Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Thinking of watching Battlestar Galactica - worth it?

Old 06-26-06, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched all of season one in three days. Now I feel sick. It's that good of a show. Although I skipped the miniseries because I already saw it when it came out.

On a side note, does anyone know why only a handful of actors are listed in the opening credits even though there are a ton of people who are in every episode? At the very least, I figured Tigh and Chief would be in the opening credits.

And when are they gonna get Dirk Benedict on there?
Old 06-26-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought season 1 through the DDD 20% sale and watched the mini and the first episode that Friday after it arrived, then I immediately ordered season 2.0 on the last day of the sale. I zipped through the rest of season 1 and have been waiting impatiently for my other order to arrive since then. It finally came in the mail today and I am very, very happy (or at least I will be until I finish these episodes and have to wait for 2.5 to be released...).

Yeah, it's good. Check it out.
Old 06-26-06, 05:05 PM
Suspended

I've only seen the mini series and upto episode 4 so far. I'm not a big "sci-fi" TV fan. It's been about a couple of weeks since I saw episode 4 and I can't say I'm really compelled to start it up again, but the last episode was showing signs of hooking me. Generally though, if i really like a series I'll devour it very quickly and sometimes watch 4 or more episodes in a row.

If you haven't seen Firefly check that one out first and then Battlestar Galactica. I'll probably start BG up again soon though. It's a pretty good show so far, but I haven't been "hooked" yet. Maybe there is a point later where it'll really hook me. I guess I just felt this show will have big limitations if there going to be constantly running away from Cylons in space. I hope I'm wrong about it.
Old 06-26-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Personally I was hooked after the first episode of season 1, "33". Just a gripping episode-great premise.
Old 06-26-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer2005
I've only seen the mini series and upto episode 4 so far. I'm not a big "sci-fi" TV fan. It's been about a couple of weeks since I saw episode 4 and I can't say I'm really compelled to start it up again, but the last episode was showing signs of hooking me. Generally though, if i really like a series I'll devour it very quickly and sometimes watch 4 or more episodes in a row.

If you haven't seen Firefly check that one out first and then Battlestar Galactica. I'll probably start BG up again soon though. It's a pretty good show so far, but I haven't been "hooked" yet. Maybe there is a point later where it'll really hook me. I guess I just felt this show will have big limitations if there going to be constantly running away from Cylons in space. I hope I'm wrong about it.

Pretty much what I thought as well. I took a break from BSG around that point for a few months, then felt like watching something sci-fi related again, and popped the DVD back in. It does get better from there. One of the things I enjoyed about season 1 were the father-son moments between the Admiral and his son. Somewhere midway in season 1, you'll get more "character" moments instead of constant running away. It does get better, then dip a bit 2/3 of the way through season 2. Still, definitely worth watching.
Old 09-01-06, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Pretty much what I thought as well. I took a break from BSG around that point for a few months, then felt like watching something sci-fi related again, and popped the DVD back in. It does get better from there. One of the things I enjoyed about season 1 were the father-son moments between the Admiral and his son. Somewhere midway in season 1, you'll get more "character" moments instead of constant running away. It does get better, then dip a bit 2/3 of the way through season 2. Still, definitely worth watching.

Had to bump this thread. I recently started where I left off (episode 5) after a long break. I was hooked after the 5th and finished the rest of the season over in two days. I then got season 2.0 a day later and have finished 10 episodes in 3 days. Looking forward to 2.5 to be released.

I didn't think I'd ever like another space sci-fi show not named Firefly, but this one got me (I have always like thing involving machines taking over and the end of the world. Stuff like The Matrix & the Terminator series). It's no Firefly, but it's great and now one of my top 5 favorite shows I've been watching over the last several months:

Veronica Mars
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
The Shield
Old 09-01-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as we're talking about BSG...

Season three begins on October 6th.

Also, it looks like they are replaying Season 2 right now. The next episode is tonight (Friday, September 1) - Episode 213, "Epiphanies". Originally aired on January 20, 2006. There were twenty episodes total in Season 2 so this is a little past half-way.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/
Old 09-01-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking of BSG Season three...

Does anyone know how far behind Universal-HD is in broadcasting the episodes? Having recently got an HDTV, I'm considering putting off watching until I can do it in HD, but I don't think I have the self-discipline to actually do it.
Old 09-01-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*Flame suit on*
I've finished about 10 episodes in season 1, now. And while it is good, it isn't as good as I had thought it would be. The other highly touted serieses (who knows what that word should really be?) I see in here are usually spot on for me. Went at Sports Night/FireFly/Arrested Development/Freaks & Geeks/Veronica Mars/Rescue Me/Deadwood all blind and loved them all. This one is like a "So what?" so far. I think I am comparing it too much to FireFly and that was probably the best new thing I've seen, ever. I just don't see why BSG is getting so much hype among the geekomunity.
Old 09-01-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I think I am comparing it too much to FireFly and that was probably the best new thing I've seen, ever. I just don't see why BSG is getting so much hype among the geekomunity.
One advantage it has over Firefly is that it is still on.

