Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Hee hee, just some good natured Sci-Fi teasing.

I'm not a Brown Coat, but I have some friends that are.

I've only seen Serenity and was not sucked in to investigate further. But I will say that my Cylon weenie is vibrating knowing that BSG is coming on soon.

So say we all!
The movie or the pilot? The series is better than the movie and the series hits its stride by Jaynestown or Our Mrs. Reynolds. It's all gold from there.

You should check it out sometimes from beginning to end. There's a reason why it's rated 9.5/10 on IMDB and has a 5/5 star average (rounded up probably from 4.6. - 4.9 since they can do half stars) from over 2,600 reviewers. That's an incredible average.
Old 09-14-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
There's a reason why it's rated 9.5/10 on IMDB and has a 5/5 star average (rounded up probably from 4.6. - 4.9 since they can do half stars) from over 2,600 reviewers. That's an incredible average.
Because all the fan boys who are in the know voted 40 times each.
Old 09-14-06, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Because all the fan boys who are in the know voted 40 times each.

The difference with Amazon is you don't just rate it and that's it. The 2650 is the number of actual reviews along with the rating for that review. It's unlike a poll where a fan can come and vote over and over (though many polls today only allow you to vote once). Also, believe that haters aren't above coming and voting 0 or 1 star.
Old 09-14-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a hater, love the show. But I can't say it is popular past the geekdom of the fanboys. Same goes for BSG. The Sci-Fi TV show is a thing highly populated by geeks and computer nerds. I don't mind so much, but it sometimes hard to keep the ones you like when the genre doesn't bridge gaps as easily as others.
Old 09-14-06, 12:34 PM
Suspended

The thing about Firefly is that it doesn't even feel like sci-fi. BSG definitely feels more sci-fi (but not too sci-fiey), but it doesn't feel dorky like say Star Trek (no offense to fans; I'm not saying all fans are dorky.). It reminds me more of The Matrix and Terminator series, which is a good thing. It was almost too sci-fiey feeling for me at first, but I stuck with it and now it just feels like watching a great series that feels more like a character drama.
Old 09-14-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whether or not you call it Sci-Fi (and I agree, as far as sci-fi goes FireFly is a good show first/sci-fi second; BSG not so much), I don't think either show had an audience past the core of Sci-Fi viewers, be they in passing or fanboys. If one was of a notion that they don't like sci-fi they would dismiss it as a sci-fi show, and not see how good they are.
Old 09-14-06, 01:22 PM
Banned

A friend of mine just borrowed season one of this from his coworker and we were going to start it tonight. didn't know there was a miniseries first. Should we hold off on season one and try to borrow the miniseries from someone first?
Old 09-14-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
A friend of mine just borrowed season one of this from his coworker and we were going to start it tonight. didn't know there was a miniseries first. Should we hold off on season one and try to borrow the miniseries from someone first?
Depending on the season 1 set you got, there's a good chance the miniseries is included in that set. The min-series was 2 2-hour episodes and season 1 was 13 episodes.
Old 09-14-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[...] Should we hold off on season one and try to borrow the miniseries from someone first?
The most recent and most common version of the S1 package includes the miniseries. The miniseries should definitely be seen first.
Old 09-14-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

imo, the mini was better than season 1. Even if it weren't vital to the series (I don't think it is, but it does fill in gaps that you would have), it should be watched for how good it is alone.
Old 09-14-06, 02:06 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure this is the set he borrowed...

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Gal...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

looks like it is the one that includes the mini.
Old 09-14-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure this is the set he borrowed...

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Gal...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

looks like it is the one that includes the mini.
Yup. The other US Season 1 set was a Best Buy exclusive, iirc. And it looks like this: http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1525807339
Old 09-14-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Great show, definitely worth checking out, just don't expect lots of major space battles and such. The mini takes some getting used to, but once you get past it, the show really takes off.
Old 09-14-06, 03:02 PM
Suspended

As somebody who always thought these Sci-Fi shows were for geeks and wouldn't give them the time of day, I can tell you it's definitely top-notch TV. It's one of my 2 or 3 favorite shows now.

