Rock Star: Supernova

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rock Star: Supernova

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
You happened to see the two *exceptions to the rule* performances of hers. In those softer songs her accent doesn't botch up the works. But listen to her do a faster paced song and she's almost the female William Hung.
BTW, I live in NYC, and hear aalot of Puerto Rican accents...she does NOT have a Puerto Rican accent...she sounds South American...anyone know whats up with that?
Old 07-27-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised that people didn't expect Phil to go after that horrible Wallflowers song. That wobbly head of his screws up his vocals every time. I thought he did a good job last week, but on One Headlight he went right back to it. Plus his performance did not look like he was singing One Headlight.
(edit: just started watching the elimination show and Phil complained about the songs they get to choose from. Good point Phil, but too little too late I guess.)

I thought Magni was the best this week, by far. He sounded great on Heroes. Just staying behind the mic is better than what most of them are doing. Zayra didn't sound that bad to me until she started getting winded at the end.
Old 07-28-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I was sort of split on this exchange. I thougth Gilby's Ann Wilson comment was sort of a weak retort... Jill asked about the gender double standard of sexuality on stage and Gilby dodged the question by saying "But Ann Wilson doesn't do it!" That's great for Ann Wilson, but what does that have to do with Jill? And what does it have to do with Jill's question? They told her why she shouldn't HAVE to do it, but they never really elaborated on why she shouldn't BE ALLOWED to do it. If she was coming out every show grinding the band I'd understand, but it was a pretty strong reaction to a lone event.
That's pretty much what I thought, though I guess I missed a lot by fast forwarding through the reality segments. Of course, Jill made it worse with her reaction--a simple "I'm sorry, I'll work on that" would have stopped the conversation.
Old 07-28-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't see Ann Wilson ever grinding up against anything other than a buffet table. She is the large one who was laughably hidden in all of the videos for their hit songs in the 80's, no? And Nancy Wilson is the hot one married to Cameron Crowe?
Old 07-28-06, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I can't see Ann Wilson ever grinding up against anything other than a buffet table. She is the large one who was laughably hidden in all of the videos for their hit songs in the 80's, no? And Nancy Wilson is the hot one married to Cameron Crowe?
that is correct
Old 07-28-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts
As long time rock/metal fan, I have to admit that this show is fucking embarassing.

The first week Tommy, Jason, and Gilby just sat on the couch staring at the performers like autistic kids watching an anime marathon. I guess that the producers told them to, you know, actually try to react to the performances in the later weeks.

Kind of ironic that Gilby told Jill not to play up the sex angle when Tommy's comments are as insightful as "Are you wearing panties?" or "The last time I saw a chick dressed like that I woke up covered with bite marks."

I also thought it was funny when Dave was ragging on that one female singer about changing her style once in a while, to which she replied to Dave that he didn't, and he rebutted that he had a job and wasn't auditioning.

A PERFECT comeback for her would've been "So I guess the Chili Peppers are letting you come back?"
Old 07-28-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
As long time rock/metal fan, I have to admit that this show is fucking embarassing.

The first week Tommy, Jason, and Gilby just sat on the couch staring at the performers like autistic kids watching an anime marathon. I guess that the producers told them to, you know, actually try to react to the performances in the later weeks.

Kind of ironic that Gilby told Jill not to play up the sex angle when Tommy's comments are as insightful as "Are you wearing panties?" or "The last time I saw a chick dressed like that I woke up covered with bite marks."

I also thought it was funny when Dave was ragging on that one female singer about changing her style once in a while, to which she replied to Dave that he didn't, and he rebutted that he had a job and wasn't auditioning.

A PERFECT comeback for her would've been "So I guess the Chili Peppers are letting you come back?"

Why would that be a perfect comeback? His new album is coming out August 15.
Old 07-28-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't see Ann Wilson ever grinding up against anything other than a buffet table.

5/5
Old 07-28-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't see Ann Wilson ever grinding up against anything other than a buffet table.
I could see her grinding up against Giantrobo...

