Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race All Stars -- "Oh My God, the Teletubbies Go To War" -- 04/29/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race All Stars -- "Oh My God, the Teletubbies Go To War" -- 04/29/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I hated the hippies!!!
DOUBLE TTOW!!
Old 05-01-07, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, at least the fake Mirna accent vs real Mirna accent debate has been put to rest. Only she's a big enough idiot to actually think that might work.

Is this the weakest final 3 ever? Only one team deserves to be there. Charla and Mirna just plain suck at directions, challenges, and life and Danielle and Eric aren't much better (remember when they were a full 24 hours behind the rest of the pack in the Poland leg?).
Old 05-01-07, 07:29 AM

So is the finale only a one hour event? really surprised by two of the three final teams. I would never have picked team telletubby to make it this far.
Old 05-01-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder why Phil never mentions to Mirna & Charla that they could be the first all girl team to win AR? He only mentions it to Dustin and Candace. Maybe so he can see them jump up and down?
Old 05-01-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm actually rooting for Charla and Mirna, who honestly thought they would get this far? Yeah, Mirna is pretty annoying, but is she any more annoying than the BQ's and Eric/Danielle, definitely not. And I'd like to see Charla win it. That would be a pretty big upset for the show.

As for the GPS it was explained to Danielle by her more cooperative solider, that she should not press the buttons on the sides of the GPS either. That was not explained to Charla, and I would think that would have been pretty helpful to her.

I think the final is 1 Hour, which works out nicely with not intefering with the start of The Sopranos and Entourage.
Old 05-01-07, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I'm actually rooting for Charla and Mirna, who honestly thought they would get this far? Yeah, Mirna is pretty annoying, but is she any more annoying than the BQ's and Eric/Danielle...
Yes.

Did anyone else feel a little bad for Danielle during the roadblock? She kept repeating, "Eric is going to kill me," over and over and crying.
Old 05-01-07, 09:19 AM
Banned

I'm actually rooting for Charla and Mirna, who honestly thought they would get this far?
Someone who predicted that they would have two 4-hour headstarts and one 3-hour head start on all other teams (all of which they subsequently "lost").

Yeah, Mirna is pretty annoying, but is she any more annoying than the BQ's and Eric/Danielle, definitely not.
Definately yes. The BQs aren't annoying at all -- they just race logically (yielding the teams behind them when necessary, which is just good racin'). Danielle cries and complains (which is annoying), but her complaining is 1/10th that of Charla, who is completely worthless on this race despite her size (she's afraid of everything and has no common sense -- she just does what Mirna says). Mirna, on the other hand, is a moron. She tries to manipulate people (like Rob) but, (unlike Rob) she sucks at it. Her strategy is just jumping in front of people in airport lines, yelling (which is highly offensive in many eastern cultures, which is why people look they don't know how to react to her) and crying about everything ("it's a matter of life and death"), and using that stupid fake accent all over the place for no good reason. The only reason they're still in it is that they've had some major breaks on flights and that every other team in the race wants them in the finals.

Then don't get me started on the fact that Mirna thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread ("I graduated law school at age 23... Did I mention that graduated law school at 23? ...Oh, my greatest accomplishment? Graduating law school when I was 23." and "We are the best team to ever race. We have to be to get this far with such a handicap"), when she's really a moran.

And I'd like to see Charla win it. That would be a pretty big upset for the show.
They're the Sanjaya of TAR. People will say "oh, wouldn't it be funny to see them win... no one would expect it", but in reality, if they won it would completely invalidate the integrity and skill required for the race.

As much as I hated Rob and Amber, at least they had skill (I just disagreed with their methods).

As for the GPS it was explained to Danielle by her more cooperative solider, that she should not press the buttons on the sides of the GPS either. That was not explained to Charla, and I would think that would have been pretty helpful to her.
That guy explained it to her at least 5 times during the show, not to mention the times that weren't aired, and she continued to do it. In her defense, though, it looked like there were buttons on the side of the GPS and on the screen, so she was probably hitting them inadvertently when she was running or climbing through the bush.
Old 05-01-07, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vinhj
Yes.

Did anyone else feel a little bad for Danielle during the roadblock? She kept repeating, "Eric is going to kill me," over and over and crying.
I get the feeling that their relationship is pretty much over... and that it wasn't her decision.

