The Amazing Race All Stars -- "The Way You Look, Yeah" -- 04/08/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race All Stars -- "The Way You Look, Yeah" -- 04/08/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot all about U/J, up until the BQs finished. Not smart of them to take such a risky flight this late in the race. Oh well, not fan of theirs anyway.

I just can't believe Charla/Mirna are still in this thing. Gotta admire their nerve though. Shut out E/D from the computers, then want to ask a question ahead of the BQs and E/D at the ticket counter. lol

From the preview next week:

Spoiler:
"Beauty queen sandwich" Yes please, I'll take one.

Should be a non-elimnation next week I think.
Old 04-09-07, 12:28 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JM
The clue for the Detour, at least as described by Phil, stated that teams must travel ON FOOT to the cookies/stamps challenge. Mirna and Schmirna took a cab to the cookie challenge then again to the stamps one when they decided to switch. Eric and Danielle also took a cab to the cookies. Why did neither team receive a penalty?

I saw that as well. Maybe they did get a penalty and it was edited out as irrelevant,
Old 04-09-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Glad to see Uchenna and Joyce get eliminated (although "eliminated" might be too soft a word. "Obliterated" is more like it) -- a more boring couple I have not met.

Yay for Charla and Mirna. They proved that they are the classiest racers around by refusing to Yield anyone.

Meanwhile the Bimbos -- er the Blondes were idiots to Yield D & E when U & J were so far behind that there was no way a Yield was going to make any difference. Yielding someone = bad karma. I suspect that some sort of karmic payback is in store for the Yield Queens.

Danielle has nice boobs.
Old 04-09-07, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Yay for Charla and Mirna. They proved that they are the classiest racers around by refusing to Yield anyone.
You are joking, right???
Old 04-09-07, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A disappearing U&J completely took away any tension about who came in last. It made me laugh at the forced AR editing there at the end even more than normal.
Old 04-09-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Each episode I hate Charla and Mirna more and more.
Old 04-09-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Meanwhile the Bimbos -- er the Blondes were idiots to Yield D & E when U & J were so far behind that there was no way a Yield was going to make any difference. Yielding someone = bad karma. I suspect that some sort of karmic payback is in store for the Yield Queens.
None of the other teams necessarily knew what was going on with Uchenna and Joyce. For all they knew, they made the connecting flight.
Old 04-09-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Interesting that Eric called the BQ's hookers considering the skank he is racing with.

Mirna: "I wonder where Eric and Danielle is?" Nice language skills, dumbass.

It was stupid to use the yield at that point. Not only is there another one coming, meaning E/D are probably going to yield them back, but they likely can tell by looking at the pictures that only one team had gotten there before them so it wasn't really necessary.

Last night was more proof why bunching is a good thing for the race since the last 55 minutes didn't even matter. This has happened too many times this season.
Old 04-09-07, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silt
Spoiler:
"Beauty queen sandwich" Yes please, I'll take one.

Should be a non-elimnation next week I think.
Spoiler:
Haven't we used them up? Two so far. Two or three per season?
Old 04-09-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
None of the other teams necessarily knew what was going on with Uchenna and Joyce. For all they knew, they made the connecting flight.

Yep - for all they knew at that point, U&J were ahead of them so it would have been a battle to avoid being last. I have no problem strategically with the Blondes yielding E&D.

As for looking at the pictures in the Yield box, I assume they all stay in the box (except for the yielding and yielded team) so that you don't know who has been there yet. If you happen to Yield a team that has already gotten there, nothing happens.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-09-07 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 08:24 AM
Banned

Dustin
Old 04-09-07, 09:00 AM

U/J were stupid to take such a risk by taking the flight with a tight connection, especially out of a large, busy airport like Frankfurt. After Uchenna's pep talk to Charla and Mirna and his "history lesson" about slavery to the BQ's on the boat a couple episodes ago, I won't miss them. Only something like this would have made their elimination better:

Uchenna (to guy a late arrivals desk in Frankfurt): Please, sir I need to get on this flight
Late Arrivals Guy: I'm sorry sir, the flight is closed.
Uchenna: Please. It's a matter of life and death.
LAG: Let me call the airline representative. You can talk to him.
Uchenna(speaking into phone): Please, it's very important that we get on this flight. It's a matter of life and death.
Rob (on the other end of the phone): Hello Uchenna.

