Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Light - "Bad Ideas" - 10/12/2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this show is still firing on all cylinders for me. it took me episode one to get back into it, but this week was top notch.

way to go Landry!!

poor Glen...I didn't think he ever came across as condescending, he just doesn't know how to talk to an emotional mother.

"24"s Aaron is perfect as Landry's dad!! haha
Old 10-14-07, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
Regarding Coach Taylor's possible return to the Panthers:

Spoiler:
Chris Mulkey's character will be fired by episode 4 according to TV Guide a few months ago.
I just hope they don't contrive something to get him back. It should just boil down to the hard decision - stick with the better career path or return home to the family.
Old 10-14-07, 10:40 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Good episode.

Nice work again by Connie Britton this episode..
Old 10-14-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
but I think it's safe to say that most of us have done something stupid as teenagers and for some strange reason.. got away with it.... but the aftermath stayed with us for a long, long time.

Never thought about it in those terms, but that is so true.
Old 10-14-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get all of the hate for the Landry storyline. While it wasn't the wisest choice for his character, it is not like he was trapped by a cougar.

So what happened to Jason's freaky girlfriend? Are the still together, or did she just go back home to her hometown?
Old 10-14-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually, I'm really happy with the Landry storyline. It's very "fairy tale" that the token dork gets laid like that. Good for him.

I'm iffy on the Julie storyline though, but it's VERY grounded in reality though and true to many real life situations teenage girls go through I'm sure.
Old 10-14-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm iffy on the Julie storyline though, but it's VERY grounded in reality though and true to many real life situations teenage girls go through I'm sure.
you're a teenage girl? or you can imagine what it'd be like to be a teenage girl??
Old 10-14-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm having a hard time getting into the show this season. Most everyone is just damn...unlikeable so far, from Julie, to Riggins, to Lyla, to Buddy, to, sadly, Tami (my favorite character of last season). Only Matt, Eric, Tim, and Tyra have remained likeable and interesting. Yes, it's only two shows in, but even after only two eps. last season, I was in love with the majority of the cast.

Plus, the football action is limited, which is a huge mistake, IMO. Part of the appeal of the show was how well filmed and suspenseful the football scenes were.

And the new subplots? They sort of suck. Tami's reliance on the the co-worker is unbelievable, Matt's grandma's buying binge is cliche, the Landry crime is absurd, Lyla's born-again-ism, and don't even get me started on "the Swede."

I am liking the new coach, however, although it's only a matter of time before he (conveniently) screws up enough to get Taylor back on the Dillon sidelines.

I'll stick with it though. I mean, despite it's flaws, it's still the best thing on TV.
I agree with everything you've said. In an effort to woo viewers they have shaken up too many characters. Everyone we grew to like and got comfortable with last season is in some terrible "soap-opera" situation right off the bat. Some believable (Tami's depression) and others absolutely absurd (Landry/Tyra's I Know What You Did Last Summer body dump).

But even in the absurd the actor's are nailing it. The "man-up" scene between Landry and Tyra was phenomenal, one of the best on the show. Those actors were firing on all cylindars. Connie Britton was also amazing this episode.

Am I the only one that feels a bit cheated by this season? Last year it was set up that Street and Riggin's were best friends from when they were kids. It appeared they grew up on opposite sides of town. Street was a senior, and now Riggin's wasn't? So how is it they could be so great of friends seperated by miles and a grade? It just doesn't seem very plausible anymore. It also makes last seasons fling between Riggin's and his neighbor even more absurd and actually cheapens it a bit since he would have been a junior.

It felt like Street, Riggin's, Lyla and Tyra(what happened to all that college prep?) were set up as seniors last year, but come this season they are all still around. I think the only one they explicitly stated a grade on was Street, so it seems they fudged things to keep them all around instead of bringing in fresh characters and storylines. I was looking forward to a show finally graduating kids and cycling in new students, you know, like life. It just seems they fell into the typical hollywood cliche.

It is nice seeing Street coach, but it would have been cooler/realistic to see him move on and get the hell out of town. And Lyla? After two episodes it appears that she is quickly becoming the next Lana Lang. I do like Landry and Tyra pairing, they seem to be good for each other, her dropping her tough girl exterior and him dropping a bit of the dork inside.

All gripes aside it's still great, but where's the football? We've seen Riggin's run the bleachers that's about it. Kinda weak.
Old 10-14-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm having a hard time getting into the show this season. Most everyone is just damn...unlikeable so far, from Julie, to Riggins, to Lyla, to Buddy, to, sadly, Tami (my favorite character of last season). Only Matt, Eric, Tim, and Tyra have remained likeable and interesting. Yes, it's only two shows in, but even after only two eps. last season, I was in love with the majority of the cast.

Plus, the football action is limited, which is a huge mistake, IMO. Part of the appeal of the show was how well filmed and suspenseful the football scenes were.

And the new subplots? They sort of suck. Tami's reliance on the the co-worker is unbelievable, Matt's grandma's buying binge is cliche, the Landry crime is absurd, Lyla's born-again-ism, and don't even get me started on "the Swede."

I am liking the new coach, however, although it's only a matter of time before he (conveniently) screws up enough to get Taylor back on the Dillon sidelines.

I'll stick with it though. I mean, despite it's flaws, it's still the best thing on TV.