Knowing producers, I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them just went on a date or two before they were offered the spot on TAR:AS.
Old 05-01-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It just pisses me off that this race/show could be run 10 times better than it is. How many times this season have we spent 30 minutes watching airport crap. In this episode alone they spent time on the ChaCha's making that flight when it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the next task didn't open for many hours. They really need to cut out the fake suspense at the end because its just an insult. If they planned the race better then it wouldn't come down to a bad cab ride or the last standby ticket. That is not racing. Oh well. I'll keep watching and probably keep complaining about these same things.
Old 05-01-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, Mirna is pretty annoying, but is she any more annoying than the BQ's and Eric/Danielle
She is probably the most annoying person ever on reality TV, and this includes such people as Anna-Nicole, most of the Real World/Road Rules idiots, the Flavor Flav skanks, and Britney Spears.

Not sure how the BQ's are annoying, unless by annoying you mean that they are confident, pretty, and play-to-win racers.
Old 05-01-07, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BDLOU
If they planned the race better then it wouldn't come down to a bad cab ride or the last standby ticket. That is not racing. Oh well. I'll keep watching and probably keep complaining about these same things.
That's the best part of the show. If the show was only about winning challenges and completing tasks, then what's the point of having it in different locations each episode?

The ticketing issue is one of the best parts of the show and strategy can play a major role. For instance, Charla and Mirna (:shudder: I'm going to say something nice about them) are solely in the race because of their ability to find good tickets. An example would be when they jumped on the internet one episode and used a travel website to book a flight that none of the other teams, who were asking at the airport, knew about. It also leads to suspense. If you knew that every team had the same 4:30 flight from Argentina to South Africa, would there be any rush before 4:30? Every team would just compete to make sure that they got to the airport on time, not that they got there first (and maybe get the last two tickets on the first flight).

Then there's the personality issues... how people deal with the counter agents and plead with the gate attendent to reopen a flight can make a huge difference in their success (see Uchenna & Joyce on the last leg of their winning season).

I agree that I'm not a big fan of cab rides, though. I much prefer when they self-navigate (I don't think they should be allowed to follow a cabbie, either, but I guess that goes to money management). I'm sure the TAR tries to minimize the cab legs, but sometimes it just can't be avoided (come countries do not let you drive without a native license, some countries have really bad drivers and it's not advised to drive, some countries do not let women drive, etc.).
Old 05-01-07, 11:45 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With several teams getting a day behind this season because of airport situations, I think the time they've spent showing airport maneuvering is justified. While flight issues ultimately didn't make a difference for Oswald & Danny on this last episode, the real possibility of getting way behind led us to believe there was a chance missing the flight could cost them elimination. As much as I don't want E&D to win, they are the only team in this race to fall a day behind a still survive. Fortunately for them they weren't a day behind everybody, just the leaders.
Old 05-01-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matta
That's the best part of the show. If the show was only about winning challenges and completing tasks, then what's the point of having it in different locations each episode?

The ticketing issue is one of the best parts of the show and strategy can play a major role. For instance, Charla and Mirna (:shudder: I'm going to say something nice about them) are solely in the race because of their ability to find good tickets. An example would be when they jumped on the internet one episode and used a travel website to book a flight that none of the other teams, who were asking at the airport, knew about. It also leads to suspense. If you knew that every team had the same 4:30 flight from Argentina to South Africa, would there be any rush before 4:30? Every team would just compete to make sure that they got to the airport on time, not that they got there first (and maybe get the last two tickets on the first flight).

Then there's the personality issues... how people deal with the counter agents and plead with the gate attendent to reopen a flight can make a huge difference in their success (see Uchenna & Joyce on the last leg of their winning season).

I agree that I'm not a big fan of cab rides, though. I much prefer when they self-navigate (I don't think they should be allowed to follow a cabbie, either, but I guess that goes to money management). I'm sure the TAR tries to minimize the cab legs, but sometimes it just can't be avoided (come countries do not let you drive without a native license, some countries have really bad drivers and it's not advised to drive, some countries do not let women drive, etc.).
I do like some of the airport stuff but I think they need to edit out a lot more and have better tasks. It seems the same airport situation was repeated almost every episode this season. Almost every week I would look at the clock and we'd be 20 minutes in and all I saw was Charla and Mirna being extremely rude and a random couple getting left behind (usually E&D). Along with this, it happened too many times that the couple that got left behind was so far out of it that it was over right then. That isn't fun to watch. I agree they should be put in the back but they should atleast have an opportunity to catch the second to last team if they did everything perfect.
Old 05-01-07, 09:20 PM

The problem for me is that I don't care about the three teams left. You have one team that should have been eliminated--Eric and Danielle--and you have one team where one participant is insane--Mirna. The blondes just don't do it for me so unless Charla can win by herself I have no real interest.

