Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "the Man Behind the Curtain" -- 05.09.2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but....What a tremendous, quick-fast, gangsta ass beat down Locke gave ol' patch eye!!!! That was great! Then he gave him such a in ya face grin as he and Ben walked off to see Jacob. Damn he betta not die
Old 05-10-07, 11:19 PM

re-watching this episode again, i'm thinking that ben doesn't die in this season after all because there are just too many unanswered questions about ben's past. i'm thinking that they never showed us what happened to annie, why richard told ben to be patient, why richard so quickly accepted ben, ben's purge plan and so on. then again this is coming from a huge ben/michael emerson fan, so i'm a bit biased.
Old 05-10-07, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by kenny79
Didn't Juliet say that women on the island died during their second trimester (i.e., 4 or 5 months of pregnancy)?
yeah she did (2nd trimester is 4-6 months). well, now we know why ben is wasting everyone's time with fertility tests and such.
Old 05-10-07, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Is Ben's dad the one that Hurly found in the car with all the beer a few episodes back?
yup.
Old 05-10-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 878 Likes on 396 Posts
Any connection to the bones/dharma suits in the polar bear cave when Locke got Echo, and the grave pit?

I'm still not buying the Juliet is on the Losties side. If she is, there was no need to take Sun to the Staff hatch. She could have just left Ben a recording. I think she's playing both sides right now, covering her ass both ways.

If it is future Locke I would have told myself, Shoot Ben NOW!!! So, I don't think it's Locke.

It looked to me that Ben shot Locke because Ben created a monster and Locke was going to force him out, after the Mikhail fight, killing his dad, etc.

Sawyer was shot in the arm and healed. And, apparently the Others don't think zombies will rise up. They sent Dale's wife to a Viking funeral.

It appears that Naomi is not affiliated with the Others.

I picked up on the Ben's mom dying thing too. And, my first thought was, we're not in Hurley's head, we're in Ben's head and he's making this all up.
Old 05-10-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did Ben's daughter know that he would try to kill Locke? Is that why she told Ben "If you're going to see Jacob, you'll need this", and handed him a gun?
Old 05-10-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
So, if the producers say that everything on the show is within the realm of possibility and could happen in real life, I'm confused by the Jacob stuff. It can't be a ghost. That would make them liars. If Ben's crazy, how did Locke hear and possibly see someone there?
Old 05-10-07, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
And there is another great point tha adds confusion to this whole thing after the "purge". We assumed that Ben was the only Dharma person to have survived but yet Tom is quoting someone who is responsible for Dharma. If the "hostiles" wanted Dharma out then they sure wouldn't be holding them in high accord and quoting them after they are gone.
well, we don't know if tom is one of the original hostiles or was recuited by ben. and while the hostiles, didn't want dharma on the island, they sure don't mind using their facilities.
Old 05-10-07, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
So, if the producers say that everything on the show is within the realm of possibility and could happen in real life, I'm confused by the Jacob stuff. It can't be a ghost. That would make them liars. If Ben's crazy, how did Locke hear and possibly see someone there?
when did they say that? they said that everything on the island could be explained scientifically/bordering on michael crichton-esque pseudoscience.
Old 05-10-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They initially said that everything could be explained scientifically, but later changed their stance on that (in one of the podcasts) to pseudo-science. So they are allowing themselves some liberties in the science-fiction realm of things.
Old 05-10-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha540
when did they say that? they said that everything on the island could be explained scientifically/bordering on michael crichton-esque pseudoscience.
Initially they did. I don't podcast or follow the show outside of what's on TV, so I'd not known they changed their stance. That's major weaksauce.
Old 05-10-07, 11:57 PM

i don't know if this has been brought up before but i thought it was an interesting theory. found this over at the abc board. basically whatever's happening on the island is the philadelphia experiment with some slight changes. check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment
Old 05-11-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I thought the eye shot was Ben?
Closeup of Locke (Greenish-blue eyes)

Closeup of Ben (Greenish-blue eyes)

