Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rock Star: Supernova

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the house band is still the same? Even Raphael, who got into legal trouble last year?
Old 07-09-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
How short is Lukas? He looks like he has little people facial features.
I don't think he's all that short but I know what you mean. I rewound and scanned a scene of the contestants standing in a line, and he seemed average height.

(I too thought he might be a little person, not only because of his face, but also because of the excessive praise he got at the end of his song).
Old 07-09-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason I didn't really like Patrice's performance was because she sounded like she sang under the pitch of her song, so it just didn't wow me.

Under pitch? She was the most right on pitch of just about anybody all night, especially of the women. Not only that, but she had the total package going for her, too - she totally owned the song she perfomed, and her stage presence was right on via the crowd and the band. When she finished, I was thinking "Wow, the first person to completley nail their performance on every level tonight". And with the exception of Toby, and possibly Dillanna, no one else even came close.
Old 07-09-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Obviously, we disagree on Patrice's performance.
Old 07-10-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have to agree about Dilana "nailing" her performance. She does have some charisma, but I found her singing voice to be quite lacking. She should have quit smoking about 20 years ago, and her on stage hystrionics (or "dancing", if you will) seemed just way over the top to me.
Old 07-10-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously, we disagree on Patrice's performance.
True - but I think we can both agree it'll be interseting to see how some of these people fare for the rest of the season.
Old 07-10-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I also have to agree about Dilana "nailing" her performance. She does have some charisma, but I found her singing voice to be quite lacking. She should have quit smoking about 20 years ago, and her on stage hystrionics (or "dancing", if you will) seemed just way over the top to me.
That weird thing hanging on her chin is way too distracting.

I still find her performances more amusing by imagining her as the "two dollars" kid from Better Off Dead.
Old 07-10-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
So the house band is still the same? Even Raphael, who got into legal trouble last year?
I never heard about this. Anyone care to dish about his legal troubles?

As for the show, no one has really overwhelmed me yet, but then again, it took me a while to get my favorites last season as well (although Marty stood out for me -- I never saw his first performance, which I hear wasn't good).

If I were forced to say who my favorite was, I guess that I would reluctantly say Lucas. I agree with another poster that I found Dilana's performance more amusing than anything else. Jenny looks just like and even plays her guitar just like Liz Phair. Kinda spooky. Magni is way too hammy and conceited, though he has no reason to be. I liked Patrice. I thought she was probably the best woman.

Most of the others I just kinda shrugged over. Some weren't necessarily bad, but they just didn't wow me with their first performance. I'm looking forward to hearing what some of them do in future weeks.

Oh, and Matt getting cut over Chris? You cannot be serious! I realize that his song selection wasn't the greatest, but Chris was just plain awful in both of his performances. Roxanne was truly painful, and L.A. Woman wasn't much of an improvement. But I know Matt had no chance of winning the whole thing, so I'm not too shocked.
Old 07-11-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to look up his legal trouble, but he was arrested for assault at a guitar school, I think.

Is anyone watching this? So far, everyone has sucked, and the judges have been extremely critical. It's awesome! Loved the comeback by Zayra to Gilby.

Tommy Lee and his "are you wearing panties" comment shows what a low class jackass he is. I was a semi-fan of his, but you're not there for your lewd comments, Tommy.
Old 07-11-06, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060712/...ernova_lawsuit
Old 07-11-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure why I'm watching this show when I have zero interest in the bands Supernova represents. But, having watched all the shows so far I'd have to say Dilana is the ONLY person on this show I'd be remotely interested in hearing when all is said and done. At this point.
Old 07-11-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Not sure why I'm watching this show when I have zero interest in the bands Supernova represents. But, having watched all the shows so far I'd have to say Dilana is the ONLY person on this show I'd be remotely interested in hearing when all is said and done. At this point.
Dear lord man. That kook scares the bejesus out of me. On top of that, she cannot sing. What I really dont' understand is that two girls do equally "non-GNR/MC/MET" songs, yet one gets panned by Gilby and the other gets praised. They like Dilana, that's for sure.

BTW, how can that girl say she has "no idea" about Courtney Love? I turned to my wife the second I saw her and said "I bet she's doing Hole's Violet". It was that obvious.
Old 07-11-06, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Hmmmm...looks familiar...

Old 07-11-06, 11:24 PM
Suspended

I can't STAND the people when they respond to what the band tells them - they all give such cocky damned responses! Maybe that's how they're being told to act, but if not, what a huge pile of jackasses. But I guess that's probably just the nature of the business.

I liked Magni's performance better tonight. Lukas and Toby were fine as well, nothing special though. Jenny, Patrice, and Storm all did ok, the rest were either crap or flat out scary (again).

If these are the 15 best unsigned rock singers in the US (and at least 2 aren't even American), we need more people going into the singing biz.
Old 07-12-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Its amazing how when you watch this show, its so obvious who are stars and who are just people that can sing.

I bet Dilana isn't even in the top 5 for voice, but she grabs you and pulls you in. I'm anxiously waiting to see what she does next week. Then you have a guy like Ryan who is a great singer (or whoever hte guy Navarro said had hte best voice he heard in a long time) and i could'nt care less if i ever see hte guy again.

