Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office - "Lanch Party" (10/11/07)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nazgul
When Jim signed Meredith's cast, my wife swears he signed it as "John Krasinski".
Funny you say that, I could've sworn that Andy called Dwight "Crazy Rainn" at one point...
Old 10-12-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anybody catch the Binary for what Dwight called the /sys?

I was going to write it down and check, but I was watching from bed.
Old 10-12-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So was Dwight growing a beard to be more like Ryan or was he growing a bread because he was "depressed" over his breakup.

your answer is in this deleted scene. Great scene between Dwight and Jim

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/#mea=166090
Old 10-12-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
The best line of the night for me was 13 out of the last 12 months.
Old 10-12-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't think the pizza guy thing was a lake moment. In fact, it reinforced for me what I found so disturbing about the lake. Michael is not a psychopath, except perhaps to the extent his comedy requires it. Some were arguing last week that Michael purposely drove into the lake to make a point, thus endangering the lives of himself, Dwight, and the camera guy. I think that's out of character, and the moment in this episode where Dwight was threatening the kid with harm being the moment where Michael snapped back into reality underscores to me that he's not that psychopath.

I thought the hostage thing was pretty much in character for Michael, though. The kid committed a sin against sales, and he was giving the kid a time out as punishment. Michael takes sales very seriously.
I think it's when Michael asked Dwight where Jim was, and Dwight responded that he grabbed some pizza and left so that he wouldn't get caught by the cops due to the kidnapping, was when it really sunk in with Michael.

I agree with you a little bit about the sales part, but I also think it's because Michael is cheap. Notice later when Dwight asks if he's going to be compensated in paying for the pizza. Dwight walks away and says "not now".

But you put an interesting spin on it with the sales thing.

Seems like most people do not like the hour long episodes, but quite frankly I love 'em. To me, it's just MORE Office. Even when it starts trailing off a bit, it's still a really good show.

The kidnapping incident wasn't that bad, imo, plus it gave Andy a chance to start courting Angela "booster seat"....haha.

I liked almost everything about this episode, with the exception of the Ryan subplot. I know it's going to be an important part of this season's story line, but he brings a "meh" feel to the show, imo. ('Cept when Kelly is angry at him or trying to get him back.)

On another note, from last week's episode: Karen Filipelli (sp?) tried to go out with him? You think he made that up? Or was that Karen's desperate attempt to latch on to someone else once Jim dumper her?
Old 10-12-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit

On another note, from last week's episode: Karen Filipelli (sp?) tried to go out with him? You think he made that up? Or was that Karen's desperate attempt to latch on to someone else once Jim dumper her?

He made it up because HE sent Karen an email and she shot him down.
Old 10-12-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Huh? It WAS his acappela group.

ha ha, seriously! i'm often amazed at some of the comments about epsidoes/scenes on this board. I could watch that scene 3 million times and NEVER think it was the people in the office backing him up.
Old 10-12-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
He made it up because HE sent Karen an email and she shot him down.
Ahh, ok.

I guess I totally forgot about that, or it just never registered when I watched that episode.

So Ryan is 0-for-2 and, assuming Karen was dating Jim at the time, he's 0-for-2 because of Jim.
Old 10-12-07, 12:18 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
The show never ran into competely contrived plotlines like the pizza boy hostage. And the main office romance never got boring like Jim and Pam have already become.
I agree with the first, but kind of disagree with the second. I'm not disagreeing that the romance is a bit boring, but I actually *like* that it's boring. It seems more realistic to me than the usual tv comedy relationships where people are either constantly in fights or they are involved in 'big' storylines like having a baby or planning a wedding.
Old 10-12-07, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DRG
I agree with the first, but kind of disagree with the second. I'm not disagreeing that the romance is a bit boring, but I actually *like* that it's boring. It seems more realistic to me than the usual tv comedy relationships where people are either constantly in fights or they are involved in 'big' storylines like having a baby or planning a wedding.
Exactly, and it allowed Michael to have that little run where Pam and Jim are saying goodbye and he's making up what they're saying to each other.
Old 10-12-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
The best line of the night for me was 13 out of the last 12 months.
something like, "That's right you heard me: they gave me two awards in February in lieu of a pay raise."
Old 10-12-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't think the pizza guy thing was a lake moment. In fact, it reinforced for me what I found so disturbing about the lake. Michael is not a psychopath, except perhaps to the extent his comedy requires it. Some were arguing last week that Michael purposely drove into the lake to make a point, thus endangering the lives of himself, Dwight, and the camera guy. I think that's out of character, and the moment in this episode where Dwight was threatening the kid with harm being the moment where Michael snapped back into reality underscores to me that he's not that psychopath.