Closeup of Jacob (Dark, brown eye)
Old 05-11-07, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
With all this talk about Jacob looking like Locke, it makes me wonder, did Locke hear himself? Could he have somehow been hearing himself say "Help Me" in the ditch at the end, and THAT'S the reason Ben couldn't hear it? It's sort of a Catch-22, Locke saying he heard someone say "help me" at the end is entirely dependent on him hearing it at the lodge which could have been him hearing what he'd say in the ditch.
Regardless of whether that is plausible, it's not a Catch-22
Old 05-11-07, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Zizz
Regardless of whether that is plausible, it's not a Catch-22
"Sort of" a Catch-22. I know it's not an actual Catch-22 -- It's hard to think of any really good examples of a Catch-22 bar the one presented in the book, but the argument here was that both instances/occurences depend entirely on the other to exist, so it's a logically impossible situation.
Old 05-11-07, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Sort of" a Catch-22. I know it's not an actual Catch-22 -- It's hard to think of any really good examples of a Catch-22 bar the one presented in the book, but the argument here was that both instances/occurences depend entirely on the other to exist, so it's a logically impossible situation.
But isn't your theory a logically possible situation, not an impossible one? There are 2 instances / occurrences that depend on the other to exist, but your theory is that both indeed exist, not that it's impossible for one of them to exist and thus impossible for the other to occur. There could be some circularity involved (x only if y, and y only if x), but a catch-22 deals, as you stated, with impossibility, and not circularity. (In a catch-22: x only if y; if y, then not x (therefore x cannot obtain)).

Last edited by The Zizz; 05-11-07 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok. The verdict, then: it's not a Catch-22. Glad that's established now.

Grasping the concept of a Catch-22 is really hard. None of the Catch-22's in the episode "Catch-22" (being Desmond's reason for the trek in the first place, and the Charlie sacrifice/Penny meeting situation) were of the "x only if y; if y, then not x" nature either. Yet they still found it apt to name an episode by it.

I was just putting it out there that with all the talk of Locke=Jacob that Locke may have somehow been hearing himself. Yeah, calling it a Catch-22 was probably the wrong idea, but my intentions were for the point of discussion to really be whether or not Locke somehow heard himself. Not debating to the death whether it fits the hard-and-fast definition of a Catch-22.
Old 05-11-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Closeup of Locke (Greenish-blue eyes)

Closeup of Ben (Greenish-blue eyes)

I do not believe that the close up of the eye was Jacobs. I think it's Locke.
Old 05-11-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I do not believe that the close up of the eye was Jacobs. I think it's Locke.
I don't know whether or not you were trying to be sarcastic here, but Locke's eyes are clearly light green, and the eye shown is clearly not. They didn't want to reveal Jacob's face which is why they framed the eye only, or the silhouette only.
Old 05-11-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So did Locke killing his dead have anything to do with Henry killing his own dad? Like was it some kind of test to lead the others?
Old 05-11-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like Jack's eye to me.
Old 05-11-07, 08:30 AM

I don't know whether or not you were trying to be sarcastic here, but Locke's eyes are clearly light green, and the eye shown is clearly not. They didn't want to reveal Jacob's face which is why they framed the eye only, or the silhouette only.
I think it's too difficult to tell who it is based solely on the eye color. The close up of the eye is in dark surroundings with very little light being reflected from the eye, unlike those shots of Locke and Ben. I think it could just as easily be Locke as it could be Ben.

But I have to agree with Struz... based on the shape and features, it looks like Jack's eye to me, too.
Old 05-11-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have felt since season 1, and still feel, that Locke is somehow a major key to the whole thing. Of all the Losties, he's certainly been the most important to the overall progression of the story. You could even make the argument that he has been the central character of the show, in fact. No way he dies.
Old 05-11-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by MoviePage
I have felt since season 1, and still feel, that Locke is somehow a major key to the whole thing. Of all the Losties, he's certainly been the most important to the overall progression of the story. You could even make the argument that he has been the central character of the show, in fact. No way he dies.
He is the one that found the hatch/Swan and trekked to the Pearl as well. He also discovered the Black Rock if I'm not mistaken. He has been an integral part of the show and a great character to watch. I like the fact that he shows the many sides of humanity that we don't get from other characters like Jack, Charlie, Claire, etc.
Old 05-11-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Jacob = Mikhail it would make a lot of sense to me. He's come and gone as he pleases, he looks similar to Jacob, it would explain his coming back from the dead and not being psised at Locke about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.