TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Light - "Bad Ideas" - 10/12/2007

Old 10-12-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Friday Night Light - "Bad Ideas" - 10/12/2007

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The first day back at Dillon High brings new beginnings and a lot of changes. Tami finds it tough being a teenage mother of a newborn child. Matt Saracen watches his perfect life slip away. His best friend Landry embraces his new lifestyle despite a recent event that changed everything. But the new school year isn't bad at all for Brian “Smash” Williams, who's being lauded by coaches, scouts, and fans.

Here's hoping that the bonehead moves like Tyra and Landry made at the end of last week's episode don't start to prevail.
Old 10-12-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The first day back at Dillon High brings new beginnings and a lot of changes. Tami finds it tough being a teenage mother of a newborn child. Matt Saracen watches his perfect life slip away. His best friend Landry embraces his new lifestyle despite a recent event that changed everything. But the new school year isn't bad at all for Brian “Smash” Williams, who's being lauded by coaches, scouts, and fans.

Here's hoping that the bonehead moves like Tyra and Landry made at the end of last week's episode don't start to prevail.

Spoiler:
Who the hell is Tami?
Old 10-12-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
Mrs. Coach's name is Tami, maybe it is suppose to read the mother of a teenager and the mother of a newborn?
Old 10-12-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I LOL at Saracen's new live-in nurse finding his pr0n stash.

Landry and Tyra take their relationship to another level. Landry had a good moment with the "man up" dissertation.

It's painful to see Buddy lost, his identity was so tied up into being part of the high school football program.

Seems like Julie didn't really take her dad's word to heart, she's bound and determine to feed her Swede need.

Wonder if Matt's QB play will suffer as he is basically heart-broken by Julie breaking up with him.

Tami had some trying moments (Connie Britton's work is really good).

Coach Taylor is seeing the unglamourous side of star college football players with huge egos. Couldn't tell if the TMU head coach was pleased or annoyed with what Eric did at the hearing, and the chewing out of the star player.

Riggins taunted the newly chaste Lila with flagrant PDA, but they had a nice moment after lugging drunk Buddy back to his apartment.
Old 10-13-07, 02:42 AM

You know it's so strange. As I watched the first season I didn't really like most of the Tyra stories, I mean they were fine but they weren't the ones that gripped me. And the season finale had Landry in a comedic situation with the estrogen car. But now I'm totally engrossed with their storyline. And I loved Landry's "be a man" reply. I'm just fascinated to see where this is going.
Old 10-13-07, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay.. I'm going to say it:

I like the Tyra/Landry storyline... 99% of us have not committed murder or killed someone in self defense.. but I think it's safe to say that most of us have done something stupid as teenagers and for some strange reason.. got away with it.... but the aftermath stayed with us for a long, long time.
I think Landry makes Tyra a better person.
I'm just afraid that TPTB are going to over-do the Landry story lines this season and he's going to lose his charm.

The Tami thing: I'm totally believing the overwhelm-ness of what she's dealing with.. and CB is incredible. But, what I have a hard time believing is: that in all of Dillon, the only person she could get to come pick her up was her condescending co-worker?
And are we supposed to believe that the two of them are heading somewhere? Or is he going to be just that: her condescending co-worker.

Eric: Great scenes as usual. It was good to see that pompous ass knocked down a peg or two.

Saracen: Grandma is a hoot. 2,500 bucks for a tiara? Too funny!

Buddy: Yeah, kinda sad that his entire life is wrapped up in Dillon football and it's all slipping away... along w/ his family.

Not the strongest episode, but great acting as usual.

Last edited by Septemberbaby; 10-13-07 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Poor Buddy. He has nothing.

I hope Coach and the Mrs are reunited soon because their work together was the best part of S1. That and the comedic aspects of S1 have been sorely missing so far.
Old 10-13-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm having a hard time getting into the show this season. Most everyone is just damn...unlikeable so far, from Julie, to Riggins, to Lyla, to Buddy, to, sadly, Tami (my favorite character of last season). Only Matt, Eric, Tim, and Tyra have remained likeable and interesting. Yes, it's only two shows in, but even after only two eps. last season, I was in love with the majority of the cast.

Plus, the football action is limited, which is a huge mistake, IMO. Part of the appeal of the show was how well filmed and suspenseful the football scenes were.

And the new subplots? They sort of suck. Tami's reliance on the the co-worker is unbelievable, Matt's grandma's buying binge is cliche, the Landry crime is absurd, Lyla's born-again-ism, and don't even get me started on "the Swede."

I am liking the new coach, however, although it's only a matter of time before he (conveniently) screws up enough to get Taylor back on the Dillon sidelines.

I'll stick with it though. I mean, despite it's flaws, it's still the best thing on TV.
Old 10-13-07, 11:52 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Props for the use of Big Star's "September Gurls" in a scene.

