Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Tivo HD - Anyone getting one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chew
I don't know enough about the Comcast TiVo to say whether it even does OTA, if that's what you're wondering.
I would highly doubt it, as it's meant to be used with their cable TV service.
Old 07-26-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Has anyone ordered one yet? I probably will by the end of the weekend, so I can have it up and running before all of the fall premieres.
Old 07-26-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will tell you what, I'm disgusted with TIVO. Their new pricing plans absolutely suck donkey balls.

I have a TIVO Series 2 lifetime. I called and tried to get it transferred. No go, OK I understand. The rumor is that they will allow transfers near the holidays. Fine.

Next, I see if I can add a second TIVO (the HD one) for the add on price of 7 bucks. Sure, if you sign a 3 year deal Why the hell am I going to sign a three year deal with TIVO? I won't even sign 3 year deals with DirecTV or the cable company or cell phone, I sure aint going to sign a 3 year deal for a service, while nice, is really a bonus. TIVO is pricing themselves right out of the market.

Additionally, the fact that TIVO is dependent on the CableCards uh that sucks. The cable company pretty much treats CableCards like the red-headed child, and they are always flaking out.

I will wait until TIVO gets its head on straight.
Old 07-26-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
Can you have it record every show it encounters with "fish" in the title? Can it record any show with "Michael Moore" in the description? Recording shows is the easy part.

don't think so, but i don't care
Old 07-26-07, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well I have two DirecTivos and a single receiver.
Non-HD DirecTivos? If so, chances are they'll work just fine with DirecTV for a couple years yet.
Old 07-26-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can this record two OTA signals at the same time? Because if it can do JUST THAT, I'd be in.
Old 07-26-07, 04:41 PM
Suspended

Can this record two OTA signals at the same time? Because if it can do JUST THAT, I'd be in.
Yeah, would work just like you current DirecTivo.
Old 07-26-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick
Non-HD DirecTivos? If so, chances are they'll work just fine with DirecTV for a couple years yet.
Really? People keep telling me that they're switching the MPEG compression soon to accommodate all the new HD channels which will require new receivers after that. ("Did you know 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?" Me: "Really?!")

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-26-07 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, would work just like you current DirecTivo.
Ahhhh. See now THAT could sell me. Right now I feel like I'm back in the 70's when I want to watch HDTV - slave to the TV schedule and COMMERCIALS!
Old 07-26-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I would highly doubt it, as it's meant to be used with their cable TV service.
Since the HD DirecTiVo did, I thought there might be a possibility. But, you're right, this is cable we're talking about here after all.
Old 07-26-07, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Really? People keep telling me that they're switching the MPEG compression soon to accommodate all the new HD channels which will require new receivers after that. ("Did you know 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?" Me: "Really?!")
So to clarify, you DON'T have HD DirecTivos?

If that's the case, the way it sounds you won't have to change receivers for probably a couple years.

But if you want HD on DirecTV, you won't be able to use HD DirecTivos after probably early next year, and won't get any of the new HD channels that start this September.
Old 07-26-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
Has anyone ordered one yet? I probably will by the end of the weekend, so I can have it up and running before all of the fall premieres.
I ordered one and then canceled it when I discovered my local Circuit City had them in stock. It has to wait for the weekend until I can get to the cable co and pick up some cablecards.
Old 07-26-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chanster
I will tell you what, I'm disgusted with TIVO. Their new pricing plans absolutely suck donkey balls.

I have a TIVO Series 2 lifetime. I called and tried to get it transferred. No go, OK I understand. The rumor is that they will allow transfers near the holidays. Fine.

Next, I see if I can add a second TIVO (the HD one) for the add on price of 7 bucks. Sure, if you sign a 3 year deal Why the hell am I going to sign a three year deal with TIVO? I won't even sign 3 year deals with DirecTV or the cable company or cell phone, I sure aint going to sign a 3 year deal for a service, while nice, is really a bonus. TIVO is pricing themselves right out of the market.

Additionally, the fact that TIVO is dependent on the CableCards uh that sucks. The cable company pretty much treats CableCards like the red-headed child, and they are always flaking out.

I will wait until TIVO gets its head on straight.
The 3 year deal pretty much sucks but I have my current Tivos for 3 years so I don't think it will be an issue. I highly doubt there will be anything competing in the near future.

I also currently have a CableCard in my TV. Best thing I ever got. No cable box - I just use the resident tuner in my Sony set.
Old 07-26-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
I ordered one and then canceled it when I discovered my local Circuit City had them in stock. It has to wait for the weekend until I can get to the cable co and pick up some cablecards.
Did they change the rules? I was under the impression you had to schedule and pay for an install?
Old 07-27-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So to clarify, you DON'T have HD DirecTivos?

If that's the case, the way it sounds you won't have to change receivers for probably a couple years.
Oh okay. Yeah, standard DirecTivo.
Old 07-27-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Did they change the rules? I was under the impression you had to schedule and pay for an install?
It depends on the cable company. From past experience I know that CRM gets his service from a very small company.
Old 07-27-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Oh, and another thing you have to deal with the Cable Boxes. Bookmarking. Where is it? The only way I can save a spot is if I pause a show and then change the channel it will hold my spot. However I have to press channel 1000 for it to remember. If I try to watch another recorded show, bookmark for the previous show is gone. Even if I go to that show on the DVR list, bookmark is still gone, you have to press channel 1000. I'm sorry but not saving your last spot is completely unacceptable.
Old 07-27-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Oh, and another thing you have to deal with the Cable Boxes. Bookmarking. Where is it? The only way I can save a spot is if I pause a show and then change the channel it will hold my spot. However I have to press channel 1000 for it to remember. If I try to watch another recorded show, bookmark for the previous show is gone. Even if I go to that show on the DVR list, bookmark is still gone, you have to press channel 1000. I'm sorry but not saving your last spot is completely unacceptable.
This reminds me of my least favorite "feature" of my cable company DVR- if I decide to stop watching a recording in the middle, it asks me if I want to delete it forever. Why the fuck would I want to delete something I'm not done watching? At least TiVo has the sense to just go back to the Now Playing List.
Old 07-27-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Its probably specific to the cable company. My company just hands you the cards if you want them. The old timer installers are clueless about the new technology.
Old 07-28-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I MRV between S2 and this new one?
Old 07-29-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nevermind
Can I MRV between S2 and this new one?
No, unfortunately.
Old 07-30-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, unfortunately.
At least, not yet.
Old 07-30-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least, not yet.
TiVo's been saying that since the Series 3 was released. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-30-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Nope, no cable card required. In fact, it actually works better without it. I've read all kinds of horror stories about cablecards both with installation and usage. (not to say there aren't plenty of very happy customers once it's up and running properly)

And you'll just need a single coax running from the antenna to the TiVo because the internal ATSC tuners can record on two channels at the same time.
Wow, that's great. I've wanted a TIVO for a while, but I had no idea how it would integrate with my existing OTA tuner. From what I'm reading, I assume I just wouldn't need the tuner anymore, right?
Old 07-30-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Wow, that's great. I've wanted a TIVO for a while, but I had no idea how it would integrate with my existing OTA tuner. From what I'm reading, I assume I just wouldn't need the tuner anymore, right?
Just take your antenna's coax cable from that OTA tuner and plug it into the TiVoHD. Yup, you won't need your existing tuner anymore.

Although, if you find you have three HD programs on at the same time you might want to keep it. That happens to me a lot with football on Sunday nights.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.