Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jericho--'Pilot'--9/20/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skeet Ulrich, there is nothing good about what you do or who you are.
Old 09-21-06, 09:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I had the same thought as the majority here...the delivery did not live up to the concept. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as compelling as it should have been.

I'll give it a couple more episodes, but if it goes the same route as Invasion (nothing actually happens), I'll drop it.
Old 09-21-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jericho is this year's Invasion.

Dark, intelligent and a bit slow.

I am in for the season.
Old 09-21-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dammit, I forgot about this. Are they replaying it before the next one?

EDIT: Looks like Saturday evening. Whew.

Last edited by pinata242; 09-21-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CBS is replaying both Jericho and Smith on Saturday night, consult your local listings for timeslot info.
Old 09-21-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I wanted to like this but just couldn't. I was so bored with the main storyline that my wife and I played name that cliche instead. She guessed the prison bus ruse while I was quick to spot the impending emergency tracheotomy. I was also curious as to how Skeet kept his muscle car in an open air parking garage for five years covered by a tarp and had nothing happen to it. And why does he keep a car outside of town if he never comes home? And if he needs money so bad why doesn't he sell said classic car? And if the teacher on the bus only had a broken leg why the hell couldn't she hop around a bit and check on the kids -- not to mention the dead bus driver? And did that deaf girl ever get that pie? Too many questions.
Old 09-21-06, 10:50 AM

There was a deaf girl? Totally missed that.
Old 09-21-06, 10:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
What?
Old 09-21-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing Skeet was in prison.
Old 09-21-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im actually guessing CIA but he cant tell anyone
Old 09-21-06, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
CBS is replaying both Jericho and Smith on Saturday night, consult your local listings for timeslot info.
Speaking of Smith, I had actually put that show on a Season Pass and gave Jericho the single-episode I'll-see-if-I-like-it-first recording. Now after watching both shows, I've given Jericho the Pass and Smith has one more chance to wow me.
Old 09-21-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The approach seems to be: take a bunch of cliche situations (prodigal son with mysterious 5-year absence, family tensions, escaped cons, small-town politics, etc.) and wrap it up in a non-cliche (OMG - it's the bombs!)) blanket. Bet the cliches quickly take over.
Old 09-21-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mittman
I'm surprised not one review I've read has mentioned how similar this is to the book Alas, Babylon. It's literally the same exact story. Have the creators of the show made any reference to the fact that the show is loosely based on the book?
I noticed the similarities, too, although it's been 20 years since I read that book. It also reminded me of Ray Milland's Panic in Year Zero
Old 09-21-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
It might have been the person the guy was signing to.
Old 09-21-06, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It might have been the person the guy was signing to.
I didn't notice any signing. Guess my attention span slips everytime that dreamy Johnny Depp is on screen.
Old 09-21-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
The deaf girl is also on Weeds.
Old 09-21-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
We don't know this was a terrorist attack.

We don't know that Atlanta was blown up.

Witchita, Topeka, Kansas City, Lincoln NE, Tulsa OK, Oklahoma City OK, Colorado Springs CO...there are A LOT of major citys closer to Jericho (whereever in Kansas it is) than Denver and Atlanta...and none of them must have blown up, since they would have seen the mushroom cloud (assuming the one they saw was indeed Denver)...so why is everyone assuming all the major citys are gone? Oh, yeah...poor writing.
Old 09-21-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We DO know that Atlanta was blown up. The kid's mom was in Atlanta when leaving the phone call in which you hear her getting blown to smithereens.

And maybe it wasn't a terrorist attack. Maybe they were 'happiness' bombs set off by the McDonald's corporation, and the good people of Jericho just don't know what they're missing.
Old 09-21-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
We don't know this was a terrorist attack.

We don't know that Atlanta was blown up.

Witchita, Topeka, Kansas City, Lincoln NE, Tulsa OK, Oklahoma City OK, Colorado Springs CO...there are A LOT of major citys closer to Jericho (whereever in Kansas it is) than Denver and Atlanta...and none of them must have blown up, since they would have seen the mushroom cloud (assuming the one they saw was indeed Denver)...so why is everyone assuming all the major citys are gone? Oh, yeah...poor writing.

We don't know what it was.

Isn't Jericho in western KS (based on the mileage sign you see in the beginning when the son is driving)? If so, it is closer to Denver than any other major city, including KC. KC is the only really major city on your list IMO. Therefore, it is not far-fetched that they would only see a Denver explosion.
Old 09-21-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog

Isn't Jericho in western KS (based on the mileage sign you see in the beginning when the son is driving)? If so, it is closer to Denver than any other major city, including KC. KC is the only really major city on your list IMO. Therefore, it is not far-fetched that they would only see a Denver explosion.
They also mentioned a military base nearby. If it is not Denver, perhaps, it was the military base. Also, the plot strongly suggested a terrorist attack as everyone was watching a Presidential address to Congress where he was talking something about a great danger (though that could be aliens!).

Edit: I do get a weird BattleStar Galactica vibe though.
Old 09-21-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Interesting premise, average pilot at best. The two leads (Skeet Ulrich and Ashley Scott) are known more for their physical attributes than their acting abilities which was pretty evident in the pilot. Thankfully, the show has a strong supporting cast.

I'm a sucker for any type of last man/city/civilization show genre so I'll continue watching it.

Originally Posted by Ayre
Jericho is this year's Invasion.

Dark, intelligent and a bit slow.

I am in for the season.
I think that is too early to tell.

Last edited by LorenzoL; 09-21-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Missed this, but I'll probably set the DVR for Saturday's rerun. Sounds like I may not be sticking with it, though...
Old 09-21-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
We DO know that Atlanta was blown up. The kid's mom was in Atlanta when leaving the phone call in which you hear her getting blown to smithereens.
You DON'T know that there was an explosion. You hear the dad go (I'm paraphrasing) "Come look at this!" and the mom go "Oh my god!" and then the phone go static and then dead. All we know is that the power/phone got cut off...we don't know what the father saw or if there was an explosion. Everyone THINKS he saw a missle or the beginnings of an explosion, but he could have saw ANYTHING, including, perhaps, a UFO.
Old 09-21-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog

I guess it depends on your definition of "major"...but they are all cities, as opposed to towns. They are certainly all nuclear targets. Denver is big, but Colorado Springs ain't peanuts. Nor is Oklahoma City.

OKLAHOMA CITY:
Old 09-21-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You DON'T know that there was an explosion. You hear the dad go (I'm paraphrasing) "Come look at this!" and the mom go "Oh my god!" and then the phone go static and then dead. All we know is that the power/phone got cut off...we don't know what the father saw or if there was an explosion. Everyone THINKS he saw a missle or the beginnings of an explosion, but he could have saw ANYTHING, including, perhaps, a UFO.
Actually I think it's pretty clear you do hear an explosion before the phone goes dead.

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
The deaf girl is also on Weeds.
Just because she can't hear doesn't mean she should resort to marijuana .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.