Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Tivo HD - Anyone getting one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
right, on TiVo.com, it should tell you whether or not transfers are allowed for your TiVo account. If your current TiVo says "transfers allowed" next to it, you can switch to a new service number and keep the same rate.
Actually, I think that "transfers allowed" applies to whether you can transfer media between your computer and your TiVo.

For example, my account states:
Series 1: N/A
Series 2: Transfers ALLOWED
Series 3: Not currently available
Old 08-14-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
Actually, I think that "transfers allowed" applies to whether you can transfer media between your computer and your TiVo.

For example, my account states:
Series 1: N/A
Series 2: Transfers ALLOWED
Series 3: Not currently available
That's correct.
Old 08-14-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
oh, there you go. i had that wrong. thanks for clarifying!

I always thought it indicated that account could be transferred (i've only had Series 2s).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-14-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 01:06 PM

so i bought one yesterday (was waiting for a Best Buy reward zone weekend so I could get 12% off). Stopped by my local Comcast office and picked up a multi-stream cablecard.

it's all set up this morning, but it took a while. The CableCard was not set to receive all the channels, so I talked to about 5 CSRs who all just "hit" the card. I finally was able to talk to a supervisor, who finally talked with someone who knew something about cablecards. They re-initialized the card (instead of just "hitting" it), and i then got all my channels. The CSRs all said they were doing all that could be done, then the supervisor told me CSRs do not have the access to initialize a card. I wish companies would get on the same page or train their employees better.

so for those of you out there that may have the same problem with Comcast, tell them to initialize the card, or send a "cold hit". I got that information from the TivoCommunity forum thread on comcast cablecards (just search google for it - i lost the link).

HD looks great, and combine that with the TiVo interface, and it's amazing.
Old 09-02-07, 01:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
you can't get ondemand so no
Old 09-02-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
so i bought one yesterday (was waiting for a Best Buy reward zone weekend so I could get 12% off). Stopped by my local Comcast office and picked up a multi-stream cablecard.

it's all set up this morning, but it took a while. The CableCard was not set to receive all the channels, so I talked to about 5 CSRs who all just "hit" the card. I finally was able to talk to a supervisor, who finally talked with someone who knew something about cablecards. They re-initialized the card (instead of just "hitting" it), and i then got all my channels. The CSRs all said they were doing all that could be done, then the supervisor told me CSRs do not have the access to initialize a card. I wish companies would get on the same page or train their employees better.

so for those of you out there that may have the same problem with Comcast, tell them to initialize the card, or send a "cold hit". I got that information from the TivoCommunity forum thread on comcast cablecards (just search google for it - i lost the link).

HD looks great, and combine that with the TiVo interface, and it's amazing.
Wait, they let you get 12% off? I thought those coupons excluded Tivo products?!

Also, I was under the impression that it was a requirement to have cable companies come out and have somebody put the car in for you and that pickup/self install was not an option.

Regardless, glad everything is setup and working.
Old 09-02-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am now waiting impatiently for external storage.
Old 09-02-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Also, I was under the impression that it was a requirement to have cable companies come out and have somebody put the car in for you and that pickup/self install was not an option.

Regardless, glad everything is setup and working.
Yep. Insight wouldn't drop them off. I had to schedule 3 different installs to get two working cards. Apparently they don't keep a bunch on the trucks. If they have one scheduled for the day, they pack one. So it took about two weeks and three installs to get two working cards.

Out of those three trips and three different installers, zero knew how to install them.
Old 09-02-07, 10:08 PM

YMMV on picking up CableCards, depending on your cable company and area. It certainly varies with Comcast. In Nashville, TN. you can just go to a local office and pick one up, which is exactly what I did.

As for the 12% off, i believe those used to exclude TiVo products, but they weren't specifically mentioned on the coupons i got in the mail for the labor day weekend. So it worked for me.

And as for on demand - never use it, so it's no loss to me. I'd rather have the TiVo interface and features than on demand.

And in reading the thread i mentioned before:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316310

it's becoming more obvious that the the cards themselves are not the problems, but the setup on the headend is wrong. granted, there may be a few cards that are just busted, but most of the cards work once things are figured out on the comcast side.

And michael corvin, that was the most infuriating part of the whole ordeal. Comcast CSRs would say they'd done all they could, and would have to send a tech to my house. I simply said, "Why? So they can read you numbers that i'm perfectly capable of doing right now?" I guarantee i had more knowledge about the process than anyone they sent would have. Thank goodness i avoided that.
Old 09-04-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am going to cave in the next few weeks.
Old 09-04-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
I am going to cave in the next few weeks.
Do it. It's an nice unit. I watch so much more HD stuff now.
Old 09-04-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know it just sits on the shelf, but the Tivo HD looks so much worse than the Tivo Series 3. I know it shouldn't matter, but it seems like waiting for the price to fall further would be worth it to have the better looking set.

