Jericho--'Pilot'--9/20/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dunno, but I'm pissed about it!
Old 09-20-06, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this show would have worked better as a miniseries rather than an open-ended full season show. I have a bad feeling that the show (if it lasts that long) is going to get sidetracked by annoying subplots to fill time (Killer Fugitives on the Loose!!) at the expense of the main storyline (you know, the nuclear bomb thing), which is the reason everyone is watching. I'll give it one more week.
Old 09-20-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else think
Spoiler:
the ex-StL. cop is really one of the covicts from the bus?

Kind of a boring pilot but I'll give it a few more weeks.
Old 09-20-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
This show reminds me of Invasion, in that I don't see how they can sustain seasons of this show. I know it's a character driven show, but I don't see how you can really stretch this plot out for an extended period of time.
Old 09-20-06, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Anyone else think
Spoiler:

That was my first thought.
Old 09-20-06, 11:02 PM

good show, i liked it a lot
Old 09-20-06, 11:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it as good, but agree that I don't know how long they're going to keep it going. Lost had the Island to create stories with, I'm not sure what you can do with Kansas
Old 09-20-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the ep was ok.. but I have little desire to watch small town USA fix the power, fight over food, say "We are need to pull togther" etc etc.. I have no idea if that is the direction the show is going but watching someone look for a school bus full of kids for 25+ min is not really a good sign..

I'll keep watching being my local CBS station think they "need" to have a 10pm news. So they push prime time forward an hour and there is nothing else new on at 7pm outside of one MyNetworkTv show.
Old 09-20-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the premise and I liked tonights episode I like the direction they are heading in with the acid rain
Old 09-20-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Might want to spoiler that since some people don't watch the previews for next week.
Old 09-20-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
I thought the ep was ok.. but I have little desire to watch small town USA fix the power, fight over food, say "We are need to pull togther" etc etc.. I have no idea if that is the direction the show is going but watching someone look for a school bus full of kids for 25+ min is not really a good sign..

I'll keep watching being my local CBS station think they "need" to have a 10pm news. So they push prime time forward an hour and there is nothing else new on at 7pm outside of one MyNetworkTv show.
I thought it was ok too. Nothing as compelling as the Lost pilot and I thought it kinda dragged.
How are they going to keep this show going (if it makes it that long)? If you find out what happens than the show is over right?
Old 09-21-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching this, I pretty much agree with the Boston Globe's view:

- The dramatic portions (
Spoiler:
like the kid listening to the audio message over and over again
) are great, and should really be expanded upon.
- The "action" sequences are way over-the-top, and ridiculous.

Less ridiculous action, more character drama.
Old 09-21-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked it, better than I expected.
Old 09-21-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was an odd choice to cast Payton Manning as the dick/brother of Skeet.
Old 09-21-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I liked it. Hope we get to see more of the hot blonde chick.
Old 09-21-06, 07:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
This is starting out verrrrry slow, but has promise. I hope they don't spend too much time on the inevitable power struggle between the mayor and his challenger, although I fear this will be a central plotline.

I'll give this a few weeks to see how it develops.

Every time I see the actress who plays the shop owner, I think "I'm starting to doubt your committment to Sparkle Motion."
Old 09-21-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
I thought it as good, but agree that I don't know how long they're going to keep it going. Lost had the Island to create stories with, I'm not sure what you can do with Kansas
State basher!

<---lives in Kansas
Old 09-21-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
...weird seeing George Hearst not being a total motherfucker.
I was thinking they needed to get Bullock in there to restore some law and order to the town
Old 09-21-06, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
While I don't really like any of the characters yet, I think the story has some promise. Hopefully it doesn't start out as slow as Invasion did last year.

I also don't want it to fall into the trap that LOST seems to, where people don't ask questions and other's don't answer questions completely.
Old 09-21-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed on all points regarding how the writers will handle a full season, but I thoroughly enjoyed the setup.

The Jake character has some deep dark secret, I'm sure that will play a prominent part of the storyline when the well starts to run dry.

Old 09-21-06, 08:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I enjoyed the pilot. Though I cringed when the Roadrunner got smashed.
Old 09-21-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
Anyone else think
Spoiler:

Turned to my wife and said it as soon as I saw the bus.
Old 09-21-06, 09:26 AM

Hmmm The premise was slow the build up to the attack to me was chilling to me anyway but this show does have potential to grow. I will hold further judgement until the final episode of the season unlike some others.
Old 09-21-06, 09:26 AM

The farmland of western Kansas can make a town like Jericho feel as remote as an island. There is an interstate west of Wichita that used to have only one gas station in the middle of a 300 mile stretch.

As far as the storylines:

1) Jake - I hope they explain where he's been during the next episode or two. There's no reason for such manufactured mystery when there is so much else happening.

2) The Mayor and his opponent - could be interesting if they do it right. Instead of opposition for the sake of opposition, I hope they base it on some real issues.

3) The schoolbus - this was just to add tension. Think of the children! I'm glad it was resolved quickly. At least Jake has some useful skills.

4) The prisoner bus - as if they need any more bogey men. Please. A nuclear attack is enough to scare people. Have the writers seen "The Day After"? However, it does raise the point of how do you handle anti-social people when modern civil order and infrastructure breaks down. I bet we have a good old-fashioned prisoner lynching narrowly averted by the mayor in a forecoming episode.

5) Blonde driving to the airport - I liked the dead birds at the end. These details bring home the reality of the situation. Her WTF incredulous reaction is how I think most people would respond.

I truly hope that they focus on the nuclear attack and how people respond to the breakdown of civil order. These silly little stories of missing children and escaped prisoners are tedious at best.
Old 09-21-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
These silly little stories of missing children and escaped prisoners are tedious at best.
I watched the ep with my 15 yr old daughter, and she thought those two used-and-abused plot points added a real suspenseful layer to things. She was all "Oh my God!" and "Holy crap!".

Go figure...

We were, however, chuckling together over the "character introduction" chunk at the beginning, placing bets on how these stock types would figure into various plot points.

We'll probably keep watching to see what direction the storytelling goes.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-21-06 at 09:39 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.