Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV -- News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-21, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: DirecTV -- News and Updates

I wish they would bring back the Audience Channel or something similar.
Old 12-24-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

So I just called DirecTV today. I had a 1 year $70 off per month promo that was about to expire next month, I called their retention department about what discounts they had available for me to keep my premiere plan without dropping anything.

They gave me $50 off per month for 1 year. They said that was the best they could do at this time. I accepted. When you do these kind of calls, I always believe you should be nice and not "threaten" cancellation. The lady I spoke to was nice and gave me the discount. If I was a dick, she could have easily said we got nothing. So all good. $50 discount is better than 0.

I'm working enough where I can still afford it. And it lets me keep all my premium channels including HBO Max.
The following users liked this post:
emanon (12-25-21)
Old 12-24-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

They refused to honor the $70 off per month promo you had?
Old 12-24-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They refused to honor the $70 off per month promo you had?
It expires next month and they weren't able to continue it. $50 per month was all they had in their system.
Old 12-24-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts

That’s what I was wondering
Now I see you meant that it wasn’t a promo to add to a new sub but one you already had on your account for the previous year.
Old 12-24-21, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony
That’s what I was wondering
Now I see you meant that it wasn’t a promo to add to a new sub but one you already had on your account for the previous year.
Correct. I had it since last year and it ends on January 11. Which will be my next billing cycle. So I had to call now to get some kind of credit.
Old 12-24-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I’m amazed you keep getting all these deals. Good for you. DIRECTV has outrageous prices.
Old 12-25-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1,007 Likes on 624 Posts

Thanks for the annual reminder that I need to call - I think my discount falls off first week of January.
DJariya (12-25-21)
Old 12-27-21, 08:57 PM

Received 939 Likes on 600 Posts

Just got a letter in the mail telling me my rate is gonna go up. I need to finally cancel. I’ve been clinging to it for some reason and it’s just not worth it. I’ll probably switch to Hulu live for like half the price.
Old 12-27-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Just got a letter in the mail telling me my rate is gonna go up. I need to finally cancel. I’ve been clinging to it for some reason and it’s just not worth it. I’ll probably switch to Hulu live for like half the price.
Yes, it's really expensive. If you don't watch a lot of TV, it's probably not worth it. But, otherwise if I left DirecTV, I would have no access to the Lakers and Dodgers as their networks aren't available on any Live TV streaming service.

I know I can watch network TV shows on Hulu, Paramount + and Peacock and can just subscribe to premium services like HBO Max, Showtime and Starz separately and it would probably be much cheaper than DirecTV. But, until one of those services adds Spectrum SportsNet and SportsNet LA, I just have to negotiate yearly promo discounts. I've had them since 2003 and for the most part, I've been happy with them. It just keeps getting more and more expensive every year, which does suck.
Old 12-28-21, 09:48 AM

Received 939 Likes on 600 Posts

I totally get that. Luckily I quit watching sports about five years ago, so it’s a much easier decision for me. The hard part is that I’ve had it for 12 years at least. I was firmly in the habit of coming home, turning it on and doing shit around the house while it played in the background.
I began to break myself of that a year ago. It’s just hard to let it go. Hard to understand I know.
Old 01-03-22, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1,007 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
Thanks for the annual reminder that I need to call - I think my discount falls off first week of January.
Well, that was a big fail.

For the past year, I had a $10 discount and a $50 discount. Chatted with them, asking what was available to me now. First, they offered $10 a month for a year, which would have put my rate up north of $140/mo. I said no thanks, how do I cancel? They put me on hold, then came back and extended another $25/mo, discount, putting me a $116/mo. Once again, I declined, and asked to cancel my service. They put me on hold again, and said ok, and gave me instructions on returning my equipment.

Things might get interesting here, as I had a receiver die a couple of years back, and purchased a DTV Genie receiver on (I believe) FB Marketplace. They say that this receiver now needs to be returned. I'm not going to do so without raising a stink, as I paid for it through a third party. If they wanted it back, they should've pursued things with that individual when the discontinued service.

I'm also curious if I'll receive any follow-up communication to try and get my to stay. I'd be content to continue paying what I have been - or, frankly, anything
Old 02-18-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

So I just spent the last hour talking to DirecTV to renegotiate my bill. With the price increase, it was getting pricey and pushing $200/month.

With some back and forth chatting, I managed to go from almost $200/month, down to $137. That still includes my $50 off loyalty credit and also I got some premium channel credits as well. The premium channel credits are for 3 months. I had to downgrade from Premier, which was simply too expensive to Xtra, which is a grandfathered plan, but cheaper and still has the majority of the channels I want. I saved almost $70/month just for contacting them and telling them it was getting too expensive and they worked with me.

Just an FYI, they cannot offer premium channel credits if you're on the Premier plan. It can only be added on the lowe tier like Xtra, which I now have.
Old 02-18-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I had to downgrade from Premier, which was simply too expensive to Xtra, which is a grandfathered plan, but cheaper and still has the majority of the channels I want. I saved almost $70/month just for contacting them and telling them it was getting too expensive and they worked with me.
Pretty much my experience from a few months ago. I really was only on still on Premier because they kept basically giving it to me for free, but that dried up. I don't miss it, and it was a large price drop.
Old 03-01-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The RT Network is gone

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...rt-1235101912/
Old 05-16-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

So I had to make some changes to my DirecTV account today. The promos I had for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz were all expiring tomorrow. I also had a promo expiring for the Sports Pack which I never used. It's basically a bunch of RSNs I never watched. Waste of money. I talked to a CS person and asked if there were any new promos available.

