Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Survivor Man" -- 11/08/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Wow did people really think the episode was that bad? I enjoyed it, and especially loved the last scene with Jim and Michael. Groucho you have been especially tough on the show this season, and I can't even tell if it's Groucho sarcasm or actual disgust with it.
Old 11-08-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mr. A. Knife"

Old 11-08-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Worst Episode Ever"

Oh ya, except it was great, especially the end.
Old 11-08-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't the best episode, but had great moments in it. I'm glad they didn't drag out Michael in the woods.

"Jan has plastic BOOBS!"
Old 11-08-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been pretty critical of most of this season, but I actually thought this episode was decent. It wasn't overwhelmingly hilarious, but I liked the more modulated feel of the storylines.

When I read the plot synopsis, I half expected that Michael would actually be doing some crazy stuff (groan) like crashing Ryan's teambuilding outing. I was pleased that the show didn't go in that direction, nor that Michael didn't really do anything too nutso while he was in the woods. So I gave the episode some points just for that.

And the storyline with Jim growing to understand the routine pressures of trying to please everyone as "boss" was fairly well done too I thought. It was an opportunity to give some delineation to both Jim and Michael as real characters (as opposed to the cartoon into which Michael has so often been turned lately) - something that was well summarized in the final scene, where Michael was allowed to be a bit more human and real than he normally is portrayed. As a sidebar to that, it is interesting to note that this episode was written by Steve Carell himself.

And I thought the sequences with Dwight's hidden weapons, as well as Creed freaking out over the birthday party plans, were pretty hilarious myself.

Overall, I would say that this was my second favorite episode of this season so far, and I actually had pretty low expectations when I saw the previews.
Old 11-08-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually thought this was a pretty funny episode. Michael was more humanized and not over the top like some points in this season.

I also liked the Jim storyline. I almost took it in two ways, in also saying that trying to make everyone always happy made Michael into a crappy manager. The funny moments are great, but it's storylines like Jim's tonight that really makes The Office stand out.
Old 11-08-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight's scene as the credits were rolling reminded me of Tim in the UK Office, and his realization that it's his career, it's sad, but what else would Jim do?
Old 11-08-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,083 Posts
I'm surprised at the dislike for this episode as well. I though it was actually pretty good.

Michael ripping apart his suit just to tape it all back together when it got cold was great.

The look on Jim's face when Phyllis accidently called him Michael was good as well.

And Jim and Michael at the end was perfect!

Was it just me or did Jenna Fisher look especially good when she told Jim he was "really shaking things up"? For some reason she had a really sexy look on her face.
Old 11-08-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,083 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
Tonight's scene as the credits were rolling reminded me of Tim in the UK Office, and his realization that it's his career, it's sad, but what else would Jim do?
Somthing tells me that the friction that everyone is waiting for in Jim and Pam's relationship is finally going to come as a result of either: A. Pam wanting to leave to become a graphic designer, or B. Jim decides he can't stay at Dunder Mifllin any longer. Just my thoughts...
Old 11-08-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it, wasnt as good as the last few. It had some great moments, loved dwight and his weapons all over the office, the toby stuff, Micheal telling toby to hurry up, no one cares. Micheal yelling Jan has plastic boobs, dwight saving him at the end. Dwight with the rifle, Micheal at the end talking to Jim was excellent. Good episode not the best. But not as bad as some said. I think theres never been a bad episode of the office. Just good episodes and AMAZING episodes.
Old 11-08-07, 11:26 PM

Very funny episode! I still love last weeks episode, but this one was also very good. Loving the whole season so far. To bad it ends next episode.
Old 11-08-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else notice the continuity error in having Meredith's birthday close to the others? Back in season one, they had her birthday party early because no one else's was close.
Old 11-08-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was it just me or did Jenna Fisher look especially good when she told Jim he was "really shaking things up"? For some reason she had a really sexy look on her face.
She looked fantastic the whole episode. I think it was the blue sweater she was wearing.

I thought it was a pretty damn good episode. I honestly can't think of anything that I didn't like.

Last edited by zekeburger1979; 11-08-07 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I tented my pants"

ususally I'm not a fan of The Office outside of the office for long periods of time but I thought tonights epi was great

as has been the whole season thus far

I guess I know what I sounded like all of last year reading the comments of those who didn't like tonight
Old 11-09-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I didn't dislike the entire episode, but that last scene with Jim and Michael before/during the credits was gold.
Old 11-09-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I don't get the lack of love. As a huge Survivorman fan I loved this episode (mostly because it reminded me that I wanted to do the exact same thing as Michael). It was the best of the season for me so far. After watching Scrubs and Earl I was pleased they didn't force in the stupid "Green" crap like the other episodes.
Old 11-09-07, 02:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Great episode!
Old 11-09-07, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought this episode was pretty funny but not the funniest. The difference to me is that this helped expand the character of Jim and Michael and get a little better taste of who they are. To me this makes it a great episode.

Also the one thing I couldn't help thinking during the episode was a Survivor man (Michael) Vs man vs wild (Dwight) seeing as how one was solo and the other had a crew and was still in the wild.
Old 11-09-07, 04:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
ugh, awful episode.... maybe the writers DO need some time off to reflect on things...

...I thought Jim's delivery sucked... he seemed so forced on his lines.
Old 11-09-07, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Yeah, I noticed that too. It was hot.

Thought this was a good episode. Laughed a lot and the Jim/Michael scene was great.
Old 11-09-07, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
ugh, awful episode.... maybe the writers DO need some time off to reflect on things...
The "writers" in this case was Steve Carell, solo.
Old 11-09-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorta funny, but we're mighty far removed from 2nd season in general, if you ask me.
Old 11-09-07, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
After watching Scrubs and Earl I was pleased they didn't force in the stupid "Green" crap like the other episodes.
What "Green Crap" was there in Earl? All they did was make fun of the fact that their "boss" was forcing them to put a green message into their program.
Old 11-09-07, 06:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The "writers" in this case was Steve Carell, solo.
then he needs to stick to being in FRONT of the camera.
Old 11-09-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought it was a decent episode with some definite LOLs.
Ending was pure gold and totally worth the wait.

One nitpick: why did Meredith ask for cake?
Isn't she supposedly allergic to dairy?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.