Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office - "Lanch Party" (10/11/07)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office - "Lanch Party" (10/11/07)

Old 10-11-07, 09:40 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
This is the first of the hour long episodes that really packed an hour's worth of punch, and it's no coincidence that it featured two good subjects -- Dwight versus the computer and the launch party. I can only hope next week's episode is as good.
I agree.

Line of the night: "I have just become self-aware." - DunMiff/sys
Old 10-11-07, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
That was horrible.

I can't wait until they go back to normal episodes. These hour episodes are for the birds.
This episode was clearly split in half for syndication. Blaming this format for weak episodes seems pretty silly when the hour episodes are essentially back-to-back half-hour episodes.
Old 10-11-07, 09:46 PM

I was enjoying it until Michael kidnapped the pizza guy
Old 10-11-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
This episode was clearly split in half for syndication. Blaming this format for weak episodes seems pretty silly when the hour episodes are essentially back-to-back half-hour episodes.
By the same token, the producers installing a break midway for syndication purposes does not excuse them for giving us weak sauce like they did the first two weeks of hourlong episodes.
Old 10-11-07, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good as always!

[internets]Boo! Jump the shark![/internets]
Old 10-11-07, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
By the same token, the producers installing a break midway for syndication purposes does not excuse them for giving us weak sauce like they did the first two weeks of hourlong episodes.
I don't agree that this episode was strong throughout. I enjoyed the first half significantly more than the second half.
Old 10-11-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MadMark
I was enjoying it until Michael kidnapped the pizza guy
agree
Old 10-11-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't agree that this episode was strong throughout. I enjoyed the first half significantly more than the second half.
While I disagree with you, it seems to me you are essentially supporting the premise I'm getting at based on your opinion of the content.

I really don't care if they show us a half hour or two hours at a time. I think two of the 3 episodes so far have been weak. That's what matters, not the format. I think that was your point, so it works nicely with mine as luck would have it.
Old 10-11-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was a pretty solid episode. I especially liked Andy's serenade and the cast signing.
Old 10-11-07, 10:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This week's episode drove into the lake when Michael took the pizza kid hostage.
Old 10-11-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really thought the hour long format wouldn't work on a regular basis....
I was wrong
3 for 3 so far this season

glad to have the old office I know and love back
Old 10-11-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
This week's episode drove into the lake when Michael took the pizza kid hostage.
Digg
Old 10-11-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
agreed

[DunMiff/sys]Future Dwigt has nothing on me.[/DunMiff/sys]
Old 10-11-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts
So was Dwight growing a beard to be more like Ryan or was he growing a bread because he was "depressed" over his breakup.

And did I miss something or weren't Dwight and Andy mortal enemies?

My Toshiba DVD player has the triangles screensaver and I do the same thing...watch for it to directly hit the corner.
Old 10-11-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was an OK episode, but dragged on a little too much.
Old 10-11-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the pizza guy thing was a lake moment. In fact, it reinforced for me what I found so disturbing about the lake. Michael is not a psychopath, except perhaps to the extent his comedy requires it. Some were arguing last week that Michael purposely drove into the lake to make a point, thus endangering the lives of himself, Dwight, and the camera guy. I think that's out of character, and the moment in this episode where Dwight was threatening the kid with harm being the moment where Michael snapped back into reality underscores to me that he's not that psychopath.

I thought the hostage thing was pretty much in character for Michael, though. The kid committed a sin against sales, and he was giving the kid a time out as punishment. Michael takes sales very seriously.
Old 10-11-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
And did I miss something or weren't Dwight and Andy mortal enemies?
I'm thinking Future Dwight must've told Dwight to unshun Andy...
Old 10-11-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meh, I thought this was the least funny episode of the series so far. Hardly a laugh for me. The "sentient website" thing had a few laughs initially, but ran out of steam. And more WTH moments with Michael. Not losing his job after telling his boss off on a company-wide webcast (not to mention kidnapping the pizza guy, and the laundry list of other crazy things he typically does) really strains credibility.

The hour long eps just didn't cut it in my opinion - far too much dead space. Hopefully, the show improves after going back to the half hour format.
Old 10-12-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
Awesome episode. I laughed at a ton of stuff tonight. Angela was on fire.

They are really nailing it this season. I love the hour long format and the way they've mixed up the dynamics yet again. Finally getting past the tired-ass "will they or won't they?" stuff made Jim and Pam interesting again. Dwight's current torment, Ryan's extreme assholish-ness, the great stuff the supporting cast is getting to do. It's all great.

The sentient website was by far the best part. I love it when Pam joins in on the fun. And as soon as Andy put the second phone on hold, I knew what he was going to do. I was cringing and laughing at the same time. Just awesome, awesome stuff.
Old 10-12-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Okay then, the first episode was mediocre at best, and the second episode was one of the worst in the entire series.

How's that?
Old 10-12-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Great episode, but am not really feeling the hour long episodes.
Angela
Old 10-12-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I wonder if Dwight vs the website will be like John Henry vs the steam hammer. If Dwight collapses at the end of the day I will be in stitches!
You called it. Too bad the episode couldn't end there with Dwight unresponsive at his desk.
Old 10-12-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did find Pam's "mercy message" from the computer conceding defeat to Dwight a little endearing.
Old 10-12-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Not losing his job after telling his boss off on a company-wide webcast (not to mention kidnapping the pizza guy, and the laundry list of other crazy things he typically does) really strains credibility.
Yeah, since that's the first time he has done something that would have cost him his job in the real world.
Old 10-12-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Everytime I see Ryan sitting at his new desk and hear him talk, I think of some kid sitting at his daddy's desk at his daddy's office.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.