He looked it up and there was only a $5 off/per month promo for 3 months on HBO and another discount for the Sports Pack.

So I took the HBO promo and passed on the Sports Pack deal. I had them cancel Showtime, Starz and Cinemax. I managed to get Showtime and Starz through direct deals with their website. Starz has a $40 for 12 months promo and Showtime has a 30 day free trial with $4 per month for 4 months.

I can live without Cinemax since they don't have original shows anymore.

So I think I saved a little money on my DirecTV bill and got better deals for some of the premiums elsewhere.
Old 05-16-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder whey they don't update those photos they use for their programs on their dvrs or are they getting lazy?

Drew Barrymore show is probably 3 years old and it still has no photo when you see it in the program guide?

Robin WIlliams is still alive when you look up the cast and crew info?
Old 01-16-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

So I made a change on my DirecTV account last week that I'm not sure I like.

I had a 1-year, $50 off loyalty promo that was expiring. I tried calling to see if I could get another one. No dice. The CSR rep and retention rep had nothing. So my bill was set to go up from around $126 per month to around $170+

I decided to downgrade to the lowest tier "Entertainment" which has the locals and the main cable channels I watch. But, it takes away some. And I later realized this package also takes away the RSNs and the $11.99 fee. So I lose my local Bally Sports and also lose my 2 Spectrum channels, which televise Dodgers and Lakers. I'm not sure I'm good with that as I am a Dodgers and Lakers fan and there is no other service that has them.

Ughh, sucks. I may have to suck it up and upgrade 1 tier. But, I was hoping to save a few bucks, but this kinda backfired. I know some of you can live without your RSNs to save money, but I don't think I can make it until May with only national TNT and ESPN games for the Lakers. And 95% of Dodgers games are on Spectrum LA. Fuck, I hate the stupid RSN fee.
Old 01-17-23, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Yeah, sports are one of the main reasons to me for getting satellite or cable so I can completely understand. The one saving grace is that even when they stink, the Lakers are on national tv a bunch especially with Lebron chasing records, so you're not as bad off as some other fans, and you lived without the Dodgers for a while back when DirecTV didn't have them.
Old 01-17-23, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Same here.

I could have gotten a downgraded package then lose most of stuff exclusive to DirecTV.

I also get all of the pro sports leagues packages(but at least the NBA/NHL have lowered their prices).

It's a shame that the NBA app(that comes with NBA League Pass) has sucked this year(making watching games with their app pointless).
Old 01-18-23, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So I made a change on my DirecTV account last week that I'm not sure I like.

I had a 1-year, $50 off loyalty promo that was expiring. I tried calling to see if I could get another one. No dice. The CSR rep and retention rep had nothing. So my bill was set to go up from around $126 per month to around $170+
My current slate of discounts/promos roll off next summer. The discounts are the only thing that keeps DirecTV competitive. Based on my recent experience trying to get NFL Sunday Ticket (no dice) and your experience, it may be that the screws have been permanently tightened and my long relationship with DirecTV will soon be coming to an end.
Old 01-19-23, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

I switched to DirecTV Stream from DISH a year ago and it's been a huge win for me. The price did go up recently to $105 but still cheaper than DISH would be costing me right now at around $150 plus I needed NESN for Bruins and Red Sox which DISH dropped. There's also MSG for NY teams. I bought the refurbed Osprey box from their site for $50 and it's no different from a new one. Their remote has channel numbers for those used to changing channels that way but also Google Voice assistant. I like not having to clean off the dish when it snows or losing signal during thunderstorms. I also like the unlimited cloud recording. Like all streaming TV you do need reliable internet. If it goes down you're out of luck.

Last edited by philo; 01-19-23 at 11:49 AM.
DJariya (01-19-23)
Old 01-25-23, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Directv dropped Newsmax

I think they dropped OAN last year

“On multiple occasions, we made it clear to Newsmax that we wanted to continue to offer the network, but ultimatelyNewsmax’s demands for rate increases would have led to significantly higher costs that we would have to pass on to our broad customer base,” a DirecTV spokesperson told The Daily Beast shortly after midnight on Wednesday.

“Anyone, including our customers, can watch the network for free via NewsmaxTV.com, YouTube.com and on multiple streaming platforms like Amazon Fire TV, Roku and Google Play. We continually evaluate the most relevant programming to provide our customers and expect to fill this available channel with new content.”

Just before DirecTV dumped the network, Newsmax published a preemptive article bashing the provider over the likely “deplatforming.” Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy also accused DirecTV of lying to media outlets about the network demanding carriage fees for its free streamed content.

“That is simply false. DirecTV knows that no operator pays a fee while Newsmax streams free,” Ruddy said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/direct...hannel-newsmax
Old 01-28-23, 03:26 PM

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

For those who have the newer DirecTV Stream thing, is it basically all the same channels, you just don’t have the physical dish?
Old 01-28-23, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
For those who have the newer DirecTV Stream thing, is it basically all the same channels, you just don’t have the physical dish?
No dish. But they send you a box that has to connect to the internet. I haven't looked too much into it though as I still have the Dish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.