She is the large one who was laughably hidden in all of the videos for their hit songs in the 80's, no? And Nancy Wilson is the hot one married to Cameron Crowe?
She wasn't hidden in all of them. I remember one where they vertically squeezed the image when she was onscreen.

Like that one Paula Abdul video where she's dancing under a waterfall or in a rainforest.
Old 07-28-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Why would that be a perfect comeback? His new album is coming out August 15.
Because the album he did with RCHP, "One Hot Minute," was a godawful piece of shit.

It was also a flop... Blood Sugar Sex Magic sold something seven million, One Hot Minute sold two million, and Californication outsold Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
Old 07-28-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Im curious.. how many people in here will buy the supernova album once its released

i was wondering it more people will admit to that, than admit to wanting an american idol album after the show is done, the winner is decided, and the album is released
Old 07-28-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by deadlax
I haven't heard a single bit of "edge" in her voice. She's like a crosse between Bjork and the Cranberries vocalist.
DING! DING! DING!

The Bjork thing clicked when she sang the REM song.

My only problem with her staying this week is she's much less a fit than Phil (who also is clearly not a good fit for the band either).
Old 07-28-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
Im curious.. how many people in here will buy the supernova album once its released

i was wondering it more people will admit to that, than admit to wanting an american idol album after the show is done, the winner is decided, and the album is released
I will not be buying the album... the music they previewed the other day didn't seem like anything special to me...
with bland music like that (and no existing catalog of hits) you would need a big name frontman to draw people in.
Old 07-28-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bssm is a classic. outside of jane's addiction, navarro is pretty much a glamrock doof, imo.

none of these folks do anything for me. and i won't be buying any supernova albums.
Old 07-28-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman
....outside of jane's addiction, navarro is pretty much a glamrock doof, imo....
(we must lay at his feet in worship)
Old 07-28-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked aeroplane
Old 07-28-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Because the album he did with RCHP, "One Hot Minute," was a godawful piece of shit.

It was also a flop... Blood Sugar Sex Magic sold something seven million, One Hot Minute sold two million, and Californication outsold Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
Just because it was not a success commercially does not mean it was a piece of shit. Aeroplane is a great song and Warped ( i think) was one of their best.
Old 07-28-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
Just because it was not a success commercially does not mean it was a piece of shit. Aeroplane is a great song and Warped ( i think) was one of their best.
Everything on OHM lacked Frusante and Slovak's originality. They sounded like an average punk band on that record.

I remember seeing Dave do a live version of Give it Away and playing it very, very wrong. Playing that song wrong is like hitting the wrong notes on Nothing Else Matters (only guitar geeks will get this one).
Old 07-28-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Storm Large, and like Dilana. Therefore, I hope that they don't win, so I don't have to hear them playing with Supernova. I hate Gilby Clarke.
Old 07-29-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Zayra was amazing in the elimination round... Even Tommy Lee looked like he was going to cry. She might not be right but shes way better than phil who sucks pretty hard...
Old 07-29-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah...of all of them, i like storm.

only because she's willing to go all out. get naked. shit like that. she probably parties harder than most of those wannabes (supernova).
Old 07-30-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by freshticles
Zayra was amazing in the elimination round... Even Tommy Lee looked like he was going to cry. She might not be right but shes way better than phil who sucks pretty hard...
If you consider amazing being seriously behind the tempo and very much off key, then I guess she was amazing.
Old 07-30-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
All right, I haven't given any opinions I don't think in a while, so for what it's worth, here's a few thoughts about the last performances.

I actually thought that it was one of the best shows this season. I was SHOCKED by Dana. I always thought she had a great voice but just not a voice right for this show at all. But she really did a great job with the Nirvana song.

And more shocks for me, I think Dilana was probably my favorite performance of the night. I know someone said that she needs to bring more rock again, but I think she has done the best job of any of the rockers in balancing the rock and showing a softer side. In fact, I think she needed to do so after her first performance. Going from Nirvana in week 1, the slow, Goth-like Ring of Fire and then Zombie and finally Time After Time, she has shown more flexibility than any other performer, because she's done a pretty good job with each one.

