Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville--'Vessel' Season Finale--5/11/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrell

See, with all due respect, this is a silly criticism. If people will go apeshit and riot over a courtroom verdict, is it really so hard to imagine if all social services shut down instantly all over the world, that there would be people who start rioting? I don't think that's hard to believe at all. In fact, I'd guarantee it.
Power has gone out many times before. Remember the NYC blackout? I did not see any young girls attacked and dragged from their cars. And this wasnt days or weeks with no electricity. This was only hours (if that!)
Old 05-12-06, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the Spike that was flying the plane was the one touched by Lionel the episode before. Maybe he took over that one and is using him to take Ma Kent and Lois to the fortress to help Clark take out Zod.
Old 05-12-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So what was the point the injecting Lex with the virus? He didn't get the powers until he was beamed up on the ship.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Didn't get an answer for this so I'm posting again.
My theory is that in order for Zod to assume control of someone, that person had to be Kryptonian or Kryptonian-esque. He couldn't assume control of Jor-El, Clark refused to be a willing host, and Milton Fine/Brainiac isn't a person, but a Kryptonian creation. However, it appears that Lex was (in a way) willing to be a host, given that Fine was able to fully manipulate him. With Lex now having a similar body chemistry (mainly in that he had a sudden invulnerability to injury) to a Kryptonian thanks to the injection, that may explain how Fine was able to give Lex Kryptonian powers. At that point, Zod could take control of Lex because he had a Kryptonian-esque host.

Had Clark killed Lex, Zod would not have had a willing Kryptonian host to inhabit.

Again, a theory at best. No one explained it on the show, so that's my reasoning.

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-12-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-12-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Power has gone out many times before. Remember the NYC blackout? I did not see any young girls attacked and dragged from their cars. And this wasnt days or weeks with no electricity. This was only hours (if that!)
true, but to be fair, Brainiac first sent out a virus that took everything else down. so even places that had backup generators wouldn't have computers or other related tools to help keep order
Old 05-12-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Terrell
Damn, and I loved this episode. This is why I stick with Smallville, to go through 4-5 disappointing episodes to get to this kind of episode. But some of you really need to move on and go watch something else. Because the whining is getting annoying. I hear more whining about this TV show from people who reportedly can't stand it, than I hear about any TV show. Yet they keep on watchin. Folks, move along and find something else. This is akin to people who hated the prequels, yet can't stop talking about it and buy the DVDs despite their hatred of them.

I agree that the show has been disappointing this season, but it is a TV show about a young man with superpowers. You have to work with the show at least a little bit. It's called having an imagination.
Are you talking about "suspension of disbelief"? I have no problem with that. In fact, let me digress for a second here with my Jurassic Park story...

Opening night. Half way through the flick, they're scaling the electric fence before Ellie (Laura Dern) turns the power back on. Grant (Sam O'Neill) and the girl make it, but the little boy gets shocked off the fence and Sam performs CPR on him to bring him back to life. Right when the little kid draws his first breath, a loud "Yeah, right" is heard from one of the guys in the row behind me. Now i'm thinking to myself...

"Dude, for the past hour and a half we've been watching freakin' DINOSAURS...chase these people around an island...populated by DINOSAURS...and you've got a problem with THAT?"

I have NO problem with suspension of belief. I do find myself with the "innovative" ways the "writers" come up with to infect people with the green, but what pisses me off the most are NOT things that would cause me to suspend my belief or use my "imagination", but the way there's no development (character or otherwise) in any episodes and that they seem to have the same situations play themselves out (it seriously would not surprise me if danegger's synopsis came to pass).

Do we really need yet MORE barn angst between Clark and Lana while the latest song you can "find at the WB.com" is blaring in the background?

Do we need to see yet another scene where Clark can freely discuss upcoming plot points with everyone and their cousin, but when it comes to talking to Lana, his IQ - literally (you don't need x-ray vision to see it) - seems to drop before our eyes and he ends up stammering quite a bit before either a) Lana storms out (after the requisite amount of liquid wells up in the corners of her eyes and she scruches her nose - Kreuck's idea of "acting") or b)oh wait...they haven't come up with another option.

There are things about this show that I like. I like Tom, I LOVE Mike and definitely John. And this is in spite of the material they're forced to work with. Heck, when Smallville first started, I really didn't like Chloe and she's now one of my favorite characters (supercomputers aside).

