Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "the Man Behind the Curtain" -- 05.09.2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how Locke survives. The island doesnt just "cure" gunshot wounds. At least it didn't for anyone else.
Old 05-09-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Ben can communicate with Jacob, but Ben just couldn't hear what Jacob said to Locke. Maybe he can speak/appear only to whomever he chooses?

Also, we saw someone get injected with something while Ben and Roger were getting registered. Does that shed anything new on why Desmond and the other Dharma workers needed these meds?

Also, does this reveal anything new about why Desmond or his replacements were at a station? Were they just doing recon for Dharma after the purge?

Does anyone else not buy the Mikhael being perfectly alright because the setting wasn't set to kill? There has to be some kind of healing element among these people.
Old 05-09-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jacob does remind me of "management", but really, this show is the antithesis to Carnivale. Carnivale was one of the most meticulously thought out and well-planned shows I ever watched, this on the other hand seems to be planned in quite the different way...anywho...

I have a quick question. When Juliet asked them to flip over the tape, after they all listened to it they were acting like what was said by Ben exonerated her, I didn' get this. It seemed to me that if anything, Ben's reply only made her seem more guilty. What did I miss? Why were they all acting like she was on their side all of a sudden?
Old 05-09-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dave-o
Why were they all acting like she was on their side all of a sudden?
This reveals that they know when and where Ben is going to invade the camp. I agree that it doesn't paint her as completely innocent, but it's valuable intel.

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I don't see how Locke survives. The island doesnt just "cure" gunshot wounds. At least it didn't for anyone else.
This show kills people in the final twist all the time. If they wanted him dead, it just seems like they would have had Ben finish the job right here. It's possible that Locke dies before the finale, but I don't think it's from this.
Old 05-09-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by alpha540
ben did ask what locke heard he before he shot him- right after jacob says, 'help me.' but locke, still thinking ben was putting on a show, told ben to stop dicking him around and then turned on the flashlight.

my guess for all this is that, since locke can hear jacob too(and the fact that john is walking after landing on the island), that ben now thinks locke is more special than he is, and is now taking out the competition.
What I'm saying is that if Ben heard the message, he has no need to hear it from Locke. He already shot Locke, so he had made up his mind about whatever prompted that. If he hadn't already shot him when he asked and Locke told him, it could have been that Ben was trying to confirm whether or not Locke actually heard the message. That doesn't really make sense the way it played out, though.
Old 05-09-07, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by dave-o
I have a quick question. When Juliet asked them to flip over the tape, after they all listened to it they were acting like what was said by Ben exonerated her, I didn' get this. It seemed to me that if anything, Ben's reply only made her seem more guilty. What did I miss? Why were they all acting like she was on their side all of a sudden?
i was under the impression that the losties aren't forgiving her, but more shocked to hear that the others(in numbers) were coming. but they're exonerated her, just because jack and juliet have some plan to stop the others from taking anymore people, now that the losties know exactly when the others are coming.

Last edited by alpha540; 05-09-07 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When the hell did they show Jacob? I completely missed that.
Old 05-09-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

was the man young ben met in the forest Richard? My friends seem to think they're the same guy.
Old 05-09-07, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
What I'm saying is that if Ben heard the message, he has no need to hear it from Locke. He already shot Locke, so he had made up his mind about whatever prompted that. If he hadn't already shot him when he asked and Locke told him, it could have been that Ben was trying to confirm whether or not Locke actually heard the message. That doesn't really make sense the way it played out, though.
haha, sorry i misunderstood what you were trying to say. the thing is, i don't think ben heard what jacob said to locke, but was really shocked that he could hear him. which leads back to my guess of ben feeling inferior and shooting locke so that he could remain being the leader.
Old 05-09-07, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Birrman54
was the man young ben met in the forest Richard? My friends seem to think they're the same guy.
they are correct.
Old 05-09-07, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24
it was a blink and you miss it type shot. i missed it too, but going back through the episode he's really there.
Old 05-09-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
lol so many characters...who is Richard again???
Old 05-09-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haha, sorry i misunderstood what you were trying to say. the thing is, i don't think ben heard what jacob said to locke, but was really shocked that he could hear him. which leads back to my guess of ben feeling inferior and shooting locke so that he could remain being the leader.
In that case, I also misunderstood you. Ha.
Old 05-09-07, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
lol so many characters...who is Richard again???
the guy who gave locke sawyer's folder in last weeks episode and the person he snapped on, after finding out the tape recorder was missing. (yes, i'm talking about one/same person)
Old 05-09-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
the guy who gave locke sawyer's folder in last weeks episode and the person he snapped on, after finding out the tape recorder was missing. (yes, i'm talking about one/same person)
Ah...ok. Interesting. Thanks.
Old 05-09-07, 11:37 PM