I haven't got around to watching FF yet, but I plan to sometime.
Old 09-01-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I never gave a shit about this show but I just downloaded the feature on my 360. I may get into this series....
Old 09-01-06, 03:28 PM

I used to love the original BG when I was a kid. I watched the new mini series and hated it...but a friend got me into the regular series and I found out I was wrong and ended up loving it. However, the current show is not Battlestar Galactica...it uses the same names of characters, and a one sentence introduction might be similar...but its not the same its far better. I call it !BG and its by far the best show on TV.
Old 09-01-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I never gave a shit about this show but I just downloaded the feature on my 360. I may get into this series....
This show isn't for everyone. If you hate watching good TV, then you probably won't like it.
Old 09-01-06, 08:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
*Flame suit on*
I've finished about 10 episodes in season 1, now. And while it is good, it isn't as good as I had thought it would be. The other highly touted serieses (who knows what that word should really be?) I see in here are usually spot on for me. Went at Sports Night/FireFly/Arrested Development/Freaks & Geeks/Veronica Mars/Rescue Me/Deadwood all blind and loved them all. This one is like a "So what?" so far. I think I am comparing it too much to FireFly and that was probably the best new thing I've seen, ever. I just don't see why BSG is getting so much hype among the geekomunity.

Season 2 is much better so far. Just don't expect it to be Firefly, but it is damn good. I'm not even into space sci-fi shows usually. This and Firefly are it for me at the moment.
Old 09-01-06, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Just make sure you stick with it until at least until episodes 5-7. The mini series was ok at best and I stopped watching it for a few months after episode 4. Not because thought it was bad, but it just didn't hook me. I eventually got bored one day and continued on to episode 5 and got into it a lot more. The next season is much better so far. It does get very good in the second half of the first season and even better in the second.

It's no Firefly, but it's damn good.
Old 09-02-06, 01:23 AM

because of this thread put it on my netflix, and now i have to wait until monday for season 2.....DAMMIT!!! very addicting (not like 24 has been on dvd or lost, but close...) (and yeah, i have no cable, so i have to wait to watch tv series on dvd...)
Old 09-02-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's no Firefly....
Besides being a great show it has THAT going for it, too.
Old 09-02-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sixerb
because of this thread put it on my netflix, and now i have to wait until monday for season 2.....DAMMIT!!! very addicting (not like 24 has been on dvd or lost, but close...) (and yeah, i have no cable, so i have to wait to watch tv series on dvd...)
Might be a bad time to tell you the mail won't be running Monday.

I just watched an episode of this off UniversalHD from near the end of season one, and meh. It was okay and all. I'll watch a couple more episodes and I guess I should really start from the beginning.
Old 09-03-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just started the show... I bought the miniseries over a year ago, but just watched it two weeks ago... I went to walmart that same night and bought the season 1 DVD, and while I'm only on episode 3, I'm hooked - its awesome!

I've been looking for a 'Buffy' replacement ever since 2003, and while this isn't quiet 'Buffy' it still works really well as a 'can't miss sci-fi show'
Old 09-03-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If not for the 'Not a big Sci-fi TV fan" part, I would have sworn there was a forum error and this was one of my posts. I was in the same situation a few months ago. Last week I watched another couple of episodes and while I enjoyed it more than the first few, I wasn't compelled to start a marathon viewing. Maybe I'll try another one this weekend.
Old 09-03-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a huge fan of the original Battlestar Galactica (and sci fi television in general) and I just finished watching Season 1 of the new series on DVD.... I have mixed feelings... it was good enough to make me want to see Season 2, but I don't think it had any of the magic and fun of the original series. Sorry, but everyone whispering in the dark with the camera shaking all over the place does not equal "serious drama" and Maybe I'm getting too old, but I think the model effects from the 70's were more impressive than cheesy CGI of today. I don't mind Starbuck being a chick but Cylons that look human? The Cylons were made by man? come on. Cylons are supposed to be a race of lizard aliens that had robot warriors. Overall a good show, but it just wasn't "Battlestar Galactica" to me. I think the new Doctor Who is a much better show. Still, I'm hooked and I look forward to seeing Season 2 for the new Battlestar.
Old 09-03-06, 07:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wmansir
If not for the 'Not a big Sci-fi TV fan" part, I would have sworn there was a forum error and this was one of my posts. I was in the same situation a few months ago. Last week I watched another couple of episodes and while I enjoyed it more than the first few, I wasn't compelled to start a marathon viewing. Maybe I'll try another one this weekend.
Strange.

How far along are you? See I watch mine when I have zero distractions and in the dark on my 9' screen so it's much easier to get drawn into whatever I'm watching. It gets even better and the second season so far is way better than the first.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 09-03-06 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 07:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Besides being a great show it has THAT going for it, too.
Clever.

It's not quite as great as Firefly, IMO. I am digging BG a lot now though and I love its serialized nature. It's a top 5 show for me currently. Firefly was better in the character & dialogue department easily though and would've become much more serialized the next season like all Whedon shows do. So, they each have their positives.
Old 09-13-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really have to admit Season 2 was much much better than season 1. I didn't like the last few episodes, but I did like where everything ended up. the middle 14 or so episodes were excellent.
Old 09-13-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clever.

It's not quite as great as Firefly, IMO.
Hee hee, just some good natured Sci-Fi teasing.

I'm not a Brown Coat, but I have some friends that are.

I've only seen Serenity and was not sucked in to investigate further. But I will say that my Cylon weenie is vibrating knowing that BSG is coming on soon.

So say we all!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.