TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rock Star: Supernova

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rock Star: Supernova

This starts tonight, 7-830 CST.

Although it surely won't be as original the 2nd time around, I'm really looking forward to this. Not so much for the members of the band (Tommy Lee from Motley Crue, Jason Newsted from Metallica, and Gilby Clark from GNR), but just to see/hear some of the contestants. I'm not a fan of INXS really at all, and I thoroughly enjoyed last summer.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/rock_star2/

Who the hell is Gilby Clark, anyways? Guitarist for GNR, ok...but I'm guessing not for long or something?

Last edited by aktick; 07-05-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Damn... Gilby Clarke still looks the same.

I believe he was brought in during the Illusion Tours to replace Izzy Stradlin (after he left the band).

Clarke was then fired from GNR after the Spagetti Incident.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 07-05-06 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Only one I've liked so far is the 2nd guy that did Knockin' on Heaven's Door, though I liked his voice more than the song.

These chicks are terrible...and this Alvarez girl was HORRIBLE.

Last edited by aktick; 07-05-06 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess I like 2 of the 5 (Storm and the blonde dude singing acoustic, maybe Ryan). Patrice was a little underwhelming. Magni was a poser.

Liked Josh's voice (though probably not quite a fit for the band), and Jenny's got a nice sounding voice, but doesn't seem to be able to project loudly if the song required it. Couldn't stand Zayra's vocals at all.

Hoffer looked like he was showing up for Monkees Idol. Dilana scared the crap out of me.

Dana had a big husky voice but not much of a melodic quality to it. Phil just flat out stunk up the stage. Jill was too much of a screamer.

Chris was horrific, but Lukas pretty much brought it home.

Last edited by Patman; 07-05-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the punk chick Dilana, from S. Africa originally, that sang "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Old 07-05-06, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Top 3 (in no particular order):
Toby - Really liked his voice, will reserve judgment until he does something more uptempo.
Josh - I really like his voice, but I've gotta hear him do more of a rock song before I can see him fitting in with this group.
Lukas - A bit over the top, but he definitely made his point and rocked.

Kind of "meh":
Magni
Ryan
Jenny
Matt
Storm
Patrice

Just plain bad:
Zayra - Scary bad.
Dilana - Just scary.
Dana
Phil
Jill
Chris - How in God's name did he get in the top 15?!
Old 07-05-06, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toby is the clear front runner. He kinda reminded me of Axl's vocals on GNR's cover the Knockin.

Dana (or whoever the chick from Augusta was) really belongs on American Idol and not in the running to front a band with Tommy Lee.

Dilana scared the crap out of me, and while I figured the band would love her, I am not sure why.

I wasn't too thrilled with Zayra's performance either, but she has a really good voice. Check out her vocals on "Come in Closer" and "Into the Ocean" with Blue October. I hope she stays around a little longer to see if she can give a better performance.

I wish Jason Newsted would avoid the heavy metal side of his music. Yeah, he is a great bass player for a heavy metal band, but I think he is much stronger as a pure rock bassist. I thought he rocked when he sat in with Gov't Mule a few times.
Old 07-05-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I bet Newsted wishes he was in Metallica right now.
Old 07-05-06, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I bet Newsted wishes he was in Metallica right now.
I dunno...did you hear their new song? If it wasn't clear they were washed up before, it is now.

There are only really 4 or 5 people that even have a shot at this. The rest are just there to fill the hour for now.
Old 07-05-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Why did Newsted leave? He have integrity so Lars had to jetison him away?
Old 07-05-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i'll be the first to say it...

THE HOUSE BAND ROCKS! glad to see it's all the same guys.

Chris was AWFUL. was glad to hear Gilby just flat out say it sucked. it did suck. the arrangement, his vocals, everything except the band.

I agreed with the early bottom three (Chris, Magni, and Phil). At least with Magni and Chris. magni was pompous. and his shuffling around the stage was awful.

who was the chick that sang the nickelback song? her voice was almost too clean. except on the "heart worth breakin'" part where the band stopped playing. she sounded more rock there. most of her performance was liz phair-ish. and hey, i like liz phair, but not for this.

that guy lukas looked reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaallly familiar.

dilana was scary... her voice sounded like an 80-year-old who's been smoking for 78 years... but she was captivating. she was more entertaining just standing there than magni and chris were in their whole performance.

that other dude was freakin' channeling chris robinson. except chris does a better job enunciating, which is hard to believe.
Old 07-05-06, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by waporvare
I liked the punk chick Dilana, from S. Africa originally, that sang "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

she sang lithium.
Old 07-05-06, 10:41 PM

so the band isn't picking the songs for them anymore? it sounded like they said that the singers get to pick their own songs... seems like people would be less likely to screw up (well, except for chris).

and how are they going to do the bottom 3? just have them sing another rock song of their choice? I liked how last year, the bottom three had to sing an INXS song.
Old 07-05-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by waporvare
I actually liked the one that sang Lithium
Old 07-05-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
agree 100% about the house band. I was VERY happy to see them back.

I also agree 100% that only 4 or 5 TOPS have any chance of actually winning this. It'll be a while before we get to the meat of this show.

I was hoping they'd act more like Gilby telling htat guy his song sucked. They seem to be too nice, and thats just not Tommy Lee or Newsted. Felt like they needed to be more honest.

My top 3:

Toby
Lukas
Storm

I really liked Josh, but there's just no way he fronts that band. I also liked (and seems like i'm the only one, pun intended) Dana. But ya, this isn't the show for her.

