DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV: Worst.. sophomore.. slump? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516230-tv-worst-sophomore-slump.html)

TGM 11-03-07 08:42 PM

TV: Worst.. sophomore.. slump?

Obviously YMMV, but.. IMO certainly Twin Peaks, hands down, followed closely by Lost. Heroes is getting there. Any others?

Michael Corvin 11-03-07 09:26 PM

I can't agree on Lost. Sure it did a lot of things differently than people were expecting, but it was still a hell of a season. I think what killed it for most people was the time change and the constant breaks.

GoldenJCJ 11-03-07 09:26 PM

Last year Friday Night Lights was appointment TV. This year I couldn't care less. I think I've even deleted an episode or two from my DVR without even watching it.

Ephemeral_Life 11-03-07 09:44 PM

I agree with the second season of Lost - thankfully, the third turned out to be much better.

movieking 11-03-07 09:45 PM

Heroes.

kvrdave 11-03-07 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
Heroes.

It is certainly shaping up that way.

Jimmy James 11-03-07 10:07 PM

LOST shaped up a lot like I think Heroes is going to shape up -- the first part of the season wasn't very good, but they got back into a groove about a quarter of the season in if I'm remembering the timing right.

hahn 11-03-07 10:37 PM

Heroes...but I didn't really like Season 1 all that much either. I still maintain that the writers for this show are hacks. It's just becoming more obvious this season.

MrX 11-03-07 10:41 PM

Dark Angel

MechanicalMan 11-03-07 11:07 PM

Twin Peaks was the first thing I thought of, but I still loved season 2 for the most part. Season 2 of Heroes has been awful, but I didn't like season 1.

madcougar 11-03-07 11:09 PM

I loved the first season of My Name is Earl, but thought the show lost a lot of it's charm during the second season. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it but I really loved the first season.

HE Pennypacker 11-03-07 11:13 PM

Proceeded by a junior slump a senior slump and so on and so on.

TheKing 11-04-07 01:04 AM

I can't believe Desperate Housewives hasn't been mentioned.

Tracer Bullet 11-04-07 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing

I came in here to post that exact show. :lol:

DH should have been one season, in my opinion.

Goat3001 11-04-07 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing

Yep. That was my first thought. DH went from being great in its first season to being unbearable in its second.

I disagree on Lost. The first season was amazing but I wouldn't call the second season a slump. It was still great TV, just not as good as the first.

I thought Heroes was getting there too but its been better the last few episodes.

gatoinfeliz 11-04-07 01:30 AM

Twin Peaks can't really be mentioned since ABC slaughtered it creatively. If I remember correctly, David Lynch had to seriously compromise and by doing so, the show lost practically all its viewers. I remember reading that he didn't want to reveal the killer at all but ABC forced his hand.

Desperate Housewives hands down. The 3rd season could have been great but Marcia Cross halted any momentum they had going.

Although not really successful, Roswell is another one that comes to mind. I loved the first season but the WB meddled with the creator and he changed the feel of the show from being a sorta drama to a strange science fiction story that for the most part made no sence. The 3rd season that aired on UPN for the most part was awful.

wmansir 11-04-07 04:44 AM

Prison Break. Veronica Mars.

The reason is the same for both shows. They had a solid single season premise which they resolved (VM to a greater degree) and after that it was obvious they were improvising.

After rereading the thread title I have to say I don't think these are the worst slumps, because neither show went strait into the crapper or anything, but they definitely had a sharp decline in quality.

Tscott 11-04-07 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Dark Angel

This.

Snowmaker 11-04-07 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Dark Angel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...net/joshua.jpg

'nuff said!

Patman 11-04-07 07:25 AM

Carnivale
Dead Like Me

madara 11-04-07 08:01 AM

Yeah DA is big one. I have to add X-Files was never same for me starting with season six after that awesome movie. The move and whole Samantha thing were very unsatisfying. Just watched Sopranos 6P2 and after avoiding all hoopla I found the whole season unneeded and that was from a fan that actually like slower character stuff like horse or dream ep etc.

WallyOPD 11-04-07 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Although not really successful, Roswell is another one that comes to mind. I loved the first season but the WB meddled with the creator and he changed the feel of the show from being a sorta drama to a strange science fiction story that for the most part made no sence. The 3rd season that aired on UPN for the most part was awful.

I blind bought the first season when it was on sale for $15 and when I was halfway through watching it I went out and bought the last 2 seasons. What a bait and switch they pulled on me. :(

TGM 11-04-07 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by madara
Yeah DA is big one. I have to add X-Files was never same for me starting with season six after that awesome movie. The move and whole Samantha thing were very unsatisfying. Just watched Sopranos 6P2 and after avoiding all hoopla I found the whole season unneeded and that was from a fan that actually like slower character stuff like horse or dream ep etc.

Sophomore = 6? :) I pity the educational system in WI if that is the case. :) :)

Michael Corvin 11-04-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Sophomore = 6? :) I pity the educational system in WI if that is the case. :) :)

:lol: I was just going to post the same thing.

Sparrow 11-04-07 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I blind bought the first season when it was on sale for $15 and when I was halfway through watching it I went out and bought the last 2 seasons. What a bait and switch they pulled on me. :(

I'm really enjoying Season 1 of Roswell and will use Netflix for Season 2, to see if I have the same sentiments.

For me, Dark Angel is #1, followed very closely by Desperate Housewives. I've not been able to watch another episode of DH since 'getting' through the first few episodes of Season 2. Major letdown for me on both shows.