is started out slowly.
if they were planning for a strike to happen, i doubt it would have started out as slow

i'm looking forward to the episode
Old 12-03-07, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

can't really say that this season should of been better when it got f'd by the strike. i give it a thumbs up for what we got. really not expecting this episode to be amazing or anything though.
Old 12-03-07, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by redrum
can't really say that this season should of been better when it got f'd by the strike. i give it a thumbs up for what we got. really not expecting this episode to be amazing or anything though.
Sorry, but that's a copout to blame it on the writers' strike. Tim Kring and Co. claim they planned out 2 individual storyarcs for the entire season, so what we've been watching for 10 episodes has been what they intended all along, strike or no strike.

And no offense, but it's been a disaster. Characters acting like complete morons half the time in order to service the plot, new additions to the cast that are completely worthless if not downright annoying, a storyline that took forever to get going and didn't exactly thrill or entertain when it finally did, and plotholes you could drive a Mack truck through.

Thumbs down for me. Way down. If there's one show that'll benefit from the strike more than any other, it's Heroes. Now Kring can go back to the drawing board and deliver a 3rd season that lives up to the promise of Season 1(lameass finale notwithstanding). Provided the majority of fans are still watching next fall.
Old 12-03-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Went with "could've been better". I hope Kring learned a lot from the mistakes of the early part of the season and continues to apply them to Volume 3.
Old 12-03-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted could have been better. Too many new characters being shoved down our throats was only the second biggest problem I had with this season. The way I see it, to expose the ultimate plot point of human destruction by a virus about 5 shows into the season is just lazy writing.
Old 12-03-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm finally caught up and have to go with a Speilberg reference in regards to Jurassic Park, "It took too long to get to the island."

Once we got to the virus plot this season, it was as riveting as last year. There is still way too much dead weight this season though. Too many worthless characters that need to make their exit tonight.

My good riddance hopeful list(worst offenders to least offenders):
  • Nikki & Micah - worthless plotline eating up screentime. Let her die from the virus and Micah move on to a normal life. The show comes to a grinding halt whenever their story pops up.
  • Micah's cousin's family - Can't remember her name but again, using powers to break into a gang hideout for a medal and some comics?
  • Maya & Alejandro - they could turn out interesting but taking ten episodes to get to America from Brazil(?) ...zzzzzzzzzz.... Road trip with Sylar? ...zzzzzzzzzz...
  • Sylar - served his purpose last season. Move on to a new bad guy. Bob & "the Company" have turned out quite interesting and very worthy of filling his shoes this season. The X-Files' "conspirator" group has turned out to be a lot more interesting than Sylar chopping off more heads.
  • Claire & West - didn't we do the cheerleading-high-school sucks-boyfriend problems-look, I'm invincible thing last year? Yeah, we did. Move on.

====================

On the positive side
  • Hiro is always entertaining, although separating him from Ando has been a mixed bag. I didn't mind his stint in feudal Japan.
  • Kensei/Adam was a nice edition, but maybe a tad too much Highlander.
  • Mohinder has developed nicely, as well as Parkman. The 'my two dads' plotline could have been worse than it ended up being.
  • Bob and 'the Company' have been excellent.
  • Elle is currently 'take it or leave it' for me. She doesn't add much, but she isn't as annoying as the other new additions either. Could go either way.
  • the Heroes' parents conspiracy plot is intriguing
  • HRG is always entertaining.
  • Peter's amnesia was a very lame plot device, but since the virus plot started he's been entertaining.

On the whole I don't think the season is as bad as it's made out to be, but it has definitely been a mixed bag.
Old 12-03-07, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Entire Post
I agree 100% with every single point.

I love the Spielberg quote as well. I'm going to steal that one for sure.
Old 12-03-07, 12:18 PM

It's gone to crap. I won't be watching next season.
Old 12-03-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't comment in these threads anymore, but I voted because overall, I think it's been solid. Not quite as good as S1, but I somewhat discount the lame things Corvin mentioned because they almost HAD to have some stupid filler in a full 22 or whatever episode season. The worst part was probably introducing 1 or 2 too many new Heroes. Each one on their own didn't have enough character development for us to care what happens to them.
Old 12-03-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm finally caught up and have to go with a Speilberg reference in regards to Jurassic Park, "It took too long to get to the island."