When I feel the same level of intense hatred for Tom, Mike, John and Allison that I feel for Lana, i'll hang this show up (though, as a comic book/Superman fan, it would pain me to do so). But until then, as long as it's free, i'll continue to watch (or Replay it).
Old 05-12-06, 07:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
If Lois contacts Jor-el... then i will stop watching Smallville.....
"Nice place, Krypton. You might want to consider turning up the heat a bit, though."
Old 05-12-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Was there any indication that Fine was going to release a major computer virus? All this time I was thinking it was going to be some major biological virus killing millions - or maybe that's for later?
Old 05-12-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh well,I enjoyed the episode. I'm already looking forward to next season.
Old 05-13-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
LexZod and Lana kiss, and then the camera pans down on the city buildings, moves a bit across the city, and then pulls up until we see earth (with lights going out in cities across the face of the earth) in planetary view, and then we see Clark stuck in one of those Phantom Zone thingamijig (see Superman II) rotating on an axis as it floats through space, and then you get the "To Be Continued" placard.
Thanks from me, as well.
Old 05-13-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet you Lionel will come to the rescue.
I enjoyed the episode and think Kreuek is good even though I am really starting to hate Lana
Old 05-13-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hi guys, either my dvr or wb affiliate's feed completely blanked out for the last 15 minutes of the finale. Last I saw, Lois and Ma Kent were on a plane. Can someone give me the rest of the story? Thanks.
Old 05-13-06, 04:16 PM

Decent. Still on the curve of stupidity, but hopefully someone will pull the wheel back. Next season when it's all fixed in one ep, Lex won't remember anything, right? Lame.
Old 05-13-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Zien
Decent. Still on the curve of stupidity, but hopefully someone will pull the wheel back. Next season when it's all fixed in one ep, Lex won't remember anything, right? Lame.
The famous Reset Button!!
Old 05-13-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Old 05-13-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
No, no, no. It's the DC Universe, so they've got to call it a "Crisis".
Old 05-14-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Season 5 = Started out good... got bad (again)...killed Lana YES BEST SEASON EVER.....oh wait... its Pa Kent... DAMN YOU RESET BUTTON!! Back to mediocrity for a few more episodes... then a good one... then a bad one...then a horrible one.. then the pretty good season finale!!

Not a bad season finale, coulda been done better, but also coulda been done worse, wish every episode was at least this good... and please please WB Smallville gods, have Lexod throw Lana off the big bad Luthorcorp building!! please!
Old 05-15-06, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
true, but to be fair, Brainiac first sent out a virus that took everything else down. so even places that had backup generators wouldn't have computers or other related tools to help keep order
You mean all the computers that were running Milton Fine's screensaver's? Or the backup generators that were powering the emergency exit signs at the Daily Planet?

The reason I keep watching the show is because of the potential it has. The reason I get frustrated is because the writers consistently fail to live up to that potential.
Old 06-07-06, 10:56 PM
Suspended

I've just finished watching the first 5 seasons over only 3 weeks, and reading half of the threads for the shows...that's WAY too much FOTW action for me, wow. At least they seem to be doing less of that each season.

I'm not a comic book guy, and haven't really even watched the movies. Watched Lois & Clark back in the mid-90s, but don't remember much about it. So...in the Superman "mythology," what characters on Smallville aren't around? Lois, Lex, Clark is all I'm sure of - Ma Kent? Lana (non-existent, right?)? Chloe (again, non-existent?)?, Lionel?

After watching so much of the Lana & Clark BS in only 3 weeks, I can definitely echo the sentiment of wishing she would die 4 years ago.

How long is this show going to run? What I saw in 5 seasons could've easily been covered in 2 or 3. I thought LOST moved slow (though I still love every minute)...it's got nothing on SMALLVILLE - though I like it as well.

This will be back in the fall?
Old 06-08-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup.
Old 06-08-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I've just finished watching the first 5 seasons over only 3 weeks, and reading half of the threads for the shows...that's WAY too much FOTW action for me, wow. At least they seem to be doing less of that each season.

I'm not a comic book guy, and haven't really even watched the movies. Watched Lois & Clark back in the mid-90s, but don't remember much about it. So...in the Superman "mythology," what characters on Smallville aren't around? Lois, Lex, Clark is all I'm sure of - Ma Kent? Lana (non-existent, right?)? Chloe (again, non-existent?)?, Lionel?

After watching so much of the Lana & Clark BS in only 3 weeks, I can definitely echo the sentiment of wishing she would die 4 years ago.

How long is this show going to run? What I saw in 5 seasons could've easily been covered in 2 or 3. I thought LOST moved slow (though I still love every minute)...it's got nothing on SMALLVILLE - though I like it as well.

This will be back in the fall?
Ma Kent and Lana are in the comics. Chloe and Lionel were created for Smallville, although I believe Chloe and possibly Lionel might be added to the comics soon.

The actors have a contract for seven seasons, so that appears to be the running time for the show, barring a major decline in ratings this next year. I really don't know what they can do to drag it out two more years, but we'll see.
Old 06-08-06, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Ma Kent and Lana are in the comics. Chloe and Lionel were created for Smallville, although I believe Chloe and possibly Lionel might be added to the comics soon.

The actors have a contract for seven seasons, so that appears to be the running time for the show, barring a major decline in ratings this next year. I really don't know what they can do to drag it out two more years, but we'll see.
Thanks. I'm assuming there are plenty of different "versions" of Superman comics? What is Lana's role in them?

Too bad the show won't turn into Superman, I think it'd be pretty sweet to have a show run that long, showing the pre- and present-superhero days.

This show is damned captivating when they want it to be, and having Clark actually become Superman would be a way to ratchet things up a bit. But I've read in these threads that the cape and suit ain't happening?