I also think that the BQ's used the yield smartly, given that they had no way of knowing that U/J were hopelessly behind (or even where they were). They thought that they were in a 3-way (mmmm BQ 3-way ) race for last place and decided to use the yield to delay the team they thought would be their toughest competition.
Old 04-09-07, 09:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Last night was more proof why bunching is a good thing for the race since the last 55 minutes didn't even matter. This has happened too many times this season.
I'm not even sure bunching would have helped the Uchenna/Joyce situation, because they were the first team to leave (along with Oswald/Danny) and made that dumbass decision on their own. It's not like the producers could have found a way to realistically delay all the other racers a day or whatever it was they were behind. It's one thing to use bunching to even out the teams at the very beginning of a leg, but you can't use it to fix the game every team a team majorly screws up in the middle of a leg.

There seems to be a really weird thing going on with flights this season. I've never seen a season where so many teams have had such major problems with flights and made such awful travel decisions.
Old 04-09-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Each episode I hate Charla and Mirna more and more.
Why would they need your love when ALL of Malaysia loves them!
Old 04-09-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am actually enjoying this season more since we don't have an obvious alpha-male team that seems destined to win it all. It is making it more interesting to watch.
Old 04-09-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm not even sure bunching would have helped the Uchenna/Joyce situation, because they were the first team to leave (along with Oswald/Danny) and made that dumbass decision on their own. It's not like the producers could have found a way to realistically delay all the other racers a day or whatever it was they were behind. It's one thing to use bunching to even out the teams at the very beginning of a leg, but you can't use it to fix the game every team a team majorly screws up in the middle of a leg.
Agreed. In this case it was out of their hands. I was just using last night's no-suspense episode as an example of what would be commonplace if they did not bunch the teams up on a regular basis.
Old 04-09-07, 10:18 AM
JIF

Originally Posted by JasonF
:"These are the future Mirnas and Charlas of the world."
God save humanity...
Old 04-09-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I missed the first 10 minutes of the episode...and boy was I surprised at the end. I didn't see them at the beginning, so I had completely forgotten about Uchenna & Joyce. And I was all worried about Oswald & Danny getting eliminated. So when Phil said they were the 4th team to arrive (but not the last), I was like, whaaaaaaa??? Then they cut to Uchenna & Joyce arriving and it completely blew my mind. I haven't seen a team get so little screentime since The Guidos during the Season 1 finale.
Old 04-09-07, 10:37 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think we've seen a team so completely eliminated like that since the Gutsy Grannies.

I have no respect for the teams that take the Yields so personally and start name-calling based on that. It's part of the game. Get over it.

If you haven't seen them, I recommend watching some of the Elimination Station videos on the TAR website at cbs.com. There are some interesting tidbits about who the eliminated teams think are the strongest remaining teams.
Old 04-09-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jim

I have no respect for the teams that take the Yields so personally and start name-calling based on that. It's part of the game. Get over it.
Agreed. Of course you are going to be frustrated and sorta hacked about it, but saying that it is unsportsmanlike or a dirty play is silly.

I would love to see a season with nothing but hardcore players who will do anything to win. It would be fun to see what teams would do to outwit the other teams. I'm not talking anything truly dirty (putting sugar in gas tanks, etc.), but instead things that already happen (telling a travel agent not to help the next team, etc.). That way no one would have a reason to get pissed as everyone is doing underhanded things.
Old 04-09-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree, Jim. They all say "We play the game right. We're not going to play dirty and yield."

um, the yield is part of the game!
Old 04-09-07, 10:53 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was glad to see Uchenna & Joyce eliminated it made no sense what so ever to have a team that had already won it all participate in the race.
Old 04-09-07, 10:54 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lest anyone think that Danny and Oswald don't do anything underhanded, check out Ian's Elimination Station rant about them. It was like he was talking about a different team than the edit that we get.
Old 04-09-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How come the show never tells you how long the yield lasts? Maybe it's the editing but it never seems like it is all that long to me.
Old 04-09-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
How come the show never tells you how long the yield lasts? Maybe it's the editing but it never seems like it is all that long to me.

It used to be 15 minutes but they they got the hourglass thing and don't tell you how long it is anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.