Once we got to the virus plot this season, it was as riveting as last year. There is still way too much dead weight this season though. Too many worthless characters that need to make their exit tonight.

• Nikki & Micah - worthless plotline eating up screentime. Let her die from the virus and Micah move on to a normal life. The show comes to a grinding halt whenever their story pops up.
  • Micah's cousin's family - Can't remember her name but again, using powers to break into a gang hideout for a medal and some comics?
  • Maya & Alejandro - they could turn out interesting but taking ten episodes to get to America from Brazil(?) ...zzzzzzzzzz.... Road trip with Sylar? ...zzzzzzzzzz...
  • Sylar - served his purpose last season. Move on to a new bad guy. Bob & "the Company" have turned out quite interesting and very worthy of filling his shoes this season. The X-Files' "conspirator" group has turned out to be a lot more interesting than Sylar chopping off more heads.
  • Claire & West - didn't we do the cheerleading-high-school sucks-boyfriend problems-look, I'm invincible thing last year? Yeah, we did. Move on.

====================

On the positive side
  • Hiro is always entertaining, although separating him from Ando has been a mixed bag. I didn't mind his stint in feudal Japan.
  • Mohinder has developed nicely, as well as Parkman. The 'my two dads' plotline could have been worse than it ended up being.
  • Elle is currently 'take it or leave it' for me. She doesn't add much, but she isn't as annoying as the other new additions either. Could go either way.
  • Peter's amnesia was a very lame plot device, but since the virus plot started he's been entertaining.

On the whole I don't think the season is as bad as it's made out to be, but it has definitely been a mixed bag.
Excellent post. I agree 100 %.
Old 12-03-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple of weeks ago I was hoping someone would toss a hand grenade into the car that Sylar and the Mexican bunghole twins were in to end the stupid plot line.
Old 12-03-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

====================

On the positive side

Agreed with all points except 2:

1. I like the ability of Micah's cousin and that plotline.
2. I couldn't stand Hiro's plotline in the past--WAY too long.

Oh, and we need MORE Elle!
Old 12-03-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, even Tim Kring agrees that this season blows. Sorta. Now, will it get better like he promises? I guess it kinda has in the three weeks since that article - but I think it's been too little too late, as it's still a shadow of it's first season.
Old 12-03-07, 09:12 PM

Damnit

Why didn't Sylar pull the trigger....
Spoiler:

when it was pointed at all-i-do-is-cry-black-tears

sooooo close.

edit:
Noah/HRG rules...."You could try." Brilliant!

edit:
look out...she's goin' for the video ipod!

edit:
oh oh...."I can find him for you."

edit:
Woo-hoooo!!!!
Spoiler:

TWO down!

edit:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't waste Claire's blood!

Last edited by elengineer; 12-03-07 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ummm....why doesn't Peter walk through the door
Old 12-03-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nathan giving parkman a piggy back flying trip

"flying man!"
Old 12-03-07, 09:33 PM

Shouldn't it occur to Peter that if the virus was still behind a locked vault than it wouldn't be getting released?
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you, Sylar! Finally!

I LOL when Nathan was trying to straighten out his back after flying him and Parkman from NYC to Odessa.
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Now that was stupid.

I know they weren't popular and people were bitchin' and moanin' about them, but to have all that time wasted in "character development" and have this be the result is just ridiculous..
Old 12-03-07, 09:34 PM

r.i.p. sexy maya.
Old 12-03-07, 09:34 PM

humh

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Now that was stupid.

I know they weren't popular and people were bitchin' and moanin' about them, but to have all that time wasted in "character development" and have this be the result is just ridiculous..
stop looking a gift horse in the mouth...
Old 12-03-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh she ain't dead... they'll do something to bring her back.

... and why didn't Peter just walk through the door?
Old 12-03-07, 09:42 PM

jesus why didn't hiro just freeze time? lol.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.