I thought the hostage thing was pretty much in character for Michael, though. The kid committed a sin against sales, and he was giving the kid a time out as punishment. Michael takes sales very seriously.
You are assuming Michael thought driving into the lake is actually endangering anyone. He basically was driving into the water on a ramp into a shallow lake. It's not like he was driving off a bridge or something. Michael is very calm while "escaping" the car which leads me to believe he did this on purpose. It was only after Dwight mentioned the insurance that he realized what he did.

In regards to this weeks episode, I thought the first half was gold (especially the DVD screen saver). The second half had a few funny moments but it wasn't very strong. I kinda wish we could go back to just the normal antics of an office. Take a break from the corporate angle as well as the outside the office things.
Old 10-12-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the first ep was good, second was brutal and this was the best so far this year...but I think an hour is just too much, thank god there is only 1 more 60min ep until it goes back to half hour.
Old 10-12-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DRG
I completely agree. Their little rooftop scene (a sequel to the "first date" from Season 2) was one of the episode's best moments. I think the writers are handling Jim & Pam's relationship perfectly.
Old 10-12-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Mods: you should change the title of this thread to "Lunch Party"
Lanch Party
Old 10-12-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by musick
Lanch Party
Is it wrong that I too immediately thought "just change the "u" to an "a" when I saw the banner?
Old 10-12-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Is it wrong that I too immediately thought "just change the "u" to an "a" when I saw the banner?
It's not wrong but you might want to invest in this:

Old 10-12-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
What are you talking about? It was his acapella group. All the people from the office were just standing there watching him.
Here Comes Treble.
Old 10-12-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Michael's too-tight "hip" shirt was a funny sight gag.
Old 10-12-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I thought the bit between Angela and Phyllis was the funniest part of the show, especially since Phyllis was deliberately yanking her chain.

FWIW, I attended a "Dealing with difficult people" seminar several years ago and some of the advice was to try and knock the wind out of their sails with polite and courteous responses.
Old 10-12-07, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Michael's too-tight "hip" shirt was a funny sight gag.
I loved that he had Oscar in there with the women to help judge the shirt, then Oscar's annoyance once he realized why he was in the room.
Old 10-12-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I completely agree. Their little rooftop scene (a sequel to the "first date" from Season 2) was one of the episode's best moments. I think the writers are handling Jim & Pam's relationship perfectly.
Another nod for that! No problem with the relationship at all. Well, maybe a little envious of Jim, but that's about it.

And, yeah, the screensaver was a great bit. Very well done, on all accounts. Same with Phyllis handling Angela.
Old 10-12-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else think Angela gets hotter when she gets pissier? No? Just me, then?

re: the "Take a Chance On Me" scene - maybe Snowlarbear was relying on the unforgivably incompetent Closed Captioning for this episode - it identified the a cappella singers as Dwight and Michael! Dwight's line "Cooper's* has calamari" was captioned as "Cooper says calamari" - and so on.

*Cooper's Seafood House Restaurant and Pub - Scranton's Finest!

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 10-12-07 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-12-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
Anyone else think Angela gets hotter when she gets pissier? No? Just me, then?
I did mention that she was particularly hot this episode. I just didn't give any reason for it...
Old 10-12-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
You are assuming Michael thought driving into the lake is actually endangering anyone. He basically was driving into the water on a ramp into a shallow lake. It's not like he was driving off a bridge or something. Michael is very calm while "escaping" the car which leads me to believe he did this on purpose. It was only after Dwight mentioned the insurance that he realized what he did.
Actually, I think you may have won me over with this description. I think it was still bad comedy/storytelling because it was so difficult to tell what angle they were playing, but it does make a certain amount of sense for that to be some sort of ramp into the lake/dock sort of thing. That might be a reason for a road to lead right up to the lake like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.