However, if I know S3 and HD would be compatiable down the road for MRV, then it would be easy to pick one up knowning it would become a second room device sooner than later.
Old 09-04-07, 01:10 PM

i don't think the HD box looks bad at all. Granted, the S3 has the display of what show is being recorded, but that's not that big a deal to me. I think the TiVo HD has a nice sleek look. i don't know if you've seen one in person, but it definitely looks MUCH better in person than it does online.

Not to mention the fact that the cablecared slots are on the front (don't worry, hidden from view), rather than the back like on the series 3. That makes setup much easier.
Old 09-04-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do it. It's an nice unit. I watch so much more HD stuff now.
It will be very convenient considering we have a three-year-old.

And I just got a CC offer w/ no interest on purchases for the next year.
Old 09-04-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two S2 models right now, at $20 combined per month service.
If I got one of these to replace one of my S2 would the service charge go up?

If only they had eSATA working it would be a lot more compelling.
Old 09-04-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by porieux
I have two S2 models right now, at $20 combined per month service.
If I got one of these to replace one of my S2 would the service charge go up?
Nope. Just use the "change service number" option on tivo.com to swap out one of your S2 units for the HD.
Old 09-04-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why the hell isn't Tivo available in Canada.

The PVR from my local cable company dosen't allow you to watch a channel while recording another.
Old 09-05-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for the 12% off, i believe those used to exclude TiVo products, but they weren't specifically mentioned on the coupons i got in the mail for the labor day weekend. So it worked for me.
The dude at mine said "Tivo isn't excluded but unless it SAYS that product (i.e. DVR) it doesn't work." So I said "Fine then I don't want it" and walked out. Then I saw it on Amazon for cheaper, and I had a bunch of GCs on there so I bought it from Vanns with free shipping. I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

So I've been doing research on how to network this. I read in a few places that wireless gaming adapters will work just fine. I have an old Linksys that I don't use anymore (dead Gamecube). Will that work since it doesn't really require drivers? That would be most excellent since I'm having trouble finding what is compatible with the Tivo HD Series 3.

Also at TivoCommunity, "kickstart 62" seems to be able to enable the eSATA function. Not sure if I want to start futzing with that right out of the gate (looks like there are some compatibility issues?). But many people seem to have it working.
Old 09-05-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Also at TivoCommunity, "kickstart 62" seems to be able to enable the eSATA function. Not sure if I want to start futzing with that right out of the gate (looks like there are some compatibility issues?). But many people seem to have it working.
As far as I know, the kickstart 62 hack does not work with the TiVo HD, only the original Series 3. However, if you're comfortable with opening up the unit you can very easily swap out the HDD for a much larger one- it takes about 10 minutes (more information here) It does void the warranty though, so take that into consideration.
Old 09-05-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
So I've been doing research on how to network this. I read in a few places that wireless gaming adapters will work just fine. I have an old Linksys that I don't use anymore (dead Gamecube). Will that work since it doesn't really require drivers?
The only wireless adapter "approved" for the S3 and TiVoHD is the TiVo branded model. I got my adapter from a S2 to work just fine though.

If your wireless adapter is not listed on this page, along with the necessary version, it's nearly guaranteed it will not work. That one isn't listed. Doesn't hurt to try anyway.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...3-2e55fc03c89f

Last edited by Chew; 09-05-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Something I know I've been waiting for!

It was announced last night by TiVoPony (TiVo Marketing) over at the tivocommunity forum that TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing will be finally available on both the TiVoHD and Series 3 units this November!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365225
Old 09-07-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
Something I know I've been waiting for!

It was announced last night by TiVoPony (TiVo Marketing) over at the tivocommunity forum that TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing will be finally available on both the TiVoHD and Series 3 units this November!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365225
SOLD! Awsome news!!
Old 09-07-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great news.
Old 09-07-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait - somebody needs to explain this to me. I thought MRV meant you could watch content from one unit on another unit in any of the other rooms. However, I'm not reading that it is an actual transfer of the file and the files are limited to those that are unrestricted and/or limited in their transfer allowance (1).

If this is the case, wouldn't you be better off and have more flexibility if you bought a handful of Sling boxes and hook them up to your S3/HD? Although I think you'd need the new HD Sling that will be coming out.
Old 09-07-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Wait - somebody needs to explain this to me. I thought MRV meant you could watch content from one unit on another unit in any of the other rooms. However, I'm not reading that it is an actual transfer of the file and the files are limited to those that are unrestricted and/or limited in their transfer allowance (1).

If this is the case, wouldn't you be better off and have more flexibility if you bought a handful of Sling boxes and hook them up to your S3/HD? Although I think you'd need the new HD Sling that will be coming out.
Where do you see that? It looks like it works exactly the same as on a Series2 unit to me.

And the copy protection flag has always been there. I don't like it, but that little piece of idiocy isn't TiVo's fault.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.