Reload this Page >

Friday Night Light - "Bad Ideas" - 10/12/2007

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Light - "Bad Ideas" - 10/12/2007

Old 10-15-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
BTW, the boobie fairie was very good to Julie over the summer. She's her momma's daughter.
LMAO. I noticed that too, but didn't want to say anything. She definitely had some extra "bounce."
Old 10-15-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't notice. I'm all about her mother though...
Old 10-15-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Not good so far, part of me almosts wishes they did cancel this show and Season One would have come and gone and ended perfectly...
I wouldn't go that far, but they need to turn things around ASAP. I'm guessing it will happen when coach returns and/or they add some football.

I can understand why they started the season early (in show time, a couple weeks prior to the first game), because stretching a 10 game season out to 22 episodes was a stretch the first season. Playoffs and a state final helped pad it out, but it would be quite dull and predictable if they made the playoffs/final every year just to pad the show out.
Old 10-15-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm guessing it will happen when coach returns and/or they add some football.
The football scenes were reduced this season to attract more female viewers, so I wouldn't expect more football.

I have mixed feelings about this season as well. My biggest gripe is the pacing. It seems hurried and the dialog is snappy and overly dramatic. The show has lost some of that slow development that allows the viewer to unravel the scene along with the characters. Another missing piece are the moments where we watch the characters in their environment without any dialog.

One of the great aspects of the writing in FNL are the small slices of time where the viewer watches the characters as a voyeur. The camera will be out in the hallway peeking through a partially opened door, while the viewer listens to a private conversation.

I am not sure it is the same show. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as last season.
Old 10-15-07, 02:40 PM

this was mentioned earlier, but to me, what's really missing are the coach/coach's wife scenes. this, to me, was what made the first season stand out so much because the interaction, dialogue, body language, and looks were so real.
Old 10-15-07, 02:49 PM

Why didn't they take the opportunity t ointroduce new characters. I don't count The Swede, but it would have madde it a lot easier to send off upperclassmen if they had some sophomore help. As is, they're writing for a 2 year run and this is simply the victory lap from last year.
Old 10-15-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaDan
Why didn't they take the opportunity t ointroduce new characters. I don't count The Swede, but it would have madde it a lot easier to send off upperclassmen if they had some sophomore help. As is, they're writing for a 2 year run and this is simply the victory lap from last year.
Matt, Julie, and I assume Landry were sophomores last year. They never outright said what Tyra, Lyla, and Riggins were so if they really wanted to fudge it they could pretend they were sophomores. That would be stretching believability though. It was bad enough last year when they had those two adult characters (the banker from LA & Riggins neighbor) hooking up with HS juniors. Plus, wasn't Lyla cheerleading captain? That's not usually a position bestoyed on a sophomore.
Old 10-15-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Yeah, i don't think they can pull another year out of Riggins, Lyla, and Tyra, and Smash was already confirmed as a junior last year.

Of course, realistically would they hire a guy as an assistant coach who had just dropped out of school as a senior and had no previous coaching experience, not to mention conflicts of interest with his friends on the team? I guess it's better than having cameos of Riggins working the drive through after graduation, though.
Old 10-15-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, i don't think they can pull another year out of Riggins, Lyla, and Tyra, and Smash was already confirmed as a junior last year.

Of course, realistically would they hire a guy as an assistant coach who had just dropped out of school as a senior and had no previous coaching experience, not to mention conflicts of interest with his friends on the team? I guess it's better than having cameos of Riggins working the drive through after graduation, though.
In addition to that, they didn't have enough money in the football budget to hire an additional coach earlier in the season when the ex-Panther came to town for homecoming. What changed?

Honestly, I thought the Street storyline was the weakest last year. Between his getting paralyzed in the first game and being a coach by the end of the year. HS football seasons just aren't that long, and he had a whole other arc in the middle. His rehab went pretty quickly too. It seems that they didn't really have a season long plan for his character. They adapted well for some of the others, but Street seemed forced.

Of the 3 unspecified characters I think Tyra is the most likely for them to pull off another year if necessary. Her relationship with Landry would help that.
Old 10-15-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Of course, realistically would they hire a guy as an assistant coach who had just dropped out of school as a senior and had no previous coaching experience, not to mention conflicts of interest with his friends on the team?
Well he did throw them a bone and basically toss out the lawsuit. Giving him a minimum wage job coaching for the team was the least they could do.

Has there ever been a show where the school remained the constant while the students came and went? The norm is to follow the students past graduation to college or other endeavors. Easier to stick with characters people love than trying to develop new ones. The only show I can think of is Head of the Class. The school and teacher remained the constant and students actually graduated and new ones were ushered in.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-15-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 07:35 PM

Well he did throw them a bone and basically toss out the lawsuit. Giving him a minimum wage job coaching for the team was the least they could do.

Has there ever been a show where the school remained the constant while the students came and went? The norm is to follow the students past graduation to college or other endeavors. Easier to stick with characters people love than trying to develop new ones. The only show I can think of is Head of the Class. The school and teacher remained the constant and students actually graduated and new ones were ushered in.
boston public could have been that kind of show. unfortunately, it didn't last long enough.
Old 10-16-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
(Hockey season is upon us and I'm not going to keep taping it and trying to catch up on it if it keeps up some of these less-than-stellar or annoying storylines for too long.)
Somebody still watches hockey? Alert the media!
Old 10-16-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

But the show is called Friday Night Lights... it's about high school football (though I think UH played last friday).
Old 10-17-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But the show is called Friday Night Lights... it's about high school football (though I think UH played last friday).
If this were a show about high school football it would be an extremely boring documentary (IMO). FNL is a show about a small Texas town, whose lives revolve around high school football. They don't have to show any football at all, its just the glue that brings them together. Landry & Tyra have little connection to football other than having friends that are connected to football.
Old 10-17-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
Landry & Tyra have little connection to football other than having friends that are connected to football.
Well, and Landry being on the football team. That's a pretty close connection.
Old 10-17-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
And a forced one at that.
Old 10-17-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From this week's AA column:

Question: Should we be worried about Friday Night Lights' second-week ratings drop-off?— Tim
Ausiello: Depends. If you like the show in its current Friday time slot, then yes, you should probably be worried. If you'd prefer it air, oh, say, Mondays at 10 pm after Heroes, then you should be thrilled. You see, according to card-carrying Aushole Lauren, the Peacock recently sent out a reader survey and one of the questions was, "Would you be more likely to watch Friday Night Lights if it followed Heroes on Monday?" Hmmm….
Old 10-17-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From this week's AA column:

Question: Should we be worried about Friday Night Lights' second-week ratings drop-off?— Tim
Ausiello: Depends. If you like the show in its current Friday time slot, then yes, you should probably be worried. If you'd prefer it air, oh, say, Mondays at 10 pm after Heroes, then you should be thrilled. You see, according to card-carrying Aushole Lauren, the Peacock recently sent out a reader survey and one of the questions was, "Would you be more likely to watch Friday Night Lights if it followed Heroes on Monday?" Hmmm….

It kinda seems to me that a large part of the FNL fanbase are actually playing football on Friday nights! It seemed odd to me to place it in that timeslot.
Old 10-17-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the explanation for the 22 episodes in the first season would be?
Old 10-17-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She was a hot chick out of his league that he idolized who he ends up killing a guy for before nailing her. Who amongst us hasn't been there?
Old 10-17-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
It kinda seems to me that a large part of the FNL fanbase are actually playing football on Friday nights! It seemed odd to me to place it in that timeslot.
Is it any more odd than say, placing FNL on Monday where a large part of their fanbase is watching MNF?
Old 10-17-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9
I think the Friday timeslot isn't really that bad. FNL at its core is a perfect family type program. I just think a lot of viewers haven't been able to look past the football angle and haven't given it a fair shot because of that.
Old 10-17-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really, if you go by the "football fans will watch it" reasoning, Monday isn't that good either, with the NFL game that night and all. I don't think Friday is that bad, and I actually kind of like it there. Gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week when there is nothing else on.
Old 10-17-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not a bad timeslot and I don't really get the criticism of putting it on when friday night games are. The season started in october, and there are probably 4 episodes max that air against friday night football games. And besides, I wouldn't really say that those people are the primary audience anyway.