I'm actually trying to figure out the DVD sets now - it seems they are just trying to confuse me? I just want all of the miniseries and first 2 seasons, what do I need?
Old 09-14-06, 03:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by aktick
I'm actually trying to figure out the DVD sets now - it seems they are just trying to confuse me? I just want all of the miniseries and first 2 seasons, what do I need?
The mini-series is included on the Season 1 set, though without some of the extras from its solo release. Also get Season 2.0 and the upcoming 2.5.
Old 09-14-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You need that Season 1 set SonOfAStu posted. Also Season 2.0 that is already out and Season 2.5 that comes out on Tuesday.
Old 09-14-06, 03:54 PM
Suspended

I don't think either show had an audience past the core of Sci-Fi viewers, be they in passing or fanboys. .

When it comes to Firefly I'd have to say that assessment is a bit off. I know of people who don't care for Sci-Fi at all that LOVE Firefly. My best friend got his girlfriend hooked on the show after he got her hooked on Buffy & Angel and she has no interest in sci-fi whatsoever.

Speaking of Buffy & Angel. Lots of us Buffy & Angel fans watched Firefly for one reason....Joss Whedon, and many of us loved the show and not because we were die hard sci-fi nuts. Plenty of Buffy & Angel fans are not really big sci-fi fans or sci-fi fans at all. Firefly is sci-fi for people who do not necessarily like tv sci-fi while at the same time great for those who do. Whedon made it exactly like he said. It takes place in the future, sometimes looks like dislike most sci-fi.
Old 09-16-06, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinata242
You need that Season 1 set SonOfAStu posted. Also Season 2.0 that is already out and Season 2.5 that comes out on Tuesday.
Thanks. Will they be combining 2.0 and 2.5 in the (somewhat) near future? Just for simplicity's sake and all (I've already seen all of S2 a couple times - "live" and on UHD)...
Old 09-16-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. Will they be combining 2.0 and 2.5 in the (somewhat) near future? Just for simplicity's sake and all (I've already seen all of S2 a couple times - "live" and on UHD)...
No one knows for sure. There are no current plans and I haven't seen any advertisments for a combo deal. Right now the answer is no.
Old 09-16-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
We've been asking each other this ever since the 2.0 set was first announced, and we're no closer to answer then we were back then. Other regions have complete sets, but I really don't see any kind of repackaging done for R1.

The only thing I could conceive of would be a special retail pack that simply has the two half sets shrinkwrapped together, but that's just speculation on my part.
Old 09-18-06, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a pretty decent series but not "can't miss' tv. Has some really cheesy & predictable moments (the dreaded "let's-all-single-clap-in-unison" monster raised its ugly head in one episode right after the wife & I both called it) and tries too hard with the angtz. It's a shame that the writers don't show a little more creativity...they have a great cast to work with (even Apollo is less wooden than at first). Need to catch up on the last half of season 2 (which we taped). We both found it hard to get past some of the annoying & repetitious things such as the Cylon babe who kept appearing to the doctor & messing with his head...and we wanted to puke every time the actors had to deliver the cringe-worthy, childish "Frack" (or "frackin'", "frack off", "frack you", "frack me", ad nauseum). Seems that all the other standard expletives (damn, hell, sonuvabitch, etc.) made it to the Battlestar galaxy. I would imagine that the actors either find it hard to contain their mirth when they have to say the "modified-F" word...or they feel rather ashamed of such juvenile dialogue. Hard to imagine that any of the audience actually finds this to be clever. Having said these negatives...it's still a watchable show that has some entertaining moments and certainly has lots of potential for improvement. Just don't believe all the hype until you've seen it for yourself.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-18-06 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know the writers use frack because they can't use the F-bomb. But that isn't to say that however many years in the future this is, that frack couldn't be the new F-bomb. Things change over time, especially vernacular slang.
Old 09-18-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know the writers use frack because they can't use the F-bomb. But that isn't to say that however many years in the future this is, that frack couldn't be the new F-bomb. Things change over time, especially vernacular slang.
Or the past...