Reload this Page >

Just saw Firefly for first time

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-03-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has persuaded me to watch Firefly and he claimed it's a great TV show. After watching first 3 episodes, I thought it was pretty weak show.

Will it get better?

I don’t want to waste my time watch 2 seasons then watch Serenity…
Old 07-03-06, 03:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Assuming by "first three episodes" you mean "Serenity" pts 1&2 and "The Train Job" then yes, it gets better. A lot better.

And then it takes a big nosedive with the movie. (My opinion, of course, no flaming)
Old 07-03-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Assuming by "first three episodes" you mean "Serenity" pts 1&2 and "The Train Job" then yes, it gets better. A lot better.
Agreed.

And then it takes a big nosedive with the movie. (My opinion, of course, no flaming)
I didn't enjoy it as much as the show either but I still thought it was good.
Old 07-03-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're correct, but there's one more episode after "The Train Job" - The third one is about Raven guy on loose in Serenity ship.
Old 07-03-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the show is outstanding, but I thought it hit the ground running, so maybe our tastes don't mesh.

There was only one season of Firefly, though -- 13 episodes, so you're already a quarter of the way through.
Old 07-03-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm, according to imdb, it ran 15 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/episodes
Old 07-03-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Umm, according to imdb, it ran 15 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/episodes
Semantics. The Firefly saga consists of the two-part pilot (Serenity) which were aired out-of-order as episodes 11 and 12, the thirteen regularly produced episodes, and that rutting pile of poo movie Serenity.
Old 07-03-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's takes a few episodes to really get a feel for the characters. The first 3 episodes are great bu they are better if you go back and watch them a second time after you finish the series.
Old 07-03-06, 05:38 PM

Keep going with it buddy, there are excellent episodes with the "Train Job" being the first truly great episode for Firefly - even the moderately weaker episodes like "Shindig" and "Bushwhacked" are still entertaining. And despite what some people have said ealier in this thread, Serenity is well worth your time as well.
Old 07-03-06, 05:48 PM
Suspended

After episode 4 or 5 it's pretty much all gold.
Old 07-03-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! I'm surprised at all the distaste for the film Serenity. Personally I saw Serenity first since I didn't want to spend 25+ bucks on a TV show I'm not sure I would have liked. So I spent 10 bucks and got Serenity, loved it, and I went out and purchased Firefly the next day.

I loved Serenity, as well as Firefly.
Old 07-03-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched the series for the first time on DVD, and after Serenity Part 1 and 2, I thought everyone was out of their damn minds telling me Firefly was a good show. I wasn't took keen on The Train Job either, and I was about to ebay the set when 1 friend told me the show got off to a slow start and to give it time. I kept at it, and it slowly grew on me to the point of love, love, love. I say keep at it until Our Mrs. Reynolds. If you don't love it after that one, it might not be your cup of Starbucks.

I really love the whole series now, even though those first few episodes still aren't my favorites.

Oh, and I adore Serenity.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-03-06 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Wow! I'm surprised at all the distaste for the film Serenity. Personally I saw Serenity first since I didn't want to spend 25+ bucks on a TV show I'm not sure I would have liked. So I spent 10 bucks and got Serenity, loved it, and I went out and purchased Firefly the next day.

Seriously... I was pretty about that, too. I thought it was pretty damn good, and a nice ending to the story, but I always thought that it was pretty well-liked, too. Of course, it's only a few people who have complained about it, so they could be the minority.
Old 07-03-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Serenity was pretty highly regarded,least thats how i remember from when it came out.Im certainly a fan of it along with Firefly which i loved from when it 1st aired and certainly happy to own both on dvd
Old 07-03-06, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

Those are minority opinions. Serenity was awesome, but the series is definitely a lot better.

BTW, McHawkson, if you aren't hooked after seeing Our Mrs. Reynolds you have no sense of humor and/or soul.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 07-03-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm... my friend said same thing. I guess, I'll keep Firefly in queue.
Old 07-04-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This is the only series I have watched straight through in one sitting. I usually can't even get through a trilogy without switching to something else. I would stick with it, if I were you. However, you already said you would, so everything is now moot.
Old 07-04-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
If you watched the 2 hr pilot and the show didn't capture your interest and imagination, I'm not so sure this is the show for you.
Old 07-04-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the earlier episodes play better after watching the whole season through once. I thought Train Job was hot garbage at first, but when I watch it now I enjoy it quite a bit.
Old 07-04-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that if you like that other Joss Whedon ***** ** ****, ***********, *****-**** Buffy you'd like Firefly. I can't stand either one, the dialogue is too cutsey for me, but I know lots of people that love both.

There, I think I got out of that without flaming.
Old 07-05-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
My guess is that if you like that other Joss Whedon ***** ** ****, ***********, *****-**** Buffy you'd like Firefly. I can't stand either one, the dialogue is too cutsey for me, but I know lots of people that love both.

There, I think I got out of that without flaming.
Although if someone doesn't like Buffy, it doesn't mean they won't like Firefly. I hate Buffy but adore Firefly and I know plenty of others who feel the same.
Old 07-05-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Of course, it's only a few people who have complained about it, so they could be the minority"

"Those are minority opinions."

Whedon fans appear to believe that because the internet forums they post on attracts fans of certain shows, that the viewing pulic also feels the same. Did it ever occur to those fans that they are attracted to forums that have a large Whedon fan base and that the majority TV viewers might not like Whedons work.

Box office numbers have shown to the contrary. Serenity was not even remotely closee to being popular.

Domestic: $25,514,517
+ Foreign: $13,337,435
= Worldwide: $38,851,952
Old 07-05-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did not comment on Serenity, which I have seen at the insistance of a friend of mine.

It's ok. The characters all talk in that "witty clipped banter" that turns me off, but the story is fine and the action is fine. The only other downside was the special effects. What was weird about it was that one minute they look amazing, and then the next they look like trash.

And that $38 mil worldwide figure might have been beat by the world DVD sales and rental, perhaps.
Old 07-05-06, 09:41 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Box office success doesn't measure audience reaction to the film, just the effectiveness of the marketing campaign.
Old 07-05-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Box office success doesn't measure audience reaction to the film, just the effectiveness of the marketing campaign.
No, but it is one of many indicators. DVD sales and rental would certainly add to it. That still doesn't make the people who do not care for it, in the MINORITY as stated. When common sense tells us a majority of TV viewers didn't watch Firefly or Buffy. That even the most popular show only get 20% to 30% of the viewing audience.

I wouldn't disagree that both are very popular among fans of the genre, but certainly not among the majority of TV / Movie viewers. That is simply a ridiculous claim. Then to portray those who don't like as a "minority", when the reverse is clearly true. Give me a break.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.