My bottom 3:

Chris - just awful
Phil - was the worst till Chris went
Zayra - ok, this to me seems like they picked her just because one of those 3 wanted to date her or something.
Old 07-06-06, 12:37 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lukas was the last one right? I didn't like anybody until him. I disliked Supernova even more than I expected to. I never thought I'd miss INXS.

I have no idea why, but I'll probably continue to watch this show for at least a little bit. I always stop watching AI when they get to the finalists, but for some reason I'm drawn to this show.
Old 07-06-06, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I LOVED the show last year and by about show 5, I was a J.D. fanatic. (I went to Vegas in January strictly to see INXS.) I'm not sure anyone this year is going to grab me like that. . .

Storm - Not bad, good voice, but hated her weird expressions.
Ryan - I felt like I was listening to Adam Sandler do one of his music parodies.
Toby - Good voice, promising.
Patrice - OK, voice didn't seem to have too much power. Felt like I was watching Toni Collette.
Magni - Who the heck stops singing in the first line to try to get the audience to sing along? Singing that was way too big a persona to live up to. No charisma.
Zayra - No, I don't think so. . .
Jenny - WEAK voice, and she was off-key several times.
Josh - Not crazy about his lackadaisical, smiley attitude during the song. . .
Matt - I can't figure out who the heck he looks like. . . weak voice, got to see him try something more rock.
Dilana - Intense in a scary way, but she's got presence! Just when I was wondering if she was going to keep standing there like Mrs. Roboto, she broke free!
Dana - GREAT voice, don't see her fronting THIS band.
Phil - Why does everyone sing this song? It doesn't showcase your range, and he has no stage presence.
Jill - Kind of liked her power and spunk.
Chris - Disaster. (Just because J.D. pulled a coup with "California Dreaming" doesn't mean every song can be rearranged successfully.)
Lukas - Weird look, weird hair, but he commanded that song. He has enough personality for a handful of these guys.

Going home: I predict Phil.

Last edited by rkndkn; 07-06-06 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
she sang lithium.
Bah. I knew that. See, it doesn't pay to post half asleep.
Old 07-06-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nny
Lukas was the last one right? I didn't like anybody until him. I disliked Supernova even more than I expected to. I never thought I'd miss INXS.

I have no idea why, but I'll probably continue to watch this show for at least a little bit. I always stop watching AI when they get to the finalists, but for some reason I'm drawn to this show.
Why do you dislike supernova? we havne't heard even a note from them yet.
Old 07-06-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

couldnt the band do better than getting Gilby? Geez.
Old 07-06-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Storm - Solid voice. Overly fake stage persona. Could improve.

Ryan - Lousy singing. Guy's a goner.

Toby - Good voice, pretty boy. A safe choice for the band.

Patrice - Don't really remember. Have to look her up on the website. Oh yeah. This year's Sweet Suzie. Strong voice. Not as affected as it could have been on this song. Good performance.

Magni - That's an unsingable song in this context. It has like three notes. He needs a better song.

Zayra - Bad singing, bad melodrama. Appreciate the latin vibe to the opening but a weak performance over all.

Jenny Gault - Off key warbling. Ghastly.

Josh - Strange voice. Not terrible but a soul/rock song like that needs to ride that line and not go straight into the soul side.

Matt - Seemed like a nice enough guy. I realize "Yellow" isn't a "cool" song but he could have worked it harder and brought out more emotion.

Dilana - I was NOT into this performance. Marty Casey kinda rocked it last year and now she does with weird Broadway Jeckyl/Hyde thing? All you get is a first half that's got no energy and a second half that's flailingy over the top. Yuck.

Dana - I feel like well sung Melissa Etheridge and poorly sung Melissa Etheridge still sort of sound the same. Can't tell which this is. She's boring.

Phil - Really wrong song for him. Needs confident, definitive singing. He just sort of emo-warbled it. Bad karaoke. And Ocean City? hahaha...

Jill - Strong voice, annoying stage presence. Man, so many fake ROCKER moves last night.

Chris - I think he got a little too beat up. It was hardly the worst song of the night but it was still not great. He moved it into his range, which makes sense.

Lukas - Needs work but he's the winner. Live energy, spontaneous presence, less cliche. Nothing embarrasing here. Hell, I even like that they played up the new wave aspect of the song instead of trying to make it more "modern" (a la Roxanne). If Supernova is keeping an eye on Velvet Revolver for style tips then this is their guy.

Overall not terrible but no REAL standouts. No Jordis Unga this year so far, who kicked ass in episode 1. We'll see.
Old 07-06-06, 09:37 AM

i agree that the guys in supernova were being too nice. but at least the gave a few good tips (like jason commenting on Ryan (and what kind of name is Ryan Star? wasn't she on american idol?) looking down at the chords). having the producer there is also a plus, as he can give some good tips as well. the most useless out of all of them was tommy lee. he said nothing of value.

Chris took an interesting song and made it BORING by "rockin' it up". that arrangement was definitely not interesting in the least.

going back to dilana. i actually would have thought it was cool if she stood there the whole time. i liked that part. the jumping around the stage was too weird for me, though.

so far the only one that's stood out for me is Lukas. and i swear i've seen him before...
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i agree that the guys in supernova were being too nice. but at least the gave a few good tips (like jason commenting on Ryan (and what kind of name is Ryan Star? wasn't she on american idol?) looking down at the chords). having the producer there is also a plus, as he can give some good tips as well. the most useless out of all of them was tommy lee. he said nothing of value.
Actually... her name is Ryan Starr and she was on AI: Season 1
Old 07-06-06, 09:59 AM

yeah, thanks. i wish there was a rhetorical question smiley.
Old 07-06-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lukas reminds me of a pimped out version of Clint Howard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.