I really love the music choices this show makes; I wish I saw Season 1 as it aired, rather than on DVD, so I could have heard the original songs they used. Anyone have a list of the changes they made for the DVD?
Old 10-13-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Julie. Between falling for the Swede/treating Matt poorly and being a typical teenager, she's just downright annoying. (Loved the preview for next week's show at the end of this one.)

Buddy was pretty annoying I thought last season (and Lyla is right, he made his own bed), but it's kind of hard to see him not have ANYTHING.

The Tyra/Landry thing is a bit over the top. I'll give it a chance to play out, though.

The only thing I'm curious about is how long it'll take Coach Taylor to be head coach of the Panthers again. (Do you think they can wait till after this season is over? How will they make him look good and not like he's just walking out of his other job? Will he be fired so he's "not a quitter" or anything like that?) And I know Tami's getting burned out from all she's going through (PPD or is it just because she's going through it alone?), but I'm getting burned out on the scenes of her despair too. It seems like they're playing that up heavily (a little too heavily for my tastes). It's like, I'm going from very empathetic to just being pissed at seeing it too much.

This show has enough good history to earn the benefit of the doubt when they've got an episode (or two) that is not up-to-par. But they also need to get it in gear quickly too. (Hockey season is upon us and I'm not going to keep taping it and trying to catch up on it if it keeps up some of these less-than-stellar or annoying storylines for too long.)
Old 10-13-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can somebody explain to me how Jason was able to crack Riggins in the head last season? Considering he hasn't been able to make a fist until recently, I'm baffled.
Old 10-13-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts
The question that I most had after last night was why are Mrs. Coach and Julie still living in Dillon? Julie originally didn't want to go to Austin because Dillon felt like home, and she was falling in love with Matt. Now she doesn't want to be trapped in a small town and is tired of Matt. Mrs. Coach didn't want to leave the community where she finally felt at home and was making a difference. Haven't really seen much of that in the first two episodes. Have just seen her really, really missing her husband.

So, why aren't they in Austin again?
Old 10-13-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had had absolutely no problems with this season so far. The team's success last year is a nice counterbalance to the problems pretty much every single character is currently going through.
Old 10-13-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally

The only thing I'm curious about is how long it'll take Coach Taylor to be head coach of the Panthers again. (Do you think they can wait till after this season is over?

I have a feeling he'll be back by/for sweeps.

Last edited by Septemberbaby; 10-13-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-13-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The question that I most had after last night was why are Mrs. Coach and Julie still living in Dillon? Julie originally didn't want to go to Austin because Dillon felt like home, and she was falling in love with Matt. Now she doesn't want to be trapped in a small town and is tired of Matt. Mrs. Coach didn't want to leave the community where she finally felt at home and was making a difference. Haven't really seen much of that in the first two episodes. Have just seen her really, really missing her husband.

So, why aren't they in Austin again?

I've had the same thoughts.
Old 10-13-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only one bothered by the complete lack of Smash?!? His subplots were some of the weaker last season, but to relegate him to the sidelines (pun... intended?!?) is ridiculous.

So far, I've been annoyed by the Julie subplot. She was so cute and cool last season and now she's annoying (but still cute)...

Landry/Tyra - I'm still not bothered by it. I'm on the fence.

Anybody else think the live-in nurse is going to have some romantic attachment to Saracen before too long?!? Or, probably more likely, vice versa.

-ringding-
Old 10-13-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Anybody else think the live-in nurse is going to have some romantic attachment to Saracen before too long?!? Or, probably more likely, vice versa.

-ringding-

Well I don't think they could have made that idea anymore obvious.
Old 10-13-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The nurse just had to be played by the same actress who played Anna on One Tree Hill a couple years ago, too......ugh. At least there is no Felix this time.
Old 10-13-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Yep - that's who that was. I knew I recognized her from somewhere.
Old 10-13-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'oh nice Matt, have you heard of the internet?'
Old 10-13-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Regarding Coach Taylor's possible return to the Panthers:

Spoiler:
Chris Mulkey's character will be fired by episode 4 according to TV Guide a few months ago.
Old 10-13-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts
I hope the new President of NBC Entertainment Ben Silverman likes FNL as much as Kevin Reilly and will be patient with it this season.
Old 10-13-07, 06:36 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i agree with the comment that most of the characters are unlikeable so far this season

Julie is a spoilt cow who needs a good rogering

Matt is pathetic and pussy whipped

Landry and Tyra are killers

Lyla is a bible bashing non ho

not feeling this season so far
Old 10-13-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the title of this episode is an appropriate description of this season so far
Old 10-13-07, 11:24 PM

"Maybe your testicles are just in her panty drawer, Matt"

Say what you will about the Tyra/Landry storyline, but the two actors are acting the hell out of it so far.

I hope that Landry's engraved wristwatch is a red herring and is never mentioned again. If it turns out to be the evidence that reveals Tyra & Landry's involvement when the body is discovered, that would be incredibly stupid and lazy writing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.