Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Thompson leaving Law & Order

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cusm
OKAY - move Munch and Finn over - or just add them to this one and SVU.
Best idea the franchise could ever pull. Don't bring them to L&O. No. Make it a spin-off called Kicking Ass & Taking Names.
Old 06-02-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Munch and Finn L&O would rock.
Old 06-05-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Waterston eyeing 'Law & Order' promotion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070605/...rder_waterston

LOS ANGELES - Sam Waterston may be a getting a "Law & Order" promotion. The actor is negotiating to step in as the show's New York district attorney, replacing co-star Fred Thompson, a source close to the production said Monday. Thompson, a former U.S. senator, is weighing a presidential run and asked to be released from the NBC drama.

The source was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Waterston, who's been with "Law & Order" for 13 years, plays Executive Assistant District Attorney Jack McCoy. His character would take over from District Attorney Arthur Branch (Thompson) when the show returns in midseason, the source said.

The story line and McCoy's replacement have yet to be determined.

NBC and series creator and executive producer Dick Wolf declined comment Monday, as did Waterston's representative.

Cast changes are part of the "Law & Order" history, with a variety of actors playing prosecutors and police detectives. NBC had announced that Jeremy Sisto ("Six Feet Under") was joining the drama as a detective when the show begins its 18th year.

Sisto is replacing Milena Govich, who played Detective Nina Cassady.

There's also a larger shake-up in the "Law & Order" family, with next season's "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" to be seen first on the USA cable channel before it airs on NBC. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" will remain on NBC with the original series.

------------------
Noooooooooooooooo. I hate all things Jeremy Sisto. Sniff
Old 06-05-07, 10:47 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
CNN says the same thing:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

Waterston, who's been with "Law & Order" for 13 years, plays Executive Assistant District Attorney Jack McCoy. His character would take over from District Attorney Arthur Branch (Thompson) when the show returns in midseason, the source said.
At what point did the return of L&O switch to mid-season?
Old 06-05-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts
It got moved to Sunday nights after the football season.
Old 06-05-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yay, goodbye Govich!
Old 06-05-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Don't talk about my fellow Manitoban like that. I don't care.

I agree that Munch has been extremly underused this season to the point were he is in some of the episodes for a total of 1 minute if that. Ice T has been underused as well but not nearly as much as Munch.
I'd watch Law & Order: M & T hell it would be better than that L&O: TBJ with Lilith.
Heh, don't misunderstand me. I have absolutely no problem with anyone of any background playing their ethnicity in a dramatic medium. I have a problem when they do so in a cliched way.

Doc
Old 06-06-07, 10:16 AM

Heh, don't misunderstand me. I have absolutely no problem with anyone of any background playing their ethnicity in a dramatic medium. I have a problem when they do so in a cliched way.

Doc
Oh I agree completly, thats why i said i don't care. No worrys, I'm not going to throw a bitchfest at ya.
Old 06-06-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good man.
Old 06-06-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
At what point did the return of L&O switch to mid-season?
Yeah, I missed that one too.......
Old 06-06-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Thompson leaving Law & Order
Obligatory: Is it because he's a lesbian?????
Old 06-06-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jobronie
Obligatory: Is it because he's a lesbian?????

hahaha, nice. Though the answer of "No, it's because you're a terrible actress who grated on the nerves of the fans" wouldn't work in this case.

Doc
Old 06-08-07, 10:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
New Law & Order DA Predicts "Fireworks"

Sam Waterston has officially been "promoted" to New York District Attorney on Law & Order, as longtime prosecutor Jack McCoy fills the vacancy dictated by possible presidential candidate Fred Thompson's exit from the role of Arthur Branch. Though he may, as a result, see less screen time, Waterson puts the best spin on the sitch, saying that while the career move is "a logical step" for McCoy, "politics isn't his game." As such, "There'll be fireworks," the actor predicts. "I'm looking forward to it."
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...w-38/800016689
Old 06-08-07, 02:14 PM

All these changes makes me really think they won't beat Gunsmoke's record. Death is nearby...

A pity since with all the good and bad, this franchise has really been one of the greatest.

Any word on Alana De La Garza? I hope she stays but I really doubt they would make her the replacement Executive ADA (McCoy's former title).

Last edited by gatoinfeliz; 06-08-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I think this is a good natural progression for McCoy's character. Even in the season finale, Thompson says it may be time for him to call it quits, and for McCoy to step up. Now just port Munch and Finn over
Old 06-08-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the Gunsmoke record requires the show staying on network TV, L&O might not make it. Then again, it wouldn't totally shock me to see the CW or that My network change strategy again and pick up L&O. We know TNT was interested in having it first run, so I think that makes it pretty likely they'd be happy to continue buying the episodes. A show like L&O would instantly be the highest rated show on either CW or My if the viewers who can also see those channels would follow the show. I think many of them probably would.

ETA: As far as McCoy goes, it seems to me that he can only last so long as the DA or acting DA or whatever they're going to call him. I'd personally like to see him make a terrible political decision and then turn to the "dark side" of criminal defense.
Old 06-20-07, 12:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

According to TVguide they talked to Bradley Whitford about being the new ADA but he's too expensive. They are also talking to Imperioli but it's for the ADA part, not bringing him back as a detective.
Old 06-20-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Meh. I don't see Imperioli as a prosecutor.

I vote for Stephanie March, Carey Lowell or Angie Harmon. None of them are doing anything nowadays. They can't be very expensive.
Old 06-20-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Meh. I don't see Imperioli as a prosecutor.

I vote for Stephanie March, Carey Lowell or Angie Harmon. None of them are doing anything nowadays. They can't be very expensive.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-20-07, 10:11 AM

I have heard rumours that Michael Moriarty is planning on running for president of the US in the 2008 election.
I for one hope he does win and it would be fun as hell to say US president Benjamin Stone. If I were a US citizen I would vote for MM over the creepy Fred Thompson anyday.
Old 06-20-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
According to TVguide they talked to Bradley Whitford about being the new ADA but he's too expensive. They are also talking to Imperioli but it's for the ADA part, not bringing him back as a detective.

< Ted>Aw man!< /Ted> Josh would have bought some great energy to the show... ashame he's too pricey.

-Doc
Old 06-24-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How'd they get Jill Hennessy off of the show? She doesn't have a series come fall...

I'll toss out Dave Foley for the ADA role. If not him, maybe Stephen Root. I admit I am biased...
Old 06-24-07, 11:21 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
How'd they get Jill Hennessy off of the show?
Killed her off.

Of course in the L&O universe that doesn't mean she couldn't come back as a new lawyer
Old 06-24-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Bring back Ben Stone.
Old 06-25-07, 10:37 AM

BigDaddy
Bring back Ben Stone.
Good man, Finally someone agrees that L&O needs someone good on the show again.
Jimmy James
How'd they get Jill Hennessy off of the show? She doesn't have a series come fall...

I'll toss out Dave Foley for the ADA role. If not him, maybe Stephen Root. I admit I am biased...
I'd love to see Law & Order: Newsradio.
MrX
Killed her off.

Of course in the L&O universe that doesn't mean she couldn't come back as a new lawyer
Lt. Anita Van Buren (S. Epatha Merkerson) was a cleaning lady & Lenny used to be a lawyer before he changed his name to lenny & got a downgrade from being a lawyer to a detective.

My vote for new ADA is: ALAN ALDA!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.