Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07

Anybody explain that?
Not me, I'm lost.
Old 10-16-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by collven
The only problem with them throwing all these other DC characters into this show is that it is making it more and more improbable that this version of Clark Kent would be able to keep his identity secret. I know the show won't really have to address it since they don't plan on showing him becoming Superman, but it's almost impossible to think that, by the time Clark does become Superman, it's not going to be hard for people like Jimmy and Lois to know who Superman really is.
I don't either. It is a new take and it makes it interesting. The smalltown farm life was good for 5 seasons it is time to grow and move on.

Comics fans - do the other superheroes know each others identities? Any of them?
Old 10-16-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It isn't that difficult.

Clark has never been in the "Superboy" uniform or been called "Superboy". There is absolutely no reason they cannot have Clark become an adult and live as Clark Kent. No "Superman", No Tights, No logo.

You may assume this is a story about Superboy becoming Superman. When it has been just the story of Clark Kent. There is not a single bit of evidence to show Clark becomes Superman .... in this show. Maybe in this version of the mythos he doesn't have an alternate identity. He lives out his life as Clark Kent. That is exactly how the story has played out thus far.
Old 10-16-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
Are you sure he becomes Superman? He certainly is NOT Superboy. So why make that assumption. This is a story about Clark Kent.
....no, seriously
Old 10-16-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*shrug* not sure why this is funny.

They have a handful of seasons to tell a story. They have chosen to tell the story of Clark Kent, Not superman, not superboy.
Old 10-16-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
*shrug* not sure why this is funny.

They have a handful of seasons to tell a story. They have chosen to tell the story of Clark Kent, Not superman, not superboy.
Agreed, but I don't understand what not having shown anything about Superboy or Superman has to do with Clark being Clark?

Interesting theory that "what if he stays as Clark and never becomes Superman"... I feel like your prior statement is circular. Just because he's Clark and hasn't become Superman why even allude to Superman elements/mythology? Isn't that the entire point of Smallville?
Old 10-16-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clark Kent is Superman...if not in the context of the show, certainly at a later point. Any other notion is just preposterous. It might even be laughable.

They've only reference Superman elements or hinted at his future about two or three....million...times. And how many blue shirts and red jackets (or vice versa) could one person possibly have?
Old 10-16-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to mention the S-shields they've shown. How about his powers for crying out loud?
The suit does not make him Superman. Who he is makes him Superman. Whether he dons the suit in the final episode or not doesn't matter.
Old 10-16-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by collven
The only problem with them throwing all these other DC characters into this show is that it is making it more and more improbable that this version of Clark Kent would be able to keep his identity secret. I know the show won't really have to address it since they don't plan on showing him becoming Superman, but it's almost impossible to think that, by the time Clark does become Superman, it's not going to be hard for people like Jimmy and Lois to know who Superman really is.
This is the post I was referring to. How would they find out his identity, if he doesn't have one other than Clark Kent. He isn't Superboy, so what makes us think he would become Superman. Maybe he just stays Clark Kent.
Old 10-16-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well "See how you're going to die" psychic boy saw Clark's future and it was a bright red cape with a big gold "S" on it flying through space... it's pretty safe to assume he becomes Superman.
Old 10-17-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
him not being superboy on this show proves or means nothing.

sorry but i think your theory is preposterous.