DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Barker Says O'Donnell Could Replace Him (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/503888-barker-says-odonnell-could-replace-him.html)

lordwow 06-21-07 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I know this might not be a popular candidate but I think they should think about Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) as a replacement for Bob Barker.

Jeez nateman, between this and bashing LOTR in the AFI thread, I'm not sure I can trust your judgment anymore :lol:

nateman 06-21-07 09:23 AM

Jeez nateman, between this and bashing LOTR in the AFI thread, I'm not sure I can trust your judgment anymore :lol:
:lol:

zebop 06-21-07 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Ever heard of a thing called a Night Job? 11pm-7am or 7pm-7am. I didn't watch the price is right everyday or anything but I was home watchin' DVDs when it was on.
I know this might not be a popular candidate but I think they should think about Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) as a replacement for Bob Barker. Her talk show didn't last long because it didn't have a spark to it & I don't think it was her fault that the show failed.
I think it was 1. Shes not a household name like Ellen & 2. The format of the show could have been done better.
Or they should give Gary Shandling (The Larry Sanders show) a shot at Barkers replacement, Alot of people might tune out though because they might not like Shandling's comedy.

I think Garry Shandling would rather commit suicide then host the Price is Right. Megan Mullally is a good choice, she's cute, funny, interesting--everything a PIR host really shouldn't be.

My picks is Arsenio Hall. He's older, very smart--but if Todd Newton and Rosie O' Donnell are in the running, the show is doomed for self-destruction.

Jray 06-21-07 11:35 AM

Rosie or not... I'd love to see them update the antiquated 60's set a little. Doesn't it bother anyone else that you always feel like you're in a time warp when you watch this show? Not that I get to much anymore... watch, that is.

magiccmom 06-21-07 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jray
Rosie or not... I'd love to see them update the antiquated 60's set a little. Doesn't it bother anyone else that you always feel like you're in a time warp when you watch this show? Not that I get to much anymore... watch, that is.

Nope, that is part of the charm for me.

taffer 06-21-07 12:21 PM

I think they should postpone TPIR indefinitely. In 10-20 years or whenever we get some good cloning technology, they could build a young Bob Barker clone and have him host TPIR again.

Jobronie 06-21-07 12:32 PM

Scanning thru the radio dial yesterday, found someone that might just fit the show's demographics: John Tesh. This guy is less threatening than Mother Theresa.

His height would be problem dealing with the contestants, tho.......

calhoun07 06-21-07 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jray

Not as much as the overly designed sets of modern game shows with their hundreds of blinding spot lights and annoying "dramatic" music every time somebody answers a question bothers me.

And I agree...it's part of the charm. It doesn't look dated at all, to me...the Price is Right set is as timeless as Mount Rushmore.

Bill Needle 06-21-07 08:01 PM

Maybe when Bob said Rosie could replace him he meant it in the "giving the models the heebie-jeebies when he looks at them" way.

Match 06-21-07 10:06 PM

How about these people to host TPIR"
Peter Tomarken would be great, but he died in 2006
Adam Sandler
John McEnroe
Bobcat Goldthwaite
Crispin Glover
Maybe Bill Clinton?

calhoun07 06-21-07 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Match
How about these people to host TPIR"
Peter Tomarken would be great, but he died in 2006
Adam Sandler
John McEnroe
Bobcat Goldthwaite
Crispin Glover
Maybe Bill Clinton?

Now we get to the joke posts...

Maybe Bob recommending Rosie for the spot is his way of telling America to "go neuter yourselves!"

Ayre 06-25-07 02:46 PM

From Studio Briefing - June 25, 2007

Rosie O'Donnell has turned down an offer from The Price Is Right producers to host the show, according to FoxNews.com's Roger Friedman. Friedman reported today (Monday) that O'Donnell met with producers of the CBS game show on Thursday but refused to travel to Los Angeles, insisting that it be brought to New York or Miami, where she lives. "The location of the show -- Los Angeles -- was the deal-breaker," Friedman wrote. Separately, he added, ratings for The View have declined 13 percent since O'Donnell left. "Losing O'Donnell was an unmitigated disaster" for the network, he commented.

argh923 06-25-07 02:59 PM

Some nerve she has to make that demand.

DVDFreaker 06-25-07 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Some nerve she has to make that demand.

True but hey, Rosie isn't gonna host The Price is Right so let's celebrate!

islandclaws 06-25-07 03:09 PM

Talk about dodging a fat, slow-moving bullet. Praise jebus!

Red Dog 06-25-07 03:15 PM

For once, I cheer for L.A.

SoSpacey 06-25-07 04:19 PM

someone reportd this weekend that drew carey was the frontrunner to land TPIR.

DVDFreaker 06-25-07 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I can't stand Drew Carey, bad choice if he is hired but then again, I quit watching Price is Right forever since Bob retired for good

Red Dog 06-25-07 05:18 PM

Why do they think they require a comedian, and I use that term loosely?

calhoun07 06-25-07 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

Good F'n Aunt Petunia. The choices just get worse and worse and worse. First there was Ricki Lake and I thought I'd NEVER say I'd rather have Ricki Lake back then they announced Rosie might be host and I thought I'd rather see Ricki Lake back than have Rosie then Rosie is out and now this crap? I'd seriously rather see either Ricki Lake or Rosie get the show over him. He's NOT funny (though I thought his TV series was pretty good, regardless of him) and I couldn't begin to imagine watching him on TPIR laughing at his own jokes while the audience just sits there staring blankly at him.

calhoun07 06-25-07 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Why do they think they require a comedian, and I use that term loosely?

Exactly. They need to hire a GAME SHOW HOST. As I said before, I do believe they are a dying breed...new game shows just go to b-level "stars" that couldn't make it on to craptacular reality shows on CW.

devilshalo 06-25-07 06:43 PM

Fuckin' A.. just bring in Wink Martindale.

calhoun07 06-25-07 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Fuckin' A.. just bring in Wink Martindale.

He'd be a good temp host, I suppose, but at his age he wouldn't be around for long until he was ready to retire himself.

fernsita 06-25-07 07:29 PM

game show host needs to be brought back as a career instead of crappy actors. maybe they should do a reality show -- "america's game show hosts." hahaa

astrochimp 06-25-07 07:30 PM

"Well, here's the thing: I don't really need a job," O'Donnell says in a video posted Sunday on her Web site. "I'm in a weird position. I don't need the money."

Thanks so much for sharing that with us Rosie :rolleyes: