DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Jericho--'Pilot'--9/20/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/478219-jericho-pilot-9-20-06-a.html)

SuperBatMan 09-20-06 07:06 AM

Jericho--'Pilot'--9/20/06

Spoiler:
After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality.

Looking forward to this. I've heard great reviews of it so we'll see how it is.

Chew 09-20-06 07:08 AM

Great premise. The pilot floundered a bit, but it's certainly a show I have on Season Pass.

LorenzoL 09-20-06 07:23 AM

I'm looking forward to it.

Mopower 09-20-06 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Spoiler:
After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality.

Looking forward to this. I've heard great reviews of it so we'll see how it is.

Who wrote that description? No where in the pilot do we find out that
Spoiler:
it was a terrorist attack?
I think the best part of the show was not knowing what happened.

FantasticVSDoom 09-20-06 08:08 AM

Well, this is set to record tonight, but I worry because none of these "mystery" shows have caught on with me yet. This one looks pretty good so Ill give it a shot.

Geofferson 09-20-06 08:47 AM

I'm looking forward to this. For the curious, the pilot is directed by Jon Turteltaub (National Treasure, Phenomenon).

Red Dog 09-20-06 09:48 AM

The reviews haven't exactly been glowing.

Michael Corvin 09-20-06 10:05 AM

I was on the bubble about adding this to my season pass list, but since my Wednesday's are pretty empty, other than Lost, I'm going to give it a shot. I like the premise, so we will see.

treszoks 09-20-06 10:10 AM

Like someone else said, the premise is good but the pilot is so-so.

Mittman 09-20-06 11:54 AM

I'm surprised not one review I've read has mentioned how similar this is to the book Alas, Babylon. It's literally the same exact story. Have the creators of the show made any reference to the fact that the show is loosely based on the book?

Cusm 09-20-06 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mittman
I'm surprised not one review I've read has mentioned how similar this is to the book Alas, Babylon. It's literally the same exact story. Have the creators of the show made any reference to the fact that the show is loosely based on the book?

They have a Navy in Kansas?! ;)

Original Desmond 09-20-06 06:36 PM

Would you believe that this show is debuting on Australian TV on basically the same day !

That has gotta be a first. Normally it takes weeks if not months for new TV shows to hit Australian TV

GradVT06 09-20-06 07:17 PM

Wasn't really gonna watch it.... but caught it going through the guide and didn't see anything else on, so I started watching at the beginning and got intrigued right away. I'll give it a shot.

SuperBatMan 09-20-06 07:45 PM

I'm liking it so far.

The characters are pretty meh, and the acting is nothing to write home about, but it's still an interesting premise.

Lateralus 09-20-06 07:57 PM

Not as good as I hoped but I still like it I will watch again.
Spoiler:
I wonder how many other cities got hit and the scene where the boy tells everybody that his mom was in Atlanta and not Denver is pretty good.

meritocracy 09-20-06 07:58 PM

Interesting premise....totally unremarkable pilot. To term it so-so seems a stretch. It seems this show's getting far too much slack due solely to said premise. Based purely on content, this actually bodered on tedious. The not so kind reviews I read seem spot on after this viewing.

GradVT06 09-20-06 08:01 PM

I liked it a lot. Count me in for this show! Seems kinda like a ripoff of Lost, but hopefully it will be different.

mdc3000 09-20-06 08:24 PM

I liked the pilot quite a bit...weird seeing George Hearst not being a total motherfucker. I think the premise is very cool and the execution for the most part was pretty good...a few awkward scenes (like when the Sheriff goes to the wrong Bus and that kid raids the grocery store and hits the road) but the main cast is good and the story is intriguing...and the use of both The Killers and Snow Patrol in the pilot gets a thumbs up from me.

One question, what the hell was on the road at the end? My HD feed was a little dark - did her tires melt off or something??

MATT

SuperBatMan 09-20-06 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked the pilot quite a bit...weird seeing George Hearst not being a total motherfucker. I think the premise is very cool and the execution for the most part was pretty good...a few awkward scenes (like when the Sheriff goes to the wrong Bus and that kid raids the grocery store and hits the road) but the main cast is good and the story is intriguing...and the use of both The Killers and Snow Patrol in the pilot gets a thumbs up from me.

One question, what the hell was on the road at the end? My HD feed was a little dark - did her tires melt off or something??

MATT

It was dead birds from the radiation. Of course, I was wondering if the ending meant Topeka got hit as well, or just that there was radiation with the bombs.

edstein 09-20-06 08:42 PM

I liked it. I'll give it another shot next week. Will this be on the same time as Lost?

Patman 09-20-06 08:47 PM

Damn, Atlanta's gone!

Sekots 09-20-06 08:48 PM

It felt like I was watching a mix of Lost and War of the Worlds. It was pretty good I thought, I'll check it out again next week.

Gojhawks 09-20-06 08:56 PM

that kid raids the grocery store and hits the road
I thought the kid was actually loading perishable food into the ice machines to help perserve them. It initially appeared he was looting but then they then showed what he was really doing. Yes, it was dead crows on the road. She was headed to the airport in Wichita I believe.

I thought it was good overall. Living in Kansas I was a bit concerned how they might portray small town Kansas, but felt they did a good job. They seemed to show small-town dynamics well. Other than the fact it is impossible to see the Rocky Mountains from Kansas, they seemed to do a good job of accuracy. It has potential. I will give it a try for a while.

Tracer Bullet 09-20-06 09:03 PM

Eh. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I'll give it a few more episodes.

AGuyNamedMike 09-20-06 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Damn, Atlanta's gone!

Where the hell are we going to have DragonCon now, Tifton?!?!