DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Barker Says O'Donnell Could Replace Him (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/503888-barker-says-odonnell-could-replace-him.html)

Chew 06-19-07 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Because it's an extremely popular show during the day and they don't want to pick someone that sucks or that'll get people to tune out.

Why didn't they try the Carson replacement model months ago? Start bringing in a guest host a week while Bob was still around to see who people like the most? That opportunity is completely lost now.

gimmepilotwings 06-19-07 02:23 PM

I'd honestly never watch the show again if Rosie were cast.

I love the Arsenio suggestion.

Yavin 06-19-07 02:52 PM

"The price is wrong, bitch!"

RoboDad 06-19-07 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Why didn't they try the Carson replacement model months ago? Start bringing in a guest host a week while Bob was still around to see who people like the most? That opportunity is completely lost now.

As I understand it, they have been doing that, in a way. I read that they have had "non-airing" episodes taped with different host candidates. I'm not sure whether the producers have shown these episodes to focus groups, polled the audiences afterwards, or just reviewed them themselves, but something is happening.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 06-19-07 03:00 PM

they should just stop making new episodes and show old barker episodes. start at the beginning and it'll take a while to run through the episodes.

Red Dog 06-19-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
they should just stop making new episodes and show old barker episodes. start at the beginning and it'll take a while to run through the episodes.

What pisses me off is that GSN no longer has the rights to old episodes. I would love to watch those.

Plus I think it was part of Bob's contract that episodes from the era when they gave out fur coats cannot be re-aired. Don't know what will happen now that he is no longer the host.

Brent L 06-20-07 11:59 AM

Oh God...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ent&id=5401630

(6/20/07 - LOS ANGELES, CA) - "The Price Is Right" needs a host, and Rosie O'Donnell is interested. Very interested. The 45-year-old said on her blog recently that she was meeting with the "Price" people this week and that she "sure would" accept the job if they offer.

"I LOVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT," she wrote, the capitalization underscoring her feelings.

CBS and FremantleMedia North America, which produces the hit game show, have been seeking a replacement for the venerable Bob Barker, who retired this month after 35 years as the show's host.

Among those reportedly in the running are Todd Newton of the E! network, Mark Steines of "Entertainment Tonight," George Hamilton and John O'Hurley. But Barker said O'Donnell is his pick.

"She knows the show," he said backstage at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards. "There's no doubt in my mind she could do the show. Now, whether they want a lady host, I don't know. I've never heard that discussed. As far as I know, they've only auditioned men."

CBS and FremantleMedia had no comment Tuesday.

O'Donnell's spokeswoman, Cindi Berger, was not specific about the ex-"View" commentator's plans: "Rosie is meeting with several networks about a lot of different ideas."

"The Price Is Right" is filmed in Los Angeles. O'Donnell lives in Nyack, New York, near New York City, with her partner and their four children.

lotsofdvds 06-20-07 12:17 PM

There's no way they'd hire her. The View is one thing... people were supposed to be opinionated. But you have to be inviting on a game show. Everyone has to love you.

Infrared Sight 06-20-07 12:42 PM

They would never hire her. They know if they did the show would bomb and rightfully so. I cannot stand her and would never watch the show again. I went to TPIR 7 times while Bob was there(never picked). Great times.

exharrison 06-20-07 01:10 PM

What have they been doing since Barker retired? A haitus?

Charlie Goose 06-20-07 02:19 PM

I would say Tom Bergeron, but he's busy on ABC with AFHV and the dancing show.

bunkaroo 06-20-07 02:56 PM

Count me as another who would never watch again if they hired that waste of space.

taffer 06-20-07 03:32 PM

The only way I would want for them to pick Rosie O'bese is if the only two options were to hire either her or Paris Hilton. Even then, I think it would be better to just cancel the show.

Josh H 06-20-07 03:41 PM

How many of the people bitching about them possibly going with Rosie actually watch the show?

I can't stand Rosie either, but couldn't give a shit about this as I've never watched the show and never will. Just saw the title and thought it was interesting that people were undoubtedly bitching about a potential host on a show that most members here probably don't watch because:

1. It's on while most people are at work
2. I doubt we have many old women members. ;)

taffer 06-20-07 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H

Ever hear of a little invention called VCR (or the modern day equivalent tivo)? ;)

Josh H 06-20-07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Ever hear of a little invention called VCR (or the modern day equivalent tivo)? ;)

Of course. But I didn't think people actually liked game shows (especially this one) enough to tape and watch later. :eek:

I thought they were just in the "I'll watch it if there's nothing else on" type of programming. :shrug:

taffer 06-20-07 03:54 PM

When I was in elementary school, I was addicted to TPIR. I actually did tape it and watch it after I got home from school. :lol:

As I got older my addiction wore off, but I still watch it occasionally... if I have nothing else to do.

magiccmom 06-20-07 04:30 PM

If I had to hear you screeching voice every day while I worked around my house, I think I would stick my head in the blender.

Jules Winfield 06-20-07 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
If I had to hear you screeching voice every day while I worked around my house, I think I would stick my head in the blender.

You don't even know me.:(

Goat3001 06-20-07 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H
How many of the people bitching about them possibly going with Rosie actually watch the show?

I can't stand Rosie either, but couldn't give a shit about this as I've never watched the show and never will. Just saw the title and thought it was interesting that people were undoubtedly bitching about a potential host on a show that most members here probably don't watch because:

Somewhere down the line, PIR turned into a college student thing. Of course there are still plenty of older viewers but if you watch the show lately most of the contestants are college aged. Me and all my college friends love it and used to watch it almost every morning.

magiccmom 06-20-07 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Somewhere down the line, PIR turned into a college student thing. Of course there are still plenty of older viewers but if you watch the show lately most of the contestants are college aged. Me and all my college friends love it and used to watch it almost every morning.

and most of the contestants are college kids....with horrible shopping skills! LOL

magiccmom 06-20-07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
You don't even know me.:(

Ha Ha! You must sound like Rosie!

"her" voice.....

taffer 06-20-07 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
and most of the contestants are college kids....with horrible shopping skills! LOL

How many college age kids do a lot of shopping? They buy food, clothes, beer, and condoms and that is basically it.

magiccmom 06-20-07 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
How many college age kids do a lot of shopping? They buy food, clothes, beer, and condoms and that is basically it.

right...that's what makes it soooo funny. Ha Ha! Love to see the grocery game with those item on it....

nateman 06-21-07 09:03 AM

Ever heard of a thing called a Night Job? 11pm-7am or 7pm-7am. I didn't watch the price is right everyday or anything but I was home watchin' DVDs when it was on.
I know this might not be a popular candidate but I think they should think about Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) as a replacement for Bob Barker. Her talk show didn't last long because it didn't have a spark to it & I don't think it was her fault that the show failed.
I think it was 1. Shes not a household name like Ellen & 2. The format of the show could have been done better.
Or they should give Gary Shandling (The Larry Sanders show) a shot at Barkers replacement, Alot of people might tune out though because they might not like Shandling's comedy.