I couldn't have said it better. I like these characters too much to give up on the show, and the writing is still good, but the changes are disheartening. Also, where's the football? And what happened to Smash? Most of the storylines play like extras you would see on the DVD release - subplots that were wisely deleted. I just hope that this is just early season attention grabbing bluster, and that the show gets back to what I fell in love with - real storylines, understated acting and solid drama.
Old 10-14-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't remember exactly when the first football game of the season is.. but if it's after school starts, then it explains why we haven't seen a game yet, the first day of school was in the second episode.
I also read an article that said that the plan is not to have as much football as last season.. they're going to concentrate on the characters. I think the games are very expensive to shoot.
Old 10-14-07, 05:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I also read an article that said that the plan is not to have as much football as last season.. they're going to concentrate on the characters. I think the games are very expensive to shoot.
Could be, but I also think it's a conscious effort to focus less on football and more on the characters because viewers chose not to watch a 'show about football'.
Old 10-14-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I don't think the show was ever much about football on the playing field. Frankly, I thought most of the football game action in S1 was contrived.
Old 10-14-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't think the show was ever much about football on the playing field. Frankly, I thought most of the football game action in S1 was contrived.

You mean it's not possible to win 5 or so games on the last play of the game?
Old 10-14-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber
You mean it's not possible to win 5 or so games on the last play of the game?
Not to mention by trick plays you don't even see in college or pro. Just because it wasn't realistic didn't make it any less exciting.
Old 10-14-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
The nurse just had to be played by the same actress who played Anna on One Tree Hill a couple years ago, too......ugh. At least there is no Felix this time.
That's where I recognized her from!
Old 10-14-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not to mention by trick plays you don't even see in college or pro. Just because it wasn't realistic didn't make it any less exciting.
Last second field goals just aren't as dramatic as triple reverse options and fumblerooskies.
Old 10-15-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I loved 75% of the teams killing Dillion with reverses last year...
Old 10-15-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
Julie originally didn't want to go to Austin because Dillon felt like home, and she was falling in love with Matt. Now she doesn't want to be trapped in a small town and is tired of Matt.
Welcome to the ever changing mind of a teenage girl going through puberty! You think she was really going to make life choices at 15 and stick to them? Come on. Everything Julie is doing is MUCH more realistic behavior than you'd normally see on television (albeit somewhat annoying to watch as a viewer!).

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Mrs. Coach didn't want to leave the community where she finally felt at home and was making a difference.
Right, that made sense BEFORE the baby. Now the baby is essentially her whole world. Without Eric or Julie helping her, she is basically tethered to the house. Did you not see how desperately she wanted to talk about the students when the science teacher showed up with the case files?

Kudos to casting! Casting Glenn Morshower (Aaron Pierce on 24) as Landry's cop father is perfect!

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-15-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW, the boobie fairie was very good to Julie over the summer. She's her momma's daughter.
Old 10-15-07, 10:15 AM

Am I the only one that feels a bit cheated by this season? Last year it was set up that Street and Riggin's were best friends from when they were kids. It appeared they grew up on opposite sides of town. Street was a senior, and now Riggin's wasn't? So how is it they could be so great of friends seperated by miles and a grade? It just doesn't seem very plausible anymore. It also makes last seasons fling between Riggin's and his neighbor even more absurd and actually cheapens it a bit since he would have been a junior.

It felt like Street, Riggin's, Lyla and Tyra(what happened to all that college prep?) were set up as seniors last year, but come this season they are all still around. I think the only one they explicitly stated a grade on was Street, so it seems they fudged things to keep them all around instead of bringing in fresh characters and storylines. I was looking forward to a show finally graduating kids and cycling in new students, you know, like life. It just seems they fell into the typical hollywood cliche.
i agree. i was under the assumption last season that riggins, street, and lyla were all seniors. i was surprised that they all came back to school except for street.

and i'm not so disappointed by the fact that there haven't been any football games because the school year did just start. so i'd expect the first game to be next week or so. and personally, i enjoyed the off the field drama to the on-field action.
Old 10-15-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention by trick plays you don't even see in college or pro.
"Don't even see"? Of course you wouldn't. By the time your in the pros, you can't be pulling risky seat-of-your-pants crap that might work in high school ball. There are never trick plays because everyone is a pro - well except maybe that time the Fridge played QB in the Superbowl...
Old 10-15-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did anyone else catch the cross-promotion of Phenomenon?

When Julie is walking past the pool up to the Swede his girlfriend is wearing a lime green towel around her waste, they cut to Julie, cut back and the towel is gone. Cut to Julie again and cut back and the towel has magically reappeared! Top that Criss Angel!

Okay, not really promotion, but still funny a funny continuity error considering all the promos for Phenomenon.
Old 10-15-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Yeah, I think by changing things so much, they took away the initial motivation for the split family in the first place. They're obviously trying to set it up so that Coach comes back to fix his family, but everyone has to be wondering why he just doesn't bring them up there. Of course, this would totally ruin the series, but still. I think the main reason I find this season lacking is because Coach isn't there with the team... that was my favorite part of the first season, him interacting with his family and with the team, and I can't wait until they get back to that... Even in the midst of the drama, there were some feel good stories, and I feel like this season so far, every storyline is about drama.

Seems like Saracen is getting pretty jealous of Smash. First they set it up so in practice the new coach is praising Smash after that toss, and you see Street try to lift his spirits a little. Then Saracen mentions that it doesn't matter that Julie wasn't there at the party earlier, because it's the Smash show anyway.

I liked the preview too! Can't wait for episode three... that DVD set of season one spoiled me too much.
Old 10-15-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, not really promotion, but still funny a funny continuity error considering all the promos for Phenomenon.
I get a kick out of spotting the continuity gaffes in FNL. There were a few in season one. My favorite: Taylor's sunglasses appearing atop his hat, then around his neck, then atop his hat, then around his neck, during the rally just before he introduces his players as cheerleaders.
Old 10-15-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Not good so far, part of me almosts wishes they did cancel this show and Season One would have come and gone and ended perfectly and Julie and Saracen go off into the sunset and Landry and Tyra have a little something going etc...

I really don't like where they are going with this season

But I do love the show and will see it to the bitter end, I hope they turn it around soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.