It's amusing to me that the teams in interviews say they like Charla, but have nothing nice to say about Mirna. In the deleted scenes, she comes across as amusing, but in the race, she's a nightmare. I wonder what the blondes did because no one has a kind word to say about them. I really wish they would release some of the non-race stuff.
Old 05-01-07, 11:11 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Charla and Mirna win, they seem the most deserving. Just hope Eric doesn't win, he's a miserable wanker.
Old 05-01-07, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
I hope Charla and Mirna win, they seem the most deserving. Just hope Eric doesn't win, he's a miserable wanker.
I would like Charla to win just because of who she had to race with, but not Mirna, her holier than thou attitude gets on my nerves. Eric and Danielle would be worse they do nothing but complain and they are not a former team. I really like the BQ and would be happy to see them as the 1st all female team to win, with that I fully expect them to come in last.

Last edited by 1998Nole; 05-01-07 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
She is probably the most annoying person ever on reality TV, and this includes such people as Anna-Nicole, most of the Real World/Road Rules idiots, the Flavor Flav skanks, and Britney Spears.

Not sure how the BQ's are annoying, unless by annoying you mean that they are confident, pretty, and play-to-win racers.
I watch my fair share of Reality, come on. Marcel on Top Chef, Somilierre Guy the year before, Johnny FairPlay in Survivor, with countless others on seasons of Survivor who are too numerous to mention.

Give me a break, she rubs you raw, sure, but if you make it to the finals you're a pretty good player and pretty smart. Annoying yes, legendary annoying, not for me.

BQ's are sneaky and I find them pretty annoying, nice to look at, but annoying nonetheless.

To each his own...
Old 05-02-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how are the BQ's annoying? unless by annoying, you mean annoyingly beautiful. or they were the girls you could never get in high school (if you're a guy) or ever be friends with in h.s. (if you're a girl).

other than that, they didn't show any annoying qualities throughout the season, unlike some other teams, where you don't even have to think to point it out.

I'm curious, what is annoying about the BQs?
Old 05-02-07, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Win or lose at this point, Charla and Mirna are already the victors of this Race in a purely spritual sense. No surprise that they were the only team that leaped at the chance to do the humanitarian Detour, despite the fact that they knew their task would probably take longer than cleaning the plane. You can accuse them of not being as crafty as the other teams, but it shows that they're not simply all about the money and would rather help someone in need even if it means they have play catch up later on. No surprise that they were rewarded for their generosity by finishing in the top three, while Danny and Oswald were once again tripped up by their bad Yield karma.

Danielle has a nice rack.
They may be humanitarians, but Mirna is the most condescending person that we've seen. She treats Charla like crap.

No, I think Mirna is a humanitarian just because she wants people to think she is a good person. But God see's her heart and it is vile.

Chris
Old 05-02-07, 11:09 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
how are the BQ's annoying? unless by annoying, you mean annoyingly beautiful. or they were the girls you could never get in high school (if you're a guy) or ever be friends with in h.s. (if you're a girl).

other than that, they didn't show any annoying qualities throughout the season, unlike some other teams, where you don't even have to think to point it out.

You expressed my thoughts exactly.
Old 05-02-07, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
ok, they were acting like the "humanitarian" challenge was such a huge feel-good thing.

um, it was a training exercise. They weren't actually dropping supplies for anyone - plus, charla and mirna were just throwing crap in the box. I wonder how many things they broke...

now, it would have been cool to go up in the plane. but to act like you're kind-hearted and giving because you did that challenge? Please.
Yeah, thank you for reminding me how 'humanitariangly' Mirna was throwing the items into the box. She could care less how these supplies arrive at there destination and how they would help people.

Wouldn't it be funny if Charla & Mirna are in a foot race to the finish for first with one of the other teams and Mirna is screaming at Charla "hurry Charla, hurry'" and then Mirna trips and falls on her face just feet from the finish line and the other team wins.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-02-07 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
There is no such frickin' thing as Karma!!!

Chris
Old 05-02-07, 11:19 AM

Yeah, Mirna is pretty annoying, but is she any more annoying than the BQ's and Eric/Danielle, definitely not. And I'd like to see Charla win it. That would be a pretty big upset for the show.
Uh, yes she is. There is no comparison to how condescendingly annoying she is. But I like Charla and wouldn't mind her winning.

And yes, it is a 1 hour finale! It should have been a 2 hour finale, with this hour and next weeks hour combined.

Chris
Old 05-02-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent_MN

Well Dustin is beautiful. I have no idea how Kandice was a beauty queen. Not only is she not beautiful, shes down right ugly.
Old 05-02-07, 01:17 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Well Dustin is beautiful. I have no idea how Kandice was a beauty queen. Not only is she not beautiful, shes down right ugly.
Me thinks you exaggerate a little.

Kandice:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.