DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office "Diwali" 11/02/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482531-office-diwali-11-02-06-a.html)

Sex Fiend 11-03-06 12:18 AM

I thought this ep was better than the last few weeks, if not especially hilarious. It was good to see Dwight more in the background again, where he is much funnier. Also, Michael making an ass of himself (yet again) in his attempt to impress a woman.

The little storyline with Pam and Roy was nice, too. Jenna Fischer is gold, and has seemed to stay truer to the tone of her character than some of the others in the cast so far this season.

Still not feeling it for the Stamford people though. I had hopes at the beginning of the first Stamford scene when Andy seemed a bit toned down from previous weeks. Then the whole jager drinking scene just fell flat for me.

Bill Needle 11-03-06 12:25 AM

Fantastic episode. The meeting scene alone made this one a winner.

Angela: (to Kelly) How many gods do you have? And that blue busty gal? What's her story?
Kevin: She looks like Pam from the neck down.
Dwight: Heh-heh...Pam wishes. (stunned look from Pam, laughter)

Michael: (to Dwight's explanation of the history of Diwali) All right, all right...this isn't Lord of the Rings.

Michael: M. Night Shyamalan...The Village, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense...
Dwight: I see dead people.
Michael: Okay! (muttering) ...spoiler alert...
Dwight: He was dead the whole time.
Michael: Just stop it!

GreenVulture 11-03-06 12:51 AM

I can definitely see next week opening with Jim waking up in bed with Karen and he checks his phone and sees his text message from Pam.
Damn, if that happens, Jim must be pretty lenient with the camera crew regarding what they can film. ;)

Loved the ep overall, a definite improvement over the last couple of episodes. I don't know about the rest of you, but when Michael talked to Kelly's parents and then headed towards the microphone, I knew what was going to happen, and literally covered my face with my hands throughout the entire proposal; just hearing it was painful enough.

Heartagram 11-03-06 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

made me laugh out loud.

lots of great moments, my most enjoyed episode this season.

HE Pennypacker 11-03-06 05:24 AM

B.J.'s line about wanting to travel and purchase an XBOX were hilarious. Kelly's parents' reaction was funny as well.

movieking 11-03-06 06:38 AM

Loved the XBOX line. Poor Ryan.

What was it that the Indian guy said to Pam after she said she couldn't believe what Michael did? After he replied, she excused herself to go text Jim.

I really think that Michael is going to get bumped down to salesman again, since it is obviously something he is very good at. If Chip is not the manager of the combined branches, I think that it will be Jim.

bralph 11-03-06 07:19 AM

"These... are not my shoes"

I laughed so hard at that, and I was actually hoping that it would be the only line of that car scene. Just that, the uncomfortable silence, then cutting away to Jim/Karen.

Groucho 11-03-06 08:02 AM

The "Diwali Song" was possibly the funniest moment this show has had to date. I had tears coming from my eyes. The only problem was that Michael isn't that funny.

lordwow 11-03-06 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
B.J.'s line about wanting to travel and purchase an XBOX were hilarious. Kelly's parents' reaction was funny as well.

I almost forgot about that, my favorite part of that line was his pause, he could tell the parents were expecting more than "travel" and he blurts out "and an Xbox" which was perfect.

Tracer Bullet 11-03-06 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
The "Diwali Song" was possibly the funniest moment this show has had to date. I had tears coming from my eyes. The only problem was that Michael isn't that funny.

I don't know if I agree with that. All the heavy lifting was done for him- all Michael had to do was come up with some rhymes for Diwali and have the ability to carry a tune.

darkside 11-03-06 09:14 AM

I loved the whole episode and that was probably the ultimate cap for it. Probably laughed as much tonight as I have in awhile for any show.

uteotw 11-03-06 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker

I especially liked the way Ryan's face lit up when he said, "Oh! And an XBox."
(I'm sure he meant the 360.)

Brent L 11-03-06 09:36 AM

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/528...allbikemw6.gif

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3...amdancesk1.gif

boogieman03 11-03-06 09:40 AM

rotfl

cdollaz 11-03-06 09:42 AM

Michael's dancing was gold.

Chrisedge 11-03-06 09:54 AM

Great Episode.

And just because this forum isn't overflowing with praise for this season, doesn't mean sqwat. I think the show is as great as ever, and I haven't posted any comments so far this year. People tend to bitch when they are unhappy and not say anything when they are happy.

I want the Diwali song on my iPod.

Jobronie 11-03-06 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I don't know if I agree with that. All the heavy lifting was done for him- all Michael had to do was come up with some rhymes for Diwali and have the ability to carry a tune.

Agree, the song practically wrote itself. Melody was (The Great) Sandler's; all that's left is finding a few words to rhyme with Diwali, and of course, having the balls to actually sing it (with an accent, no less).

Really funny part for me was that the crowd actually loved it; I was expecting to see jaw-dropping, open-mouthed shock on everyone......

Patman 11-03-06 10:09 AM

Nice wreck on Jim.
Nick rack on Pam.

Achtung 11-03-06 10:20 AM

Too many funny bits, as were mentioned, from the "meeting" to "and an Xbox" to Michael's song at the end. Just golden all the way around.

They'll keep the Karen-Jim thing going as a tease, I figure.

printerati 11-03-06 10:25 AM

Michael: (to Dwight's explanation of the history of Diwali) All right, all right...this isn't Lord of the Rings.

My wife and I lost it at this bit. I was dying at the Sandler bit as well, but she wasn't, so I can only assume she isn't familiar with the original song.

SuperBatMan 11-03-06 10:27 AM

I had forgot about the Xbox line. That was great.

Also the beginning when Michael's making fun of Ryan for what he's wearing. Then, Pam and Kelly start saying how good Ryan looks in it, and Michael asks 'Where..where's mine?'. rotfl

Draven 11-03-06 10:36 AM

On a side note, apparently those were actually Mindy Kaling's parents.

Sex Fiend 11-03-06 11:54 AM

I agree that the "spoiler alert" line was brilliant. Cracked up big time at that one.

I kind of agree with that. The song was very funny, but perhaps just a bit too witty to believe that Michael could come up with it, given what he usually thinks is funny.

maingon 11-03-06 12:11 PM

pam looked good this episode

DRG 11-03-06 12:32 PM

Great episode and a huge improvement over the last one. The Stamford stuff was only so-so humorwise this week but I think it did a good job of opening up a new level to the Jim/Karen relationship.