The other big standout performance has to be Storm. Sorry for the pun, but she definitely rocked it large. She, like Dilana, has a great stage presence and really throws herself into her performances. Does anybody know the name of her band? Believe it or not, it's called Storm and The Balls.

My friend is in love with Lucas. I think he's good, but I totally agree with Jason that he needs to open his voice up more; it sounds way too strangled. But I thought his version of Bittersweet Symphony was OK. I thought it was saved by how he really rocked it out at the end.

And Zayra? How in the world is she still in this competition? Her Call Me was embarrassing, and as a fan of the K's Choices song she did, I thought it was pretty bad. And the one moment where she could have rocked out a little bit in it, she didn't. Kinda frustrating.

Josh is the other one that has to go. Her Nirvana song the previous week in his elimination performance was a pleasant surprise, but he really sounded like it was a struggle to sing in that way. His Blind Melon cover didn't do anything for me either.

Anyone else have a hard time liking Magni? It's something about his attitude that just rubs me the wrong way. And I also think that Toby is WAY overrated. He just doesn't do much for me; it sounds like he is singing the same song every time.

I wish that during the show that they would have let the audience in on Phil's comments in interviews. You could tell that there was more to the story than what we were getting, but if you are going to base your decision on that, it would be nice to let your audience know about it.

Sorry, for writing so much, but haven't commented in a while so just had to get all of my thoughts out.
Old 07-30-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
All right, I haven't given any opinions I don't think in a while, so for what it's worth, here's a few thoughts about the last performances.

I actually thought that it was one of the best shows this season. I was SHOCKED by Dana. I always thought she had a great voice but just not a voice right for this show at all. But she really did a great job with the Nirvana song.

And more shocks for me, I think Dilana was probably my favorite performance of the night. I know someone said that she needs to bring more rock again, but I think she has done the best job of any of the rockers in balancing the rock and showing a softer side. In fact, I think she needed to do so after her first performance. Going from Nirvana in week 1, the slow, Goth-like Ring of Fire and then Zombie and finally Time After Time, she has shown more flexibility than any other performer, because she's done a pretty good job with each one.

The other big standout performance has to be Storm. Sorry for the pun, but she definitely rocked it large. She, like Dilana, has a great stage presence and really throws herself into her performances. Does anybody know the name of her band? Believe it or not, it's called Storm and The Balls.

My friend is in love with Lucas. I think he's good, but I totally agree with Jason that he needs to open his voice up more; it sounds way too strangled. But I thought his version of Bittersweet Symphony was OK. I thought it was saved by how he really rocked it out at the end.

And Zayra? How in the world is she still in this competition? Her Call Me was embarrassing, and as a fan of the K's Choices song she did, I thought it was pretty bad. And the one moment where she could have rocked out a little bit in it, she didn't. Kinda frustrating.

Josh is the other one that has to go. Her Nirvana song the previous week in his elimination performance was a pleasant surprise, but he really sounded like it was a struggle to sing in that way. His Blind Melon cover didn't do anything for me either.

Anyone else have a hard time liking Magni? It's something about his attitude that just rubs me the wrong way. And I also think that Toby is WAY overrated. He just doesn't do much for me; it sounds like he is singing the same song every time.

I wish that during the show that they would have let the audience in on Phil's comments in interviews. You could tell that there was more to the story than what we were getting, but if you are going to base your decision on that, it would be nice to let your audience know about it.

Sorry, for writing so much, but haven't commented in a while so just had to get all of my thoughts out.
I agree with you about Magni. I just can't get into him. And I have no idea what the band's infatuation with Loukas is. He's just terrible. They must dig his look.

The band seems to be dismissing people based on non-performance related things. They dismissed Matt because they didn't find him to be authentic. Phil because they thought he was in it for the quick 15 minutes. I assume that Jill and Josh will go soon for much the same reasons, maybe even Patrice.

Not that it matters, and this band isn't real anyway.
Old 07-30-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Havent liked Toby since he did the Killers song.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.