DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV: Worst.. sophomore.. slump? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516230-tv-worst-sophomore-slump.html)

Eric D. 11-12-07 08:00 PM

Heroes. It went from being great, to damn near unwatchable.

cliffzig 11-13-07 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Heroes. It went from being great, to damn near unwatchable.

To everyone who is poo pooing all over Heroes:

Don't you think you should let S2 air completely before throwing down such harsh judgments? You don't know, the show just might totally redeem itself and become something great.

Then again, the strike might prevent such greatness from ever happening.

Just my 2 cents.

lotsofdvds 11-13-07 08:23 AM

The mid-section of season two of Twin Peaks, hands down. When David Lynch took his ball and went home, and Mark Frost left to make Storyville... the show tanked.

Doughboy 11-13-07 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by cliffzig

Don't you think you should let S2 air completely before throwing down such harsh judgments? You don't know, the show just might totally redeem itself and become something great.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree we should view the season in its entirety before judging. That's like saying Lost Season 3 sucked because the 6 episodes that aired last fall were awful(and they were).

The problem is Heroes Season 2 is done after the next 3 episodes. So unless Tim Kring and Co. have something really special in store, this will likely go down as one of the worst sophomore slumps in recent memory. I mean, the creator of the show even apologized to the fans. How often does that happen?

stingermck 11-13-07 09:15 AM

Dark Angel, big time!

Rocketdog2000 11-13-07 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Although not really successful, Roswell is another one that comes to mind. I loved the first season but the WB meddled with the creator and he changed the feel of the show from being a sorta drama to a strange science fiction story that for the most part made no sence. The 3rd season that aired on UPN for the most part was awful.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I thought Season 2 was much better then Season 1. I preferred the Sci-Fi feel over the romantic angle.

I suppose it depends a bit on perspective, too. I missed pretty much the entire first season, started watching during the second and fell in love with it, then I went back and watched the first season. I thought they were both equally good for each angle they presented. Season 3, though, tried to be the best of both worlds, but didn't quite pull it off. It would have been nice, too, if they could have also given Season 3 a full episode run, and thereby allowed the creators more time to wrap things up. As it played out, ending the show four episodes short made it come off as too rushed.

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Wow, no votes for The O.C.? Aside from the Oliver storyline, Season 1 was outstanding. Season 2 was an absolute mess.

I'll agree with you on the Oliver storyline. However, Season 2 wasn't that much of a disaster. Especially compared to Season 3.

Originally Posted by wmansir
Prison Break. Veronica Mars.

The reason is the same for both shows. They had a solid single season premise which they resolved (VM to a greater degree) and after that it was obvious they were improvising.

After rereading the thread title I have to say I don't think these are the worst slumps, because neither show went strait into the crapper or anything, but they definitely had a sharp decline in quality.

More true about VM (although I still enjoyed the second season), but Prison Break was, according to the creator, a two season premise show. The first season was getting out of the prison, the second wrapping up the conspiracy of who framed Linc, and resolving that. I liked the Season 2, but would have preferred it had they kept to the original plan, and just wrapped up the show at the end of it. And they could have, too, had the damn network not wanted more show, so they had to improvise an extension to it.

Lastly, except for the twins story arc, I've had no problem with the second season of Heroes.

riley_dude 11-13-07 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cliffzig

Just my 2 cents.

The creator apologized to everyone and said he was going to fix things. If the last three episodes are any indication, it looks like he is doing a pretty good job.