Stars on this show = Toby, Lukas, and Dilana

And they're not even the best singers. But all 3 of those people leave me waiting to see them perform next week. To me that makes the rock star, not who's a vocal genius.
Old 07-12-06, 12:11 AM

I thought they all sucked tonight. I really don't understand the praise Dilana got for her performance either- It was one of the weaker ones of the night. Toby was the best but even his performance was pretty mediocre.
Old 07-12-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was probably the single worst show of the Rock Star series for performances. There is no one performance that I could say knocked me out. My favorite at this point would be Storm.
Old 07-12-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
I can't STAND the people when they respond to what the band tells them - they all give such cocky damned responses! Maybe that's how they're being told to act, but if not, what a huge pile of jackasses. But I guess that's probably just the nature of the business.
Normally I would agree with you, but most of them were responding to Navarro, who isn't in the band, and who is a total and complete jackass. He should not be part of this process, and his comments have zero weight. Chris was right to call him out.
Old 07-12-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Dear lord man. That kook scares the bejesus out of me. On top of that, she cannot sing.
I'm guessing you and I have different measures of what makes interesting music. This isn't American Idol or the girl from Georgia would win it ("Born To Be Wild"). There definitely are "bad" singers who drive me insane (Billy Corgan), but others with really gruff vocals who knock my socks off (Tom Waits). Dilana looks scary, yeah.
She sounds like she's been around the block while smoking all day long. But she also seems pretty much the only person on this show who is already set to be their lead singer. I mean, she could do it now with ease and be a riveting prescence. I don't feel that at all with goofy makeup boy who sang the Coldplay tune last night (he does sound a little like Corgan and probably why he rubs me wrong... also his cheesy arrogance is not merited.)

There are a couple of other good singers, but they are b-o-r-i-n-g.
Old 07-12-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm guessing you and I have different measures of what makes interesting music. This isn't American Idol or the girl from Georgia would win it ("Born To Be Wild"). There definitely are "bad" singers who drive me insane (Billy Corgan), but others with really gruff vocals who knock my socks off (Tom Waits). Dilana looks scary, yeah.
She sounds like she's been around the block while smoking all day long. But she also seems pretty much the only person on this show who is already set to be their lead singer. I mean, she could do it now with ease and be a riveting prescence. I don't feel that at all with goofy makeup boy who sang the Coldplay tune last night (he does sound a little like Corgan and probably why he rubs me wrong... also his cheesy arrogance is not merited.)

There are a couple of other good singers, but they are b-o-r-i-n-g.
It's funny you use Billy as a measure, as SP is probably my favorite band of all time. But Dilana is straight-up weird, and that's not interesting to me. To maintain interest, there needs to be some degree of talent. She does not seem to have it.

We agree on one thing clear my friend - Supernova has her targeted. There's no other explination for that Russian's girl's song being trashed and hers being praised.

I'm growing tired with this show. It doesn't have the magic of last year. Foxesonidol (the dickwads over there at least) think this group is 10x more talented than last year, and that's incredible bullshit.

I'd have to say the favorites are Storm, Dilana and Toby right now. But hopefully they will get into some more interesting song choices, it seems like alot of repetition at this point.
Old 07-12-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the Aussie (Toby) will win.
Old 07-12-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It doesn't have the magic of last year. Foxesonidol (the dickwads over there at least) think this group is 10x more talented than last year, and that's incredible bullshit.
Exactly -- I'm not finding this bunch of "rockers" as interesting or likeable and nowhere as talented as last year's. I can't figure out if part of it has to do with no "mansion show" for me (I guess it's online, but I have dial-up and can't watch those things.) Even last year's weaker singers, like Neal, at least had a likeability factor.

Right now, I'd go with Toby to win. Phil (whom I'm glad I was wrong about going home last week) frustrates me because he has a decent voice, but his stage mannerisms annoy me. I'm with Jason, who wants to see him plant himself and crush it, rather than Tommy, who likes his loosey-goosey style.

I can't wait for Zayra to go home. Who does she think she is, giving the band that smart-ass answer about being in diapers when they were popular? Anyone serious about fronting this band would surely make sure to have knowledge about their respective bands, and any music lover would be familiar with music even before "their time". She just wants to do her own thing, even if it doesn't mesh at all with Supernova.
Old 07-12-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that Zayra's comment was fine, since Gilby's was rather nasty to her. Saying that she doesn't have a clue what kind of singer they are looking for isn't exactly constructive criticism.
Old 07-12-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This batch is terrible. What's her face's version of Heart Shaped Box was super-weak compared to Jordis' last year (which I still listen to regularly). What's her face was fooling herself with the Courtney Love thing. What's her face did terribly with You Really Got Me and then acted like an ass. What's his face slurred through If You Could Only See. Most of the rest were boring. I did like Lukas' version of Coldplay. That's how to do a song like that for these guys. But the show is nothing compared to last year in every regard.

Also the way Tommy told Jason to shut up shows that this is a one-off cash in for these guys. Compared to the level of urgency felt by the guys from INXS this is just too much of a nothing situation.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 07-12-06 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
What's her face's version of Heart Shaped Box was super-weak compared to Jordis' last year (which I still listen to regularly).

What is Jordis up to these days? I never felt like the INXS songs were really her style of music anyways. I figured she'd be one of the few to see what style she developed over the next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.