DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV: Worst.. sophomore.. slump? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516230-tv-worst-sophomore-slump.html)

maingon 11-04-07 09:39 AM

I think Dark Angel Second season started off weak, but the last half I thought was very good, I really liked the second season finale.

I would Say 24, even though I loved season 2 and 3. My problem was they kept repeating themselves every season, Always having a mole in CTU, etc.

starseed1981 11-04-07 10:23 AM

In recent history: Desperate Housewives , Lost

matta 11-04-07 10:57 AM

Veronica Mars.

Doughboy 11-04-07 02:21 PM

Wow, no votes for The O.C.? Aside from the Oliver storyline, Season 1 was outstanding. Season 2 was an absolute mess.

Jimmy James 11-04-07 02:29 PM

I think Desperate Housewives has a stone cold lock on the prize. Good call there.

BTW, I think it's hilarious that somebody in this thread found a way to both crap on the first season of Heroes and then suggest it has had a major slump in its second. Isn't the point here that the first season has to be far and away better than the second?

Cancer Man 11-04-07 04:36 PM

Lost on hindsight had a very good second season in the long run (ditto for the second season of new Doctor Who), I never liked 24 to begin with, Ugly Betty is holding steady but somehow doesn't feel so special as last year, Prison Break had a suprisingly decent second season (it out-24'ed 24), but Heroes seems to be in genuine decline with a rambling but enjoyable first season setting up a excellent premise that has been thrown away on almost complete and utter drivel...

madara 11-04-07 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Sophomore = 6? :) I pity the educational system in WI if that is the case. :) :)

Sorry with my MS and how my brain processing info I dont see words in proper context at times. Your right I didnt understand Sophomore thing ala second season but elite dvdtalkers are always there to make a person feel unintelligent and like crap.
:)

Gizmo 11-04-07 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Although not really successful, Roswell is another one that comes to mind. I loved the first season but the WB meddled with the creator and he changed the feel of the show from being a sorta drama to a strange science fiction story that for the most part made no sence. The 3rd season that aired on UPN for the most part was awful.

I thought Season 2 was much better then Season 1. I preferred the Sci-Fi feel over the romantic angle.

lordwow 11-04-07 04:56 PM

The OC.

chris_sc77 11-04-07 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

I strongly agree. The 2nd season was embarrassing. Ant featured some of the most stupid characters since Jar-jar

Tscott 11-04-07 05:23 PM

I would second the votes for Veronica Mars and Roswell, except I consider both of those as being "junior" slumps. Both second seasons were decent.

btlives 11-04-07 06:53 PM

Joan Or Arcadia really screwed the pouch
in its 2nd and final season.

If any Friday night series had a chance,
the writers f'ed it up big time.

As for Roswell....It made it thru a network
change and it actually was not that bad.

MadonnasManOne 11-04-07 07:25 PM

Desperate Housewives Season 2 as the worst sophomore slump? Granted, it wasn't on par with Season 1, but, I would say that it was still decent. In fact, when the Season 2 DVD set came out, being able to watch it in a much quicker timeframe than is possible on television, it was even better. I think people unfairly judge Season 2. Then, you've got people who have gone as far as to stop watching the show, after Season 2. I think that's crazy, because Season 3 almost reached the greatness of Season 1 (it would have, if Marcia Cross hadn't gone and got herself knocked up ;) ), and I believe Season 4 is amazing, so far.

But, whatever. To each their own.

saoirse 11-04-07 07:47 PM

Obviously YMMV, but.. IMO certainly Twin Peaks, hands down, followed closely by Lost. Heroes is getting there. Any others?

SINNER!

Twin Peaks ruled all the way through.

I would say Heroes though.

7Keys 11-04-07 08:30 PM

Well, I agree that Heroes has stunk it up this season (Season 2).

However, a slump suggests that a show recovered from the decline. Slumps are usually a temporary drop in performance followed by a rebound in quality.

So, I think that should eliminate Heroes and the other shows that have only lasted two years. You can't call it a slump if it hasn't recovered yet.

At least that's how I've always understood the word "slump" to mean...short term decline.

TheKing 11-05-07 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Desperate Housewives Season 2 as the worst sophomore slump? Granted, it wasn't on par with Season 1, but, I would say that it was still decent. In fact, when the Season 2 DVD set came out, being able to watch it in a much quicker timeframe than is possible on television, it was even better. I think people unfairly judge Season 2. Then, you've got people who have gone as far as to stop watching the show, after Season 2. I think that's crazy, because Season 3 almost reached the greatness of Season 1 (it would have, if Marcia Cross hadn't gone and got herself knocked up ;) ), and I believe Season 4 is amazing, so far.

But, whatever. To each their own.

The show went from being the *IT* show to being an also-ran. The grand story arc sucked, the smaller stories were usually dull and/or poorly written. People did stop watching the show, or at least moved it down on their list of appointment viewing. That's why it should be at or near the top of this list.

Now, the good thing is that Marc Cherry has managed to turn things around. Season 3 redeemed the series, not quite Season 1 quality, but good. Season 4 has been even better. There's hope for shows that hit the sophomore slump.

WallyOPD 11-05-07 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I thought Season 2 was much better then Season 1. I preferred the Sci-Fi feel over the romantic angle.

I might have preferred it if it seemed like they actually had any direction or plan for the storyline. I didn't hate Seasons 2 or 3 but the story meandered quite a bit and didn't hold my interest while Season 1 felt very tight.

nateman 11-05-07 11:21 AM

I don’t usually watch “Granny” type shows (with the exception of The Golden Girls) but just so I don’t repeat the Lost “Second Season wasn’t as good” line; I thought the second season of Ghost Whisperer was unbearably bad and I had enough and didn't bother tuning in this season.

superdeluxe 11-05-07 12:08 PM

Obviously YMMV, but.. IMO certainly Twin Peaks, hands down, followed closely by Lost. Heroes is getting there. Any others?

Desperate Housewives 2nd season was horrendus, talk about a comeback in year four.

jpdude 11-10-07 08:41 PM

my vote is with the Housewives, a very Desperate 2nd season.

riley_dude 11-11-07 01:28 PM

DJariya 11-11-07 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I thought the second season of Ghost Whisperer was unbearably bad and I had enough and didn't bother tuning in this season.

I disagree with you there. The 2nd season of GW was just as good IMO as the 1st season. The show went into a different direction and made a few adjustments after replacing Aisha Tyler. Plus they created more multi-episode story arcs as opposed to the single "self contained" episodes. But, it sounds to me that you never really liked the show in the 1st place.

johnnysd 11-12-07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by btlives
Joan Or Arcadia really screwed the pouch
in its 2nd and final season.

If any Friday night series had a chance,
the writers f'ed it up big time.

As for Roswell....It made it thru a network
change and it actually was not that bad.

Kind of agree on Joan, but I really think that they should have given Joan a chance to fix the show. They rode a very fine line in that show, and when it was good it was truly excellent. I would have loved a second season.

I still am pissed Surface never got picked up by Sci-fi, too.

adamblast 11-12-07 03:58 PM

Seaquest DSV

Retooled every season, and made much worse each time.

bboisvert 11-12-07 05:51 PM

In recent memory, The 4400 leaps to mind.

And it's certainly looking like both Heroes and Friday Night Lights are taking a pretty major nosedive in their 2nd years.