something just occured to me. what ever happened to annie, the girl who gave ben that wooden doll? was she 'purged' or maybe she left the island?
Old 05-09-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. If Ben heard Jacob he wouldn't have acted the way he did when Locke said "help me". Locke had to respond again with "Jacob said help me" for Ben to understand that he himself wasn't actually asking for help.
Old 05-09-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
I like how the whole Dharma Initiative, which we were made to believe was a huge part of the show and the mythology beginning with season 2, has been minimalized in importance to the show over the last few episodes. Many of the Lost games online were based around Dharma and what they were up to and now it seems like the show is going entirely in another direction. Are we being deceived here as viewers? It would be like Star Wars talking up the Death Star and how destructive it is and then simply pushing it aside and focusing on the Ewoks and the Endor Forest.
Old 05-09-07, 11:52 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trelach24
I missed it too but just re-watched the scene. Indeed, Jacob is there. Jacob is visible for a few frames immediately after he "pushes" Ben (watch for Ben grabbing the chair and telling Jacob to stop). He is only seen for a split second. Once you see Locke again, it is over.

Jacob definitely has long hair and does resemble Kris Kristofferson. His image also brought to mind Liam Neeson and Jeff Bridges when they had long hair. Who knows.
Old 05-09-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Another thing that doesnt really make since is that he fairly recently killed off his father and the rest of Dharma yet he supposedly has a daughter named Alex. When and how is all of this supposed to have happened. Would he still give a rats ass about his drunk daddy not remembering his birthday if he were already a father? We know that he is probably not her real dad but he has had to have had her since she was very young to make her belive that he is daddy. The timeline of the show seems a bit off. There is no way in hell that this purge happened twenty years ago since Ben and his father aged quite significantly from the time they arrived on the island until Ben passed gas.
Old 05-10-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2 cars that drive by in the beginning of the episode are late 60s early 70s. The truck looks considerably newer. The VW vans on the island that look "new," could be from the mid-late 70s.
Old 05-10-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jacob appears at 45:58 on my TIVO. Right after Ben is pushed to the wall and the shotgun-like sound is heard.

Jacob looked a lot like Locke to me, folks (with a fake hair piece)
Old 05-10-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jacob's "help me" sounded an awful lot like Kelvin Joe Inman (Clancy Brown).
Old 05-10-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Another thing that doesnt really make since is that he fairly recently killed off his father and the rest of Dharma yet he supposedly has a daughter named Alex. When and how is all of this supposed to have happened. Would he still give a rats ass about his drunk daddy not remembering his birthday if he were already a father? We know that he is probably not her real dad but he has had to have had her since she was very young to make her belive that he is daddy. The timeline of the show seems a bit off. There is no way in hell that this purge happened twenty years ago since Ben and his father aged quite significantly from the time they arrived on the island until Ben passed gas.

it's pretty commonly accepted that
Spoiler:
that is rousseau's daughter that Ben took when she was a baby znd raised as his own.

I know things from previous seasons may not jive with new information. but the "quarantine" on the inside of the doors of the hatch i guess would be because of the purge ? Maybe Dharma never knew why all those people died and the thought the island did it...

Why was Dharma still dropping food?

I know i'll have a bunch of other questions when thinking about this tomorrow....
Old 05-10-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[I'm not entirely certain if this has been posted prior, and, as such, I am simply going to post it.]

Ben's mother appears to him early in his time on the island, and shortly after "The Hostiles" first show up. Assuming, as I am, that his mother was being projected by Smokey, how did "she" manage to circumvent the security field?

It has already been established that it prevents Smokey from entering, so I am slightly perplexed as to how this could possibly occur.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.