DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office "Diwali" 11/02/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482531-office-diwali-11-02-06-a.html)

dick_grayson 11-02-06 08:02 PM

brilliant episode :up:

stingermck 11-02-06 08:03 PM

Man, this was like watching Curb your Enthusiasm. Just cringing when you know what Micheal is about to say. Great Ep!

Steam 11-02-06 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
But it was warm. :wacko:

That was pretty ponderous but still props for the Jager and not some generic Vodka or something of that ilk.

Nausicaa 11-02-06 08:04 PM

Anyone else think that Karen didn't just give Jim a ride home?

Vipper II 11-02-06 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Anyone else think that Karen didn't just give Jim a ride home?

I hope there's more to it. As much as I like the idea of Jim and Pam, I like the idea of Jim and Karen just as much, if not more. And when Jim was asleep on his desk, I was afraid Karen was going to check out his phone when it was vibrating and see the message from Pam, then get "discouraged". I'd hate for that to happen.

Brian Gentz 11-02-06 08:09 PM

I can definitely see next week opening with Jim waking up in bed with Karen and he checks his phone and sees his text message from Pam.

HE Pennypacker 11-02-06 08:11 PM

You could tell Mindy Kaling wrote this episode. She pretty much nailed every misconception Americans have about Hinduism. The result was ~ 22 minutes of pure hilarity. Aside from that, a lot of progress with the characters was made in this episode, especially with Jim's people.

Joe Molotov 11-02-06 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I can definitely see next week opening with Jim waking up in bed with Karen and he checks his phone and sees his text message from Pam.

Meanwhile, Pam has messages from Roy waiting when she wakes up the next morning with Michael! -eek-

Vipper II 11-02-06 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
You could tell Mindy Kaling wrote this episode. She pretty much nailed every misconception Americans have about Hinduism. The result was ~ 22 minutes of pure hilarity. Aside from that, a lot of progress with the characters was made in this episode, especially with Jim's people.

I much prefer Mindy-penned episodes to B.J. Novak-penned ones. There's just something about Novak's episodes that don't sit right with me.

Jobronie 11-02-06 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Hanukkah song parody :lol:

"A tribute to one of the greats: Mr. Adam Sandler."

HE Pennypacker 11-02-06 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I much prefer Mindy-penned episodes to B.J. Novak-penned ones. There's just something about Novak's episodes that don't sit right with me.

I'd have to re-watch each of their episodes to make sure, but I think I can agree with this. Kaling has been flawless for me. On the other hand, Novak, though quite excellent, has delivered at least one episode that I wasn't too fond of.

dick_grayson 11-02-06 08:28 PM

they both deliver. BJ did the boys and girls ep. which had the Pam scene where she cried. that moment (care of the acting) was perfect. Looking at both writer's credits on imdb, it's hard to big one over the other.

the big train 11-02-06 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II

The only Novak one I clearly remember enjoying was his "The Fire Guy" episode. I thought he could have done a lot better than he did with a visit to the beet farm.

Barings 11-02-06 09:19 PM

The episode was okay. There were certain inside cultural jokes Mindy nailed pretty well:
  • Next generation immigrants (like Kelly) are ignorant of homeland history/traditions
  • South Asians always comment on how fair people are (inside comment: there is a preference to be or date a lighter skinned person)
  • Parents always want a doctor or an engineer for their daughters (and business majors are never good enough :mad: !)

It's clear the writers are biding their time until the branches merge but there were some high points:
  • Michael's impersonation of Kelly
  • Kama Sutra comments by the supporting cast (Meredith, Creed, and Kevin)
  • Dwight walking in to the party in a full kurtha like he's cock of the walk
  • Karen and her skinny arms for the vending machine/Karen reacting to the shots

I thought the episode was somewhat uneven. There were two major weak points: 1) Mindy seemed less humane to some of the characters. Michael trying to kiss Pam when he's so into Carol was over-the-line and Angela was so uptight and abrupt to the point where I actually wanted to smack her. It just pushed the two of them into caricature territory. 2) She could have used the text messages to further push the Jim/Pam/Karen awkwardness further.

P.S. When Pam was driving Michael home, the captions were Air Supply's All Out of Love. It would have been interesting to see how the dynamics of that scene would have played with that song.

MFRONE 11-02-06 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by the big train
The only Novak one I clearly remember enjoying was his "The Fire Guy" episode. I thought he could have done a lot better than he did with a visit to the beet farm.

Not a fan of Diversity Day or Sexual Harassment? Those are two of the best episodes of the series.

cdollaz 11-02-06 09:26 PM

There are so many little funny things on this show. I loved how Pam brushed off Dwight with a quick "maybe" after he suggested that she may have mono.

cdollaz 11-02-06 09:30 PM

I loved Michael sneaking the photo of him kissing Carol into the slideshow and also the blurring of the tits on the pictures on the wall.

lordwow 11-02-06 09:45 PM

I thought the Michael/Pam moment was great, because it's such a Michael thing to do. Especially with all of the stuff Jim has said to him about Pam.

I have to say, I often feel bad for Michael, more so than most dramatic television characters... and then he always does something like that.

maingon 11-02-06 10:24 PM

wow, tonights episode was fantastic, Up there with the best of season 2. I laughed so many times, SO many great lines and moments. Loved all the Pam stuff. I liked the Zach Braff bit too from Garden State.

Fantastic episode!

dick_grayson 11-02-06 10:32 PM

how about how Michael was able to easily fix his costume to a normal suit and Carol was stuck with the cheerleader uniform. He is so wonderfully thoughtless.

Jadzia 11-02-06 11:14 PM

"Do you have anything vegetarian?"
"It's all vegetarian."
"I'll just have the bread."

rotfl

I'm a vegetarian and this reminded me of a girl I once worked with who would say she was a vegetarian except she didn't seem to eat any vegetables.

Patman 11-02-06 11:18 PM

Oh man, so many uncomfortable, but funny bits in this episode.

Michael really went out on the limb, not once, but twice.

Can't believe Michael had the office look at kama sutra illustrated materials.

Drunk riding is funny. Who really brings an inflatable mattress to work?

The tribute to Adam Sandler was great.

MrX 11-02-06 11:21 PM

I liked how the slide show started with the nobel prize winner and then right to Apu:lol:

Creed knowing the name of the position was great and Michael going in for the kiss was awesome.

Jim and Andy singing a Indigo Girls song was hilarious

SuperBatMan 11-02-06 11:57 PM

Michael is so pathetic, it's almost hard to watch. He's so desperate and lonely that he's almost resorting to kissing any girl that's near.:lol:

Draven 11-03-06 12:15 AM

"This is the best meeting we've ever had." :lol:

Another strong episode. Hopefully Jim WON'T wake up in Karen's bed tomorrow and read the message. That's a little too cliche for my tastes (plus it would have to be a talking-head segment anyway, as I doubt the cameras would be there in the bedroom.)

Great stuff with the festival. Even though it was an awkward night, it was interesting to see something like that on a network TV show. I can't think of a lot of Indian-themed episodes (I guess there was that Seinfeld wedding one, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.) Anyway, good stuff.

And I love that they brought back Andy's a cappella "talents."

Oh, and I almost forgot my favorite line: